English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 24 July 2015, 11:57   #1
TikTok

Has anyone tried this 9 pin to USB joystick adapter?

I just came across this today. Advertised for the Genesis / Megadrive but should work with Amiga controllers. It seems to be one of the few adapters I have seen which supports more than 2 buttons. Several very good reviews.

Anyone tried it?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Mega-Drive-G.../dp/B00QRZ1HVS
Old 24 July 2015, 19:29   #2
dreamkatcha
I've got a new byline

I have no experience of that one in particular, but it looks like it would do the trick. I've got the Universal DB9 to USB joystick adapter which supports everything you throw at it and recognises more than two buttons. In fact I plugged a donkey into it once and used it to play Zool on my fake Amiga. True story, it's that good.
Old 25 July 2015, 00:11   #3
TikTok

I ran out of donkeys last week, but I ordered the adapter and will let you know how it performs!
Old 25 July 2015, 23:00   #4
dreamkatcha
I've got a new byline

I doubt you'll regret it, and my commission cheque is in the post so everyone's a winner.

I hear there are a lot of unemployed donkeys in Clovelly since drones were introduced.

...a joke 0.1% of the population will get. Nice one doofus.
Old 26 July 2015, 08:06   #5
MazinKaesar
Super Robot Pilot

I have an old apter it works with no drivers since Windows XP
Old 27 July 2015, 19:08   #6
TikTok

Well, the adapter arrived (nice and prompt). It is recognised straight away by Windows 8 and appears in the Game Controllers section of the control panel. Plugging my Amiga Zipstick in, the joystick is picked up as the POV hat in the control panel applet.

I haven't tried it in WinUAE yet but it works OK in Mame. Control is responsive, and the autofire switch works too.

Two potential issues:
The pins of the 9 pin ports are cut off quite roughly. While my Zipstick plugs in OK, my Megadrive pad won't - the holes in its ports seem much narrower. Looks like I will need to file down the pins on the adapter to round them off. This is a bit annoying since the build quality is otherwise good.

In Mame at least, pressing the fire button on the joystick seems to trigger button 1 AND button 2 at the same time. I can see this being very annoying in games where you can't remap the joystick buttons. I guess I need to get the Megadrive pad connected to see what happens with the buttons there.