English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware > Hardware mods

Old 30 August 2020, 19:11   #1
Echo Pox

Happy Mechanical Amiga 1200 Keyboard

So I decided to get some pcb's of aeberbach's Mechanical keyboard design. I think it turned out great! I need to find some blank keycaps to fill in the blank spots. Thank you so much aeberbach! It's wonderful.

Also, I learned a few things: white pcb burns at really low temp. So placing the iron the tips of the pins gives the best result.

I have 4 more PCB's... don't know what to do with them. Had to order 5.

P.S. - I need to find a left ctrl key. heh

Last edited by Echo Pox; 31 August 2020 at 04:22.
Old 30 August 2020, 19:22   #2
ExUnit
Right Herbert

wow, that looks lovely.
Old 04 September 2020, 14:48   #3
AJCopland

Great work! It looks good with that transparent case.
Old 07 September 2020, 03:14   #4
Echo Pox

Thanks, I want to try another gerb... this board is a bit long And does not fit in the original keyboard tray. There is another one on GitHub but it will cost about $100 per board to build.
Old 07 September 2020, 04:58   #5
aeberbach

Hey nice job! I have the same case. I do need to revise the PCB and 3D printing designs to make them fit better, though in the original A1200 case they are pretty good. It's an iterative process of improvement...

If you really want to make your keyboard perfect Signature Plastics are selling arbitrary size/legend keyboard combos. For example here is my A600 with one of my mechanical keyboards, using their keys (they even have Amiga keys):

https://imgur.com/Z7zNOwk
Old 07 September 2020, 14:56   #6
Echo Pox

Those are wonderful. How long did they take to make and how much did they charge?

Thanks again for the design.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeberbach View Post
Hey nice job! I have the same case. I do need to revise the PCB and 3D printing designs to make them fit better, though in the original A1200 case they are pretty good. It's an iterative process of improvement...

If you really want to make your keyboard perfect Signature Plastics are selling arbitrary size/legend keyboard combos. For example here is my A600 with one of my mechanical keyboards, using their keys (they even have Amiga keys):

https://imgur.com/Z7zNOwk
Old 07 September 2020, 22:38   #7
aeberbach

They took around two months to ship, about another month to arrive in Australia, and were around $180. Worth it? If I hadn't I would always have wondered.
Old 08 September 2020, 00:54   #8
Echo Pox

Not too bad for custom keys... I would love to get some purple with white lettering.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeberbach View Post
They took around two months to ship, about another month to arrive in Australia, and were around $180. Worth it? If I hadn't I would always have wondered.
Old 08 September 2020, 01:02   #9
Echo Pox

aeberbach, what did you use to re-enforce the enter and spacebar keys?
Old 08 September 2020, 02:20   #10
aeberbach

Under the keys you see two pairs of holes, and they will fit standard Cherry stabilisers. I like the screw-in kind but clip-in should also work I think. The A1200 keyboard uses a 9U space bar and that's where the stabiliser holes are set. If you can get a 9U space bar that's the best way to do it - but they are hard to get. If you can't, consider using a 3D printed thing like I made for the A600 - scroll down on this page: https://aeberbach.github.io/posts/20...iga600keyboard and you can see an assembly to use a 7U space in a keyboard that is supposed to have 8U. (7U is easy to get, 8U Signature Plastics only, pretty much)

You can find various other pictures of keyboards on the blog but most are r1 and r2, unlike the r3 that is current. I keep planning to do r4 that is a better fit in the a1200.net case since that is what I plan to keep and when I do will publish some more pics.
Old 08 September 2020, 06:39   #11
Jope
-

GMK in Germany might be a good source of 9U space bars. They had to pull it off for the Mega65 project.
Old 12 September 2020, 07:37   #12
Echo Pox

Thanks for all the help all. That keyboard company rocks aeberbach. Red and white!
Old 24 August 2022, 15:54   #13
catman

Hey, everyone who has made this keyboard (I've got it all working! thanks to aeberbach!) and ordered some keys for it, where exactly do you submit a custom layout on pimpmykeyboard?

All I can do it seems is add different subsets of the granite pack which adds up very slowly and to get anything close to a full set it's over $300 odd US without having a choice of fonts etc.

Got awfully close to making an OK set with WASD keyboards, but a few keys would be too short and they only do OEM profile which would be an awful mismatch due to varying row heights taken from other rows.

Edit: Thought I had it solved, $253 USD is cheapest I can get it without postage. This is for every key, F1-F10 ~` key etc... only way could get it affordable is half aliexpress

Last edited by catman; 26 August 2022 at 12:10. Reason: not solved.