English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 21 January 2017, 02:26   #1
fgh

CDTV adapter hell

Hi there!

Will this work?

CDTV hiding below the TV as a CD player.
/Me in couch with all wireless setup - CDTV remote, two playstation 2 pads, mouse and keyboard.

Ingredients:
- Black logitech wireless desktop with PS/2 for both mouse and keyboard
- DB9 mouse/joy adapter for CDTV (Y-type, autoswitching type, or brick-ette)
- Jerry+ (Or Tom+ or similar PS/2 version) autoswitching joy/mouse adapter
- Two DB9-PSX adapter cables and wireless playstation 2 pads
- Lyra PC keyboard adapter
- A 6 to 5 pin mini DIN stub cable with regular/a4k to CDTV pinout, or a Lyra with traumatized cable

Will this work, or is there anything I didn't consider?

Yes, I know it will be expensive, and I will win the price for most adapters in one computer ever (also SCSI-IDE-SD and 2+8MB ram), but a useful WHDLoad amiga in camouflage in the living room would be cool!

Frode

Last edited by fgh; 21 January 2017 at 02:42. Reason: typo
Old 21 January 2017, 04:05   #2
grelbfarlk

No it won't work since it's my idea and I'm not granting you a license to my copyrighted idea. But yes it should all work except you have to be careful about which PSX Wireless controllers you use. Also consider what you're going to use for a HDD controller, the CDTV SCSI adapter would work with just one of those cheap SCSI2SD adapters or go with the 68000+IDE+RAM boards. Also you would want to consider replacing the 68000 with a 68010 so you can exit WHDLoad without rebooting.

I never tried it but surely someone has set up a Workbench disc with WHDLoad on it so you might not actually need an HDD.
Old 22 January 2017, 11:49   #3
fgh

Thanks! Do you have this setup already?

Already got a 68010, and I certainly want a CF or SD in there, not going to rely on that old and slow cdrom.
SD adapter compatibility depends on SCSI-IDE adapter as well. That part I'll figure out.

In what way do the type of psx pad make a difference?
So far I've got a couple of wired sony pads, and ordered two of those cheap chinese wireless ones.

The part I know the least about is getting the wireless dektop working.
There are wireless mouse/kb combos that use ps/2, and some that come with usb for mouse, but can use ps/2 protocol with a simple adapter.
Hopefully the kb will work with Lyra and a patch cable.
Not quite sure what to do with the _KBSE signal though. Do you know?

I have a nice autoswitching adapter like Jerry+ but with ps/2 connector, and it has worked well on other amiga models.

Hopefully the autoswitching features of this adapter will not interfere with the autoswitching in Matze's DB9 adapter. If it does, there are none-autoswitching varints of both available.
Old 22 January 2017, 20:37   #4
grelbfarlk

Quote:
Originally Posted by fgh View Post
Thanks! Do you have this setup already?

Already got a 68010, and I certainly want a CF or SD in there, not going to rely on that old and slow cdrom.
SD adapter compatibility depends on SCSI-IDE adapter as well. That part I'll figure out.

In what way do the type of psx pad make a difference?
So far I've got a couple of wired sony pads, and ordered two of those cheap chinese wireless ones.

The part I know the least about is getting the wireless dektop working.
There are wireless mouse/kb combos that use ps/2, and some that come with usb for mouse, but can use ps/2 protocol with a simple adapter.
Hopefully the kb will work with Lyra and a patch cable.
Not quite sure what to do with the _KBSE signal though. Do you know?

I have a nice autoswitching adapter like Jerry+ but with ps/2 connector, and it has worked well on other amiga models.

Hopefully the autoswitching features of this adapter will not interfere with the autoswitching in Matze's DB9 adapter. If it does, there are none-autoswitching varints of both available.
For the CDTV keyboard you need to make a simple wire adapter between the CDTV and the PS/2 adapter you'll be using, then it works just like an Amiga Keyboard.

I don't know how Jerry+ works but Matze's DB9 adapter is pretty robust, though I have this strange problem where it doesn't recognize the CD32 buttons from the PSX adapter. Works fine in 2 button mode though.
Pretty much you just mash buttons on the gamepad or mouse and it takes control away from the CDTV controller. Mash buttons on CDTV controller to get control back, though this is based on whether it's in mouse or gamepad mode.

The PSX adapter is a little bit choosy about which PSX/PS2 gamepads it works with. Consult Kipper's doc on the list of supported controllers, I have a couple that don't work properly. I can't say which PSX wireless controllers work since I don't have any.

I meant you could just use the CDTV-SCSI module like this Matze version:
http://amiga.resource.cx/exp/mhcdtvscsi
People sell these on Amibay cheap pretty regularly.

Then for SCSI2SD one of these:
http://shop.codesrc.com/index.php?ro...&product_id=58

Then you don't need SCSI->IDE->SD, just SCSI->SD. Don't know if the SCSI2SD works with CDTV SCSI.

Or the other option is go with 68k IDE+RAM with IDE->CF adapter, that's a cheap option as well. (I think I said this above).
Old 23 January 2017, 10:10   #5
fgh

Thanks.
I have both a Kipper 508 and scsi-ide-sd already so I'll try both.
Figured out the KBSE in the patch cable, it just goes to gnd.
There is also a new pc keyboard adapter for cdtv on ebay (!) but I'll try the DIY way first.
Perhaps even a microsd card accessible from the memory card front? Ordered microsd extension cable today. ($2,50)
Found an ad for a cheap and local new old ps2 wireless desktop today. So I'm slowly getting there..
Would be cool to make a backplate to replace the video module with psx and db9 ports, and maybe even the Lyra.
Old 23 January 2017, 12:34   #6
grelbfarlk

Just connect the four normal keyboard signals, 5V, GND, Clk and DATA, anyway that's what I did for my adapter and it works. KBSE isn't needed.
Old 23 January 2017, 15:10   #7
fgh

ok. Even easier
Hopefully one of the new cpu boards will fit the cdtv.
68010 is enough, but a bit slow.
Old 24 January 2017, 20:02   #8
aperez

Quote:
Originally Posted by grelbfarlk View Post

I meant you could just use the CDTV-SCSI module like this Matze version:
http://amiga.resource.cx/exp/mhcdtvscsi
People sell these on Amibay cheap pretty regularly.

Then for SCSI2SD one of these:
http://shop.codesrc.com/index.php?ro...&product_id=58
Correction/Clarification: Michael (CodeSrc) no longer carries V5 boards. To the best of my knowledge, he is permanently out of stock. I am the global licensee of the V5 board, and have plenty of stock for the foreseeable future. You can buy these from the Inertial Computing store at http://store.inertialcomputing.com/S...csi2sd-v5b.htm
or, if you are in Europe, I recommend you buy from AmigaKit, at http://amigakit.leamancomputing.com/...oducts_id=1264

Quote:
Originally Posted by grelbfarlk View Post
Then you don't need SCSI->IDE->SD, just SCSI->SD. Don't know if the SCSI2SD works with CDTV SCSI.
It is known to work fine. See https://foederer.info/post/cdtv-pimped
Old 25 January 2017, 01:17   #9
grelbfarlk

Quote:
Originally Posted by aperez View Post
It is known to work fine. See https://foederer.info/post/cdtv-pimped
The one thing I'm wondering is what filesystem is used for >1GB drives, PFS-DS, PFS, SFS, etc nsdpatch or not, that sort of thing.
Old 25 January 2017, 09:20   #10
fgh

Anything using direct scsi.
= PFS3AiO or regular PFS3 in DS mode. (Or old version of SFS)

Edit: And NSDpatch doesn't patch the CDTV scsi, according to Toni Wilen.

Last edited by fgh; 25 January 2017 at 20:53.
Old 26 February 2017, 21:06   #11
patrik

Quote:
Originally Posted by fgh View Post
Figured out the KBSE in the patch cable, it just goes to gnd
If I look at the CDTV schematics, it does indeed look like KBSE is supposed to be connected to ground when a keyboard is connected (it is pulled up to +5V with a 4.7k resistor).

However, if I do connect KBSE to ground, the IR remote stops working completely - none of the 0-9 buttons generate keypresses, it doesn't generate mouse movements in mouse mode and doesn't work in games in joystick mode.

Feels like a very strange feature, why would one want to disable the IR interface?

Does a real CDTV keyboard connect KBSE to ground (and thereby disables the IR interface)?
Old 27 February 2017, 00:55   #12
grelbfarlk

I don't know what the KBSE is for, but it is not needed. A real CDTV keyboard does not disable the IR interface-that I remember, it has been a couple decades since I had a real CDTV keyboard but I distinctly remember using the remote while the CDTV keyboard was plugged in, sitting on top of the CDTV. I know I didn't go unplug the CDTV keyboard when wanted to use the remote.
Old 13 June 2020, 17:49   #13
arti

Is there an option for CDTV for using psx gamepad in cd32 mode?