English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.FS-UAE

Old 01 May 2023, 20:49   #1
cloverskull

FS-UAE on Ubuntu 23.04

Hey friends,

FS-UAE installs and works fine on Ubuntu 23.04, as does FS-UAE Arcade. However FS-UAE Launcher does not install. The reason is because it depends on python3–lhafile, and python3-lhafile expects python <3.11. Ubuntu 23.04 ships with python 3.11.

I’d love to be able to use the Ubuntu repos to install fs-uae-launcher (vs building from source). Anyone have any ideas how to move this forward?

I know python3-lhafile is open source and hosted on Frode’s GitHub. Is the best way to get in contact on here?
Old 02 May 2023, 00:32   #2
wiisoldier
Just loving the Amiga

Hi,
I haven't updated Ubuntu in a long while. I tend just to use FS-UAE on a stable version that I know works. However if you want to contact Frode you could try the discord server linked here:

https://fs-uae.net/support
Old 02 May 2023, 02:22   #3
cloverskull

Great recommendation, thanks! I've joined the server. Will see what help I can find there. Cheers.
Old 21 June 2023, 22:00   #4
cookieninja

I just worked around this. I did the following. It's been a really long time since I done any of this. I used to compile stuff and build the odd deb archive for private use many years ago. I had to go googling for the commands today tho:

# Download the deb
sudo apt-get download python3-lhafile

# Use instructions here on how to unpack and re-pack that deb archive
https://unix.stackexchange.com/quest...and-repack-deb

# Once unpacked open this file for editing. You need to increase the version number of python to something higher than the installed version. I raised it to 3.14
vi tmp/DEBIAN/control

# Follow instructions on the linked page above to re-pack the deb. Use a different one to the name of the original. I chose python3-lhafile_0.3.0-0_amd64-fixed.deb

# Install your modified deb, this will work now you edited the requirements
sudo dpkg -i python3-lhafile_0.3.0-0_amd64-fixed.deb

# Now install FS-UAE-Arcade
sudo apt install fs-uae-arcade

I've no taken any steps to verify that the FS-UAE-Arcade functionality that makes use of python3-lhafile works, however my guess based on the issue is it is probably fine. I reckon a small chance a minor fix higher than the supported version of python3 is really unlikely to have broken anything. It is working for what I wanted from it so far though!
Old 22 June 2023, 02:33   #5
DisasterIncarna

you could try installing FlatPak and just install FS-UAE from there, it includes the launcher, i use the flatpak version on Kubuntu no problem. I understand flatpak isnt installed by standard on newer ubuntu distros? isnt hard to install if you dont have it already.
Old 22 June 2023, 07:56   #6
cloverskull

Hey cookieninja thanks for the tutorial! I did this and have a working installation now. Appreciate it.

@DisasterIncarna I'm one of those guys that likes to keep one package manager. I tend to avoid flatpak even though I think it's probably the best multi-distro package installation solution out there, but I use apt to keep things simple.
Old 27 June 2023, 19:08   #7
cookieninja

Flatpack works on Ubuntu, but it's never been officially supported.

Nice to know there's another option, in case of any issues with the method I chose occurs. I'd quite like to know who to contact for a proper, official fix. I guess that'd be a good skill to use, and help a lot more people too. Some people don't like hacking around in the shell, using vi etc