English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 24 August 2020, 01:02   #1
Tony Gunk

Amiga 500 keyboard PCB replacement

Hello again

Not too long ago, I made a thread about some keyboard issues I was having, and it ended in me having to buy a new keyboard controller, as well as a replacement for the keyboard membrane. I was suggested by someone here to buy a new hard PCB replacement, like the one listed on Ebay here:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Premium...e3f4%7Ciid%3A1

I've just received it in the mail, as well as my new keyboard controller. I've put the two together, and reassembled my keyboard, only to find that it doesn't work at all. The controller was sold as working, and I'd assume the new PCB would have no issues, since it's a brand new part. Is there something I'm doing wrong? Any response would be appreciated as usual.
Old 24 August 2020, 10:43   #2
solarmon

If you test it with Amiga Tesk Kit, doesn't any of the keys work?

Does a CTRL-Amiga-Amiga reset work?

Does the CAPS LOCK LED blink one when you power on the Amiga, or reset it?

Show some pictures of how you have connected it up.
Old 24 August 2020, 21:21   #3
Tony Gunk

Here's a picture of the PCB connected to the controller. (I have all the keys off; they are currently being retrobrighted)

https://imgur.com/a/ONdkdIi

I'm using DiagROM v1.1 to test my keys, as I do not have a Gotek to use the suggested method. I noticed that the green LED for the caps lock did work, but the key itself did not. Ctrl+Amiga+Amiga also did not work, as neither of those keys were working. My arrow keys did work, and I was able to navigate the DiagROM to find out that about half of the keyboard works, and the other half does not. I went back and cleaned all the contacts, and plungers to make sure there was no debris that could be obstructing a key press, but nothing has changed.
Old 24 August 2020, 22:19   #4
solarmon

I haven't got a PCB membrane to compare against, but in your picture is does not seem to be clipped in? It might be different for a PCB membrane since it is thicker, but check whether you still need to clip it in.
Old 25 August 2020, 01:21   #5
Tony Gunk

I was told that the new PCB wouldn't work for keyboards that had a "double layered" membrane before, but I have no idea. The original controller was not double-layered, but idk if the new one is.
Old 25 August 2020, 10:00   #6
solarmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Gunk View Post
I was told that the new PCB wouldn't work for keyboards that had a "double layered" membrane before, but I have no idea. The original controller was not double-layered, but idk if the new one is.
I didn't say anything about 'double layered" membrane. I was referring to the clips on either side of the connector:

Shouldn't these be pushed in?
Old 25 August 2020, 14:43   #7
Jope
-

This black connector can likely only take in a ribbon cable. If this is a PCB replacement, it would require one of those more common white connectors, where you can take out the locking sleeve and then insert the PCB.

Just guessing, I imagine the PCB is not paper thin.