English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Games

Old 17 January 2021, 05:34   #1
CryptidWorks

FPS Locking Games That Run to Fast

Decided to try to run WHDLoad games on an emulated Amiga 4000 with a 68040 and JIT enabled to see how they'd run on the faster CPU compared to my emulated A1200

As amusing as playing games at super-turbo-speed is I'm curious if there's a way within the Amiga software to lock game speed to get the benefits of the faster hardware mitigating slowdowns in more demanding AGA games while not playing in overddrive that breaks a bunch of stuff

[ Show youtube player ]
Old 17 January 2021, 09:30   #2
jotd
This cat is no more

what you're experiencing is a game programming error. You have to set "approximate A1200 speed" to make games run like vanillia A1200.

I've fixed a lot of those in a lot of games (Populous, ...). The explanation is often that the game syncs on vertical beams (all games do that else display would flicker), assuming that it missed one whole beam (making a 25Hz game), when the computer speed makes it NOT miss the beam.

So the game is 50Hz with an assumed 25Hz speed, and it goes twice as fast.

50Hz games don't have this problem, and some 25 or 17 Hz games do things properly by counting the VBLs. But some just do the simplest there is. Examples are numerous.

Lion King is probably one of them. Needs whdload fixing to be played at full speed for loading/init/ and respect game speed.
Old 17 January 2021, 10:38   #3
CryptidWorks

Quote:
Originally Posted by jotd View Post
what you're experiencing is a game programming error. You have to set "approximate A1200 speed" to make games run like vanillia A1200.

I've fixed a lot of those in a lot of games (Populous, ...). The explanation is often that the game syncs on vertical beams (all games do that else display would flicker), assuming that it missed one whole beam (making a 25Hz game), when the computer speed makes it NOT miss the beam.

So the game is 50Hz with an assumed 25Hz speed, and it goes twice as fast.

50Hz games don't have this problem, and some 25 or 17 Hz games do things properly by counting the VBLs. But some just do the simplest there is. Examples are numerous.

Lion King is probably one of them. Needs whdload fixing to be played at full speed for loading/init/ and respect game speed.

It actually works fine (abet, with some level of slowdown) on the emulated A1200 so it seems to be a bug unique to running it on an A4000 CPU
Old 17 January 2021, 11:21   #4
jotd
This cat is no more

If JIT is set, games really behave oddly. No real amiga can match that speed, and too much fixing is needed in that mode. I'm set on "fastest possible" no JIT.
Old 17 January 2021, 23:13   #5
CryptidWorks

Quote:
Originally Posted by jotd View Post
If JIT is set, games really behave oddly. No real amiga can match that speed, and too much fixing is needed in that mode. I'm set on "fastest possible" no JIT.
Made the gameplay itself run at normal speed as far as I can tell but the cutscenes in that game still turbo up so fast they're basically auto-skipping