English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > New to Emulation or Amiga scene

Old 17 February 2004, 11:47   #1
Swordlord

Games consisting of multiple .adf files

Hi there. Please someone help me with this!...

I'm having problems with games on multiple disks, like 'Mortal Kombat' and 'Mortal Kombat II'. They don't really work.

For MK1, I put in ...0.adf, I see the company's info, and then, if I left-click with the mouse, I see the word "AMIGA". If I leave it, it goes black and remains that way. If I eject the ...0.adf file right after "AMIGA" disappears, and put in ...1.adf, I get to see the 'Virgin' logo and the copyright screen. But after that, the game freezes forever.

With MK2, it's the same thing, but I have to swap more disk images to get to the copyright screen. I don't remember the sequence exactly.

I'm experiencing the same problems with other multiple-disks games, like 'Another World' and 'Arabian Nights'. I don't care about these 2 really, but I'm dying because I can't play my 2 Amiga favourites (MK1 and MK2). [I'm using WinUAE with AmigaInABox, by the way.]

Can anyone help me, please? Am I doing the swapping of disk images wrongly? Should I wait for a prompt? How long should I wait? Do I need to change the CPU speed? Try another emulator?

Thanks in advance.
Old 17 February 2004, 17:22   #2
Amiga1992

Re: Games consisting of multiple .adf files

Quote:
Originally posted by Swordlord
Am I doing the swapping of disk images wrongly? Should I wait for a prompt? How long should I wait?
Yes! You are doing it wrong! MK is one slow loading game and you should not change images unless you are prompted! Good thing this is no real Amiga otherwise you would be thrashing the disk drive big time :P How long shoudl you wait? As loong as it is necessary!

Wait for the requesters to appear. As a hint, turn on the onscreen drive lights feature, or put it in your keyboard's caps lights (I use this method) so you'll see the game is actually loading even if a black screen occurs.

I moved the thread accordingly, this is a complete newbie problem.

Hmm.. Playstation generation ;P
Old 17 February 2004, 19:10   #3
Enverex
Fantasy Man!

Make sure you are using floppy drive speeds other than Turbo or 800% as they can cause problems where the game gets stuck in a loop trying to load the data, but can't and just keeps trying indefinately.
Old 18 February 2004, 01:18   #4
Swordlord

Thanks for the answers, guys.

But, man, these loading times are ridiculous! The word "AMIGA" (written in colourful letters) disappeared 15 minutes ago, and nothing has happened since. Not even a "Software failure" message. Don't tell me it takes half an hour to load 3 screens!... Is it the same during gameplay? No wonder they tried the CD32 thing!

I don't get it. "The Addams Family" and other 1-disk games work so flawlessly!

Can you tell me how to turn on the onscreen drive lights feature, please?

Enverex, the CPU is 68020, and the speed is 100%. Do you know a better configuration for the MK games? Thanks.

Oh, and by the way, I'm not the PSX generation. I probably would have been (Genesis and then PSX) if I had lived in the States. But I lived in Romania until recently, so I'm the NES/Famicom generation.
Old 18 February 2004, 03:43   #5
Codetapper
2 contact me: email only!

Evil grin WHDLoad eliminates all disk accessing!

Get WHDLoad versions of the games and throw away the ADF's!
Old 18 February 2004, 04:39   #6
killergorilla
Lesser Talent

Re: Re: Games consisting of multiple .adf files

Quote:
Originally posted by Akira
or put it in your keyboard's caps lights (I use this method)
SHOCK! You emulate?!?!?!?!?!??!?!?!?!?!?!?!?
Old 18 February 2004, 06:02   #7
Swordlord

Thanks, Codetapper. I'm sure you did a wonderful job on the 2 games, but I think installing WHDLoad (and the other 3 programs) is a little too complicated for me, as a newbie. I had troubles installing WinUAE. Do you think a new guy could do it?

MK2 works for me now. There's a lot of disk swapping involved, but all the prompts appear promptly.

But MK1 still doesn't work. I think it freezes for some reason. Should I change the CPU to something lower? (I have it set to 68020. There are 2 values below and 3 or 4 above.)

If it's not too much to ask, can someone tell me when it's time to swap disks, 'cause I can't see any messages, even if I don't touch the computer for an hour.
Like I said, after I put MORTALD0.adf in, I see the Fairlight information, I left-click, the word "AMIGA" appears on screen. If I leave it like that, nothing ever happens.
But, if I swap MORTALD0.adf with MORTALD1.adf right after the "AMIGA" word disappears, the game continues for another 2 screens, the red 'Virgin' logo and the black-and-white copyright screen. If I let it be, again absolutely nothing happens.

I downloaded this game from 2 places and tried both of them. Could the files be corrupted, or something?

Thank you.
Old 18 February 2004, 08:00   #8
Codetapper
2 contact me: email only!

Quote:
Thanks, Codetapper. I'm sure you did a wonderful job on the 2 games, but I think installing WHDLoad (and the other 3 programs) is a little too complicated for me, as a newbie. I had troubles installing WinUAE. Do you think a new guy could do it?
All you need to do is unpack the archive and run the install kit and you will have WHDLoad installed. Installing software on the Amiga is far easier than the PC because every program uses the standard Installer program and to uninstall you just delete the program! Plus you can install it to RAM: and if you don't like the game, just delete it and you are done.

I would go insane swapping disks all the time on the MK games - why not just spend a few minutes and learn something new rather than guessing it's too hard and put up with disk swapping all your life?!?
Old 18 February 2004, 08:02   #9
Amiga1992

Re: Re: Re: Games consisting of multiple .adf files

Quote:
Originally posted by killergorilla
As I said before, I use it as testing grounds before I send to my amiga.

Hey, Stormlord, DO SET IT at 68000! MK wont work on 020. That is your problem. I fyou had the lights display you would see the game has locked.
Old 18 February 2004, 12:33   #10
mr_0rga5m
Tik Gora :D

Quote:
Can you tell me how to turn on the onscreen drive lights feature, please?
Hi

When you load up winuae, look under the 'Misc' tab and tick the checkbox that says On-Screen LEDS, or below it is the Keyboard LEDS assigning dropdowns.
Old 18 February 2004, 13:39   #11
7-Zark-7
Zone Friend

Lightbulb

You may also want to check out the following for configuration settings.
http://www.back2roots.org/Docs/Howtos/Configs/

Although the settings for their gamelists/WinUAE configurations are old in some cases, tinkering with the settings listed above will work with most games.

There were several Amiga models,hence certain games will not work with certain settings/kickstart roms.
Old 18 February 2004, 14:08   #12
killergorilla
Lesser Talent

Re: Re: Re: Re: Games consisting of multiple .adf files

Quote:
Originally posted by Akira
As I said before, I use it as testing grounds before I send to my amiga
I was only jesting, that's the only reason I use winuae as well.
Old 18 February 2004, 19:14   #13
Amiga1992

Ahh you jester. I bloody hate your avatar
Old 19 February 2004, 22:48   #14
Swordlord

Yes! Success! I managed to finally play 'Mortal Kombat' for Amiga, but using WinFellow (configuration for Amiga 500, but with 1024 kb, not 512).
WinFellow is so easy to configure, much easier than WinUAE. Especially if one follows some basic instructions from:
<http://cpc464.back2roots.org/page06.htm>
(Just thought I'd post this link if some other newbie has problems with WinUAE.)

Thanks, Akira, Enverex, mr_0rga5m and 7-Zark-7!

And thanks to Codetapper. I'm in the process of using your WHDLoad installs. Thanks a lot, man!

Last edited by Swordlord; 19 February 2004 at 22:56.
Old 20 February 2004, 05:44   #15
Qun Mang
Klingon for Christ

Disk swapping is one thing that really annoyed me when I had my A500 and am reminded today with adfs. I don't mean just any swapping, though. I mean with those games that only support one drive. I put the two disks of two-disk games in df0 and df1, let 'er rip ready to play only to get the prompt "Insert Disk 2." With a sigh I remove both disks and reinsert disk 2, this time into drive 0, and press a key/button to continue.
Old 25 February 2004, 11:38   #16
Fred the Fop
flaming faggot

Re: WHDLoad eliminates all disk accessing!

Quote:
Originally posted by Codetapper
Get WHDLoad versions of the games and throw away the ADF's!
That is what I was going to say. And Speeding up emulation sure beats a slow loading floppy, eh Akira?.

Anyway, Swordy, why play the Amiga versions, with the one button jostick? The Amiga versions are horrible....terrible.

Play the Genesis or much better yet, the SNES version or MAME or PSX versions! Anything but the Amiga!
Old 25 February 2004, 13:23   #17
Big-Byte
Long time member

WinFellow is pretty good but unlike WinUAE has not been updated for years so dont expect everything to work as well in it.

Old 25 February 2004, 20:03   #18
Swordlord

Frederic, I started to play Amiga games only because I am a very big fan of Mortal Kombat games, and wanted to play all possible versions. (And now, the game.com version of MK Trilogy is the only one left. )

But the Amiga has some good games. I like 'The Addams Family', for instance. And it's quite different from the Genesis, NES, SMS or SNES versions.

Big-Byte: Did they stop working on WinFellow altogether, or they just didn't update it? What I'm asking is: can there possibly be more updates in the future?
Old 26 February 2004, 08:33   #19
whiteb
Fanatically Amiga.

Re: Re: Re: Games consisting of multiple .adf files

Quote:
Originally posted by killergorilla
Please dont get Akira started :P
Old 26 February 2004, 15:58   #20
7-Zark-7
Zone Friend

Unless he's overdoing the Dried Frog Pills again ,(DiscWorld in-joke there!),I'd say Fred was merely referring to MK 1 & 2 on the Amiga being average,(compared to MAME etc.), not Amiga games themselves being crap!

AFAIK, Winfellow was discontinued due to real-life matters overriding development time. Here was the last I think that'd been heard of...
http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?s=&threadid=6507

I wouldn't hold my breath!
Besides which, with the improvements since the bad old 0814/7x days, WINUAE has things very nicely covered nowadays.