English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 06 April 2021, 21:22   #4541
manossg

I decided to play Larry: Wet dreams and I have to say it well exceeds my expectations. It is a very good adventure game, close to excellent, made by people who obviously love the adorable lecher.
Old 07 April 2021, 12:08   #4542
Muzkat
Into the Wonderful

Decided to embark on my very first Resident Evil game, and choose the remake of the first one.

Early days yet, but it reminds me of Alone in the Dark. Very creepy ambience.
Old 12 April 2021, 17:46   #4543
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by gimbal View Post
Final Fantasy 15. It's... pretty good! Love the world design. Also I'm quite fond of the rather original combat system, finally something different. The Witcher 3 with a dash of Chrono Trigger.
So eh yeah. That was only the first half of the game. The rest is... pretty shit actually. Eventually the open world is gone and you get put on rails where the game pelts one boring fight after another at you and loses all sense of story. I could not believe it was happening to me, but no... it's how this game is.

You know you're in danger when the combat system is designed for you to fight it out in large open areas and then forces you to fight in narrow corridors... taking away most of your combat abilities and swapping them out for worse ones. What a disappointment. I shed a tear when playing Final Fantasy 7, I only sat watching in disbelief when watching the over the top cringy sequences that this game throws at you.

I'm really quite shocked that a game can be this two-faced.
Old 13 April 2021, 07:07   #4544
nivam

Revisiting Lucasfilm's masterpiece, Loom!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Loom_Boxart.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	73.4 KB
ID:	71569  
Old 16 April 2021, 13:56   #4545
Anubis
Retro Gamer

While testing MiSTer, played couple of games on Amiga core.
  • Lionheart
  • Pinball Fantasies AGA
  • Turrican
  • Turrican 2

SNES:
  • Gradius 3 (played to the end of the game)

C64
  • Turrican (played to the end of the game)

Played C64 Turrican CRT and on last level realized something is wrong - and game was not loading correctly. Had to restart floppy version of game (which is also made off the tape) and jump to last level to finish it. After credits got instruction to rewind tape and move to counter 30. I almost forgot all this fun from playing some old games.
Old 19 April 2021, 00:55   #4546
malko
Ex nihilo nihil

Fables & Fiends : The Legend of Kyrandia
One more finished adventure game to the credit of my mini-Godzillas
Old 19 April 2021, 01:36   #4547
Anubis
Retro Gamer

Completed Mega Turrican and Terminator 2 Arcade Game, both on Genesis / Megadrive.
Old 19 April 2021, 11:12   #4548
Patrickx1989

"You are Empty" - quite obscure, but entertaining Russian FPS on PC that I finally got to run under Windows 10
Old 20 April 2021, 14:10   #4549
galaxus

Frogger on a Radio Shack Color Computer 3. I'm preparing to test a new SD card reader designed for this venerable machine where one can mount disk images (very readily available on the internet) and run programs on these disks. One can also back up floppies to SD card, which I will do. Soon I will play 'Zork I' on this system after reading 'Ready Player One' by Earnest Cline for the second time (as a prep to read 'Ready Player Two' in the near future). But then I will return to 'Starflight I' on the Amiga 500, a game already 'in session' but very early into the starfaring story. (I've only discovered one habitable planet to date and I wager there are several more to be discovered).
Old 21 April 2021, 01:39   #4550
Nightshft

I just found out about Llamatron. This is an incredible game lol. After I saw what it does on the screen in Winuae, I had to try it on the real A1200, CRT and Stereo Speakers and wow that's a flash. After an hour of playing it's like your intoxicated =D

Also managed to find some interesting memory adresses with ThrillKill. For example it is possible then to trigger the "Oh Fu*k!" curse sample (when you die) without entering the same 4 chars into the highscore list (a hint I read at codetapper). For the interested: put a #1 into $0004335e.
Old 21 April 2021, 14:07   #4551
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrickx1989 View Post
"You are Empty" - quite obscure, but entertaining Russian FPS on PC that I finally got to run under Windows 10
Ha ha Mandatory Civvie11 review video about it:

[ Show youtube player ]

If you're looking for more obscure FPS games, it's a good channel to keep an eye on. "Singularity" by Raven Software comes to mind, the last game they made before they were turned into a Call of Duty factory.
Old 07 May 2021, 13:46   #4552
Anubis
Retro Gamer

Past week little time I had for games I've worked on MiSTer FPGA... Testing, preparing, installing, etc..

Picture from last night test - 486 core with DOS6.22 and Win3.11:

Old 07 June 2021, 13:31   #4553
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Metal Gear Solid 5... This is the first time that a game with this insane level of repetition actually stays fun for me. Probably because it's weird as heck. Did I just tie a balloon to a complete tank to make it disappear in a stealthy way? Why yes, yes I did.
Old 08 June 2021, 14:14   #4554
sparhawk

Playing Halo series for the first time. Never played it, when it was fresh, as I hadn't had an Xbox then, and I always thought it's not a good game. Last year I purchased the "Halo Masterchief Collection" on steam, and was quite surprised, because I though Halo to be a really good game. Played the first part, then started Halo CE and had enough of it. Didn't like the beginning of it, but now I was in the mood to continue, so I'm playing it now.
And I'm quite surprised again, because it turns out much better than I remembered it. I didn't like the start because I was running around in the labyrinth of the space ship where you are, but after that it gets much better IMO.
Still, from todays perspective Halo might be considered bad, because there are no constant reminders and hints and whatnot that point you in the right direction. I often run around in the level and try to figure out where to go next, but after learning to put more attention to the level details, I guess I figured out how to better progress.

The only thing that I don't like about it is that the levels are so huge, but often empty. I like to explore the levels to see if I can find stuff, but in 99% there is none. Doom was better in that regard, because you could find hidden parts of the levels.
Old 13 June 2021, 23:10   #4555
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Because GOG was having a sale I picked up a couple of DOS classics... so I've been playing games with really ridiculously bad control schemes. Magic Carpet Plus (because I like games where you throw really overpowered spells) and Crusader: No Remorse. Seriously... whoever came up with the control scheme of Crusader is a tyrant.

Still good games though.
Old 14 June 2021, 16:48   #4556
Anubis
Retro Gamer

I suggest to play it on PSX vs DOS. One of first games I purchased on Play Station.
Old 20 June 2021, 06:09   #4557
Muzkat
Into the Wonderful

Resident Evil Remaster - decided to abandon this game, as I couldn't deal with the fixed camera and limited save states. There are some parts of retro gaming that I just can't return to, unfortunately.

Resident Evil 2 Remake - this was much better IMO. I enjoyed every second of this game - the exploring, the puzzles, the boss fights. And the ambience was seriously creepy! I managed to complete it with Claire Redfield.

Control - I don't know why, but I am struggling to get into this game. It contains everything I love in videogames - epic shootouts, over-the-top super powers and plot, and a cool female protagonist - but it just isn't grabbing me. Apparently I'm halfway through the main campaign, so I will persevere.

Shadow of the Beast remake - I bought this a few years ago, but didn't give it much of a go. I'm playing it now and really appreciating it. The graphics are pretty, and pay homage to Psygnosis' moody style and ambience. I was originally dubious about introducing the "Points Challenge" element to each level, but now feel it's perfect for a game like this. Plus it actually feels like a SotB game, but for the modern age. Awesome!
Old 24 June 2021, 13:11   #4558
Anubis
Retro Gamer

Sending Kerbels into space...

Metroid on NES - trying to finally finish damn game...
Old 25 June 2021, 13:49   #4559
Anubis
Retro Gamer

Finally, after multiple times gave up on landing plane in KSP, just parachute it down.

And after couple of tries, was able to achieve stable orbit and after couple of days return to Kerbal.
Old 25 June 2021, 22:34   #4560
Biscuit
Baked Produce

Been playing Crayon Physics Deluxe. Using a tablet. Gets you thinking but I have a bad habit of brute forcing levels with all the grace of a 3 year old.