English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 22 September 2021, 11:24   #1501
Jope
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMIGASYSTEM View Post
The name of the DosDriver in my opinion doesn't influence on its functionality, in my systems I use Driver names invented by me and I don't have any problem in the various mounting volumes.

Example CD0 you can rename CDX, CDY or CDZ and it will always work the same way.
This is not a matter of opinion, it is a documented feature of the 3.1.4 and 3.2 CrossDOSFilesystem when it is running in hard disk mode.

So just to emphasize: no other filesystem driver I know of behaves like this, but this one does. Feel free to read the FAQ / other documentation included with 3.1.4 and 3.2.
Old 22 September 2021, 17:20   #1502
AMIGASYSTEM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jope View Post
This is not a matter of opinion, it is a documented feature of the 3.1.4 and 3.2 CrossDOSFilesystem when it is running in hard disk mode.
Thanks, read the FAQ, it's a pretty unusual convention.

Quote:
So just to emphasize: no other filesystem driver I know of behaves like this, but this one does.
In fact that's why it seemed strange to me, never happened that a DOSDrivers name could have this kind of function, there's always something new to discover on AmigaOS.
Old 22 September 2021, 17:43   #1503
Thomas Richter

A little bit of background on this: The overall problem is that there is no institution/software module on Amiga that cares about partition tables. The firmware of the boot hardware has to do it, and thus it is not part of the ROM (exception: scsi.device).

Now, PC harddrives use another partition mechanism than Amiga (Bios partition vs. Amiga RDB), and as nothing in the Amiga can read PC Bios partitions, CrossDos has to do it.

The question is now where the partition number you want to mount comes from. CrossDos uses the convention of the last letter of the device name. FAT95 the last digit of the "FileType" entry in the mount list.

The latter, is however, a rather bad idea. Consider that you have two partitions on a PC Bios disk. With the FAT95 convention, the DosTypes of the two partitions is different, and hence, FAT95 is loaded twice into RAM, which is wasteful.

This said, CrossDos (starting with 3.2) does also support FAT95 partition indication, but this is not recommended for the reasons already given.
Old 22 September 2021, 19:30   #1504
indigolemon
Bit Copying Bard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas Richter View Post
A little bit of background on this: The overall problem is that there is no institution/software module on Amiga that cares about partition tables. The firmware of the boot hardware has to do it, and thus it is not part of the ROM (exception: scsi.device).

Now, PC harddrives use another partition mechanism than Amiga (Bios partition vs. Amiga RDB), and as nothing in the Amiga can read PC Bios partitions, CrossDos has to do it.

The question is now where the partition number you want to mount comes from. CrossDos uses the convention of the last letter of the device name. FAT95 the last digit of the "FileType" entry in the mount list.

The latter, is however, a rather bad idea. Consider that you have two partitions on a PC Bios disk. With the FAT95 convention, the DosTypes of the two partitions is different, and hence, FAT95 is loaded twice into RAM, which is wasteful.

This said, CrossDos (starting with 3.2) does also support FAT95 partition indication, but this is not recommended for the reasons already given.
Love posts like that that explain the 'why' of things. Thanks Thomas!
Old 25 September 2021, 00:20   #1505
PeterK

Quote:
I think I have found a BUG. When we are inside the drawer that doesn't have an icon and we are doing cleanup and then SNAPSHOT the System crashes. Both WinUAE and Real Amiga.
I found the reason for the snapshot problem occurring when my icon.library and workbench.library v47 are both interacting. Since build #445 my library notifies the Workbench when a deficon is written by PutIconTagList() to disk by calling UpdateWorkbench(UPDATEWB_ObjectAdded). If I disable this call then the crashes don't happen. Edit: But I don't want to remove this notification, because it's correct and was forever a legal option for PutIconTagList().

It could be possible that my UpdateWorkbench() call is executed in the middle of an update that the new Workbench v47 now does itself, when the deficon has already been released from memory and before the internal icon pointer was updated with the real icon, or something like this. Then my call could get an invalid address as it has occurred in FreeDiskObject() ??

Update: Why does the Workbench not use PutIconTagList() with the tag NotifyWorkbench in order to update the deficons as my library does it? Then, this option could only be activated once! Additional update code in workbench.library is not necessary, because WorkbenchUpdate() can do that already.

Last edited by PeterK; 25 September 2021 at 11:56.
Old 01 October 2021, 09:57   #1506
digitalMedic

I was just told that the 3.2 Roms have a bug in them that affects Z3 autoconfig and it is likely causing an issue I am having. Where can we find more info on this and the extent of the problem? I didn't see any information on the Hyperion support forum and a search of this thread came up empty. I don't want to buy two new sets of Rom chips until the problem is fixed, especially since I am not keen on having to buy them again as it is. Thanks for any info someone can provide.
Old 01 October 2021, 11:30   #1507
hexaae
Bug hunter

AmigaGuide

Is it in to-do a Search feature, finally bringing you to the (first) page with highlighted matching text(s) in the whole page and Next, Previous (page) features?
Old 01 October 2021, 16:03   #1508
klx300r

Hooooo

Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalMedic View Post
I was just told that the 3.2 Roms have a bug in them that affects Z3 autoconfig and it is likely causing an issue I am having. Where can we find more info on this and the extent of the problem? I didn't see any information on the Hyperion support forum and a search of this thread came up empty. I don't want to buy two new sets of Rom chips until the problem is fixed, especially since I am not keen on having to buy them again as it is. Thanks for any info someone can provide.
hmm I’d love to know too before I install new OS3.2 roms in my 4000!

what zorro3 cards are you having (or heard others)issues with?
Old 01 October 2021, 16:09   #1509
digitalMedic

My CVisionPPC is not being recognized. P96 cannot see it. One of the devs said it might be from the bug in the Z3 auto config. Hoping someone here has some insight on the possible bug.
Old 01 October 2021, 18:08   #1510
klx300r

@ digitalMedic

ah sorry to hear that & hope there's a fix soon for it..hoping my Zorro 3 cards work fine with the OS3.2 roms
Old 01 October 2021, 18:32   #1511
gdonner
Ancient Amiga User

Quote:
Originally Posted by klx300r View Post
@ digitalMedic

ah sorry to hear that & hope there's a fix soon for it..hoping my Zorro 3 cards work fine with the OS3.2 roms
They should--this is the first time I've heard of any issue with the 3.2 ROM.

I can vouch for at least the BigRamPlus, ZZ9000, and X-Surf 100 (with Rapid Road) working fine with 3.2 ROMs on both the A3000 and A4000.

From my non-programming user view, it does seem like Phase 5 boards are more complex than most, and more likely to balk at any low-level AmigaOS changes or fixes.
Old 01 October 2021, 19:30   #1512
digitalMedic

I installed Cybergfx4 in the mean time and it works fine now. The P96 dev said he submitted at bug report to Hyperion and they have a fix that will be released with the 3.2.1 update. I will just continue with Cybergfx4 until then.
Old 01 October 2021, 20:14   #1513
klx300r

@ DigitalMedic

good to hear you got it up in the mean time.

@gdonner

I know what ya mean about the Phase 5 zorro cards ;-)
Old 01 October 2021, 22:44   #1514
Thomas Richter

Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalMedic View Post
I installed Cybergfx4 in the mean time and it works fine now. The P96 dev said he submitted at bug report to Hyperion and they have a fix that will be released with the 3.2.1 update. I will just continue with Cybergfx4 until then.
The issue with these cards is that they include a PCI bridge that is initialized by the proprietary P5 firmware upon boot. If that isn't run, or you disable it, then the card remains invisible.

If you are an iComp customer, please contact Jens. I send him a beta driver that includes init code for the PCI bridge. Whether this works I do not know, but at least I understand now a little bit better what the problem is.
Old 01 October 2021, 23:04   #1515
digitalMedic

Thank you. I appreciate your work!
Old 02 October 2021, 03:49   #1516
klx300r

Thumbs up

@ThoR

Once again thanks so much to you and all the OS3.2 devs/ testers etc….honestly us Amiga users wouldn’t still be here in 2021 if it wasn’t for you guys and the awesome Amiga Community
Old 04 October 2021, 19:02   #1517
gdonner
Ancient Amiga User

Quote:
Originally Posted by klx300r View Post
@ThoR

Once again thanks so much to you and all the OS3.2 devs/ testers etc….honestly us Amiga users wouldn’t still be here in 2021 if it wasn’t for you guys and the awesome Amiga Community
I second that--credit where credit is due!
Old 14 October 2021, 04:03   #1518
bdb

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdonner View Post
They should--this is the first time I've heard of any issue with the 3.2 ROM.

I can vouch for at least the BigRamPlus, ZZ9000, and X-Surf 100 (with Rapid Road) working fine with 3.2 ROMs on both the A3000 and A4000.

From my non-programming user view, it does seem like Phase 5 boards are more complex than most, and more likely to balk at any low-level AmigaOS changes or fixes.
Same here, BigRAMPlus, X-Surf 100 w/ RR, A4000 FastATA, and CyberVision 64 all working fine.
When I had the CVPPC, it was recommended to use the CyberGraphx V3/4 system, not P96; that was in a time of 3.1 ROMs. I sold my CVPPC when I bought a Mediator with a Radeon 256Kb GPU card - it was faster, with the Z3 RAM benefits, better resolutions and easy to set up with the P96 system (still in use on one of my A4000Ts with 3.2 ROMS).
Old 15 October 2021, 19:10   #1519
number6

@thread

There is an AmigaOS 3.2 presentation scheduled as one of the talks at AmiWest on Sunday.

Quote:
Brian Carpignano - What's new in OS 3.2
Broadcast schedule: http://amiwest.net/broadcast/

Please keep in mind that the broadcast link currently posted was used for some testing and the actual daily link will change for each day (Saturday and Sunday) and be listed on the above page prior to the day's steam beginning.

Old 15 October 2021, 19:14   #1520
Romanujan

Will he talk about OS 3.2.1?