English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 28 October 2015, 19:57   #1
CaptainMancave

Whatever happened to Scipio?

Hey everyone, new to the forums here and with a burning question that has been bugging me for quite some time.

Does anyone know what happened to Scipio after they released Yo! Joe on the Amiga? I have tried finding more about them on google, but after the release of this game, they seem to have evaporated from the planet. I played Yo! Joe for quite some time when I was younger, so I was curious if they had been releasing other games since then.

Any help would be great.

Old 28 October 2015, 20:05   #2
s2325
Zone Friend

Graphician Harald Kuhn made graphics for 4 other Amiga games http://hol.abime.net/hol_search.php?N_ref_artist=131
Old 28 October 2015, 20:10   #3
CaptainMancave

Aaaah, awesome, this is at least something towards what I was searching for. You have no idea how much effort I put into finding some info about the company. Never thought of searching for the people behind the project. Thanks man .

However, did the company completely stop excisting after this game?

Old 28 October 2015, 20:21   #4
s2325
Zone Friend

They may just changed company name.
Old 28 October 2015, 20:23   #5
Amiga1992

Yeah I loved Yo!Joe and it's a shame Scipio didn't really make any other games.
Also that Hudson did not publish any more stuff. This was a true "japanese console-like" kinda game I enjoyed very much.
Old 28 October 2015, 20:24   #6
Predseda
Puttymoon inhabitant

Send a message via ICQ to Predseda
Also musician Michael Bialas worked on another Amiga game, but musicians were often freelance artists not stuck to one developer.
Old 28 October 2015, 20:30   #7
CaptainMancave

I actually just send Harald a message via e-mail, since I am a big fan of the game, I hope he will send a message back. Maybe he can share some light on what happened to Scipio . If I get more info, I will share ofcourse .

@Akira: It is a very nice platformer and definitely a game that takes time playing through and it was impressive for that era. One simple level could take up to 30 minuten of getting through if you try to get everything. Games back then took effort and true skill, even if they are looked upon as simple and old, they always had you coming back for more.

@Predseda: Nontheless, it was a good soundtrack, memorable and fun to listen to. The Turrican games are still a good example of how a soundtrack can give some extra atmosphere to a already good gaming experience.

Old 28 October 2015, 20:32   #8
Predseda
Puttymoon inhabitant

Hudson ceased to exist recently.
Old 28 October 2015, 20:37   #9
s2325
Zone Friend

Michael Bialas's music is also in X-ploit [ Show youtube player ] It's easy to recognize his work.
Old 28 October 2015, 20:43   #10
Amiga1992

Quote:
Originally Posted by s2325 View Post
Graphician Harald Kuhn made graphics for 4 other Amiga games http://hol.abime.net/hol_search.php?N_ref_artist=131
All those games predate Yo!Joe.
X-ploit too.

Seems like these people "vanished" from the Amiga scene after Yo! Joe.
Old 29 October 2015, 11:40   #11
jbenam
Italian Amiga Zealot

I've loved Yo! Joe as a child as well, and I'm really disappointed in knowing that Scipio just fell off the Earth after it! I suppose the group just disbanded after the downfall of the Amiga like many others did? Maybe they were working on some new game which remained unreleased...
Old 29 October 2015, 12:01   #12
Lord Aga
MI clan prevails

Yo! Joe was a reeeeally well polished game. We couldn't stop playing it until we finished it.

Too bad they disappeared just like that. We would've enjoyed more games like this.
Old 29 October 2015, 12:20   #13
Gzegzolka

I also wonder if they were working on more games or just they made "joint-venture" team for just one game.
Old 29 October 2015, 16:39   #14
Amiga1992

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gzegzolka View Post
I also wonder if they were working on more games or just they made "joint-venture" team for just one game.
The HOL data provided above suggests that these people have not done any Amiga stuff after Yo! Joe. Perhaps in other platforms, but not Amiga.
All people participating in it have credits either ONLY in Yo! Joe, or in few games that came before it. Nothing after Yo! Joe is in the database.

I'm pretty sure they went on to do console stuff, 1993 was a hot year for consoles and when people started to abandon the Amiga in favor of them.
Old 04 November 2018, 15:23   #15
Joe Maroni

Send a message via MSN to Joe Maroni
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akira View Post
The HOL data provided above suggests that these people have not done any Amiga stuff after Yo! Joe. Perhaps in other platforms, but not Amiga.
All people participating in it have credits either ONLY in Yo! Joe, or in few games that came before it. Nothing after Yo! Joe is in the database.

I'm pretty sure they went on to do console stuff, 1993 was a hot year for consoles and when people started to abandon the Amiga in favor of them.
They worked on the Genesis/Megadrive version which was nearly finished, but never released. The most annoying thing is that they had the binaries saved on
a SRAM card which was battery based driven. But after so many years the battery lost its power and the backup data on the SRAM card disappeared...
Old 04 November 2018, 17:47   #16
Gzegzolka

I am sure there was some fan made JoYoe facebook group, last time when I visited it there were lot of graphics from unreleased megadrive version, load screens and level maps, author of that group get them from developers. Also Moby Games is a good site if You want to check on what different developers worked.
Old 04 November 2018, 17:52   #17
Joe Maroni

Send a message via MSN to Joe Maroni
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gzegzolka View Post
I am sure there was some fan made JoYoe facebook group, last time when I visited it there were lot of graphics from unreleased megadrive version, load screens and level maps, author of that group get them from developers. Also Moby Games is a good site if You want to check on what different developers worked.
Yeah...this group was created by me...and i was who got the maps worked out from what i've got..

https://www.facebook.com/groups/153649824665141/
Old 04 November 2018, 18:31   #18
Predseda
Puttymoon inhabitant

Yo! Joe (Maroni)!