English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Other Projects > project.SPS (was CAPS)

Old 06 March 2003, 00:17   #1
Steve
I Identify as an Ewok

Happy Problem with Setting Up PC2Amiga

I'm trying to dump some of my games for the fantastic CAPS project. I'm having trouble with PC2Amiga though on the PC side. I'm running Windows XP. I use PC2AMCFG and set eeverything up as it should be. I'm sure it's right because I've used Amiga Explorer for months with no problems. However when I try to actually run the stupid program I get this damn error message:

Quote:
The system cannot open COM3 port requested by the application. Choose 'Close' to terminate the application.
I'm using a serial cable with COM Port 2 and IRQ 3. Baud Rate set to 19200 bits per second.

If I try it as COM Port 1, IRQ 4 and Baud Rate as 19200 bits per second I don't get the error message just a dos box with the words "Amiga <-> PC Transferer" and a cursor flashing away. It's strange if this is it working because Amiga Explorer uses COM Port 2 and not COM Port 1.

I don't think it works with this setting because on the Amiga side when I use the CAPS Dumping Disk I get this error:

Quote:
FATAL ERROR: Cannot open 'serial.device' unit 0. Mount failed.
What am I doing wrong?

Last edited by Steve; 06 March 2003 at 17:19.
Old 06 March 2003, 05:40   #2
§ane

I have found you must use COM1 with PC2Amiga.

There is a "serial.device" in devs:?

What the first CAPS disk was missing by mistake.

For more relevant information refer to Fiath's post in this thread.
Old 06 March 2003, 10:40   #3
fiath

Thanks §ane! More stuff to put in the docs

serial.device: Woah, I thought I had fixed that... It may mean you have an older version of the dumping disk. Please contact contributions@caps-project.org, or copy the workbench (2.0+) serial.device into DEVS: yourself.

There is actually a new version of the dumping disk, which will be available in a couple of days (which is the one I will send you), I am just updating the old (1.5 years old!) documents, which is taking longer than I expected (especially since I wiped the largest one by mistake, and am having to rewrite it, doh).
Old 06 March 2003, 17:10   #4
Steve
I Identify as an Ewok

Thumbs up

Thanks a lot §ane. It works now.

I switched the serial cable to COM port 1 instead of COM port 2 as you said and changed the config file. When I tried the Caps Dumping Disk on the Amiga I kept getting a packet transfer error when trying to mount PC2Amiga:

Quote:
Cannot transfer packet for a long time. Check cable and PC software
After I spent a while fiddling about with the config on the PC side I eventually got it to work. I had tried setting the baud rate to 19200 and 57600. That didn't work so I tried 38400 and finally the Amiga accepted the link-up and it worked perfectly.

I did check and there wasn't a serial.device file on the Caps Dumping disk so I had to copy it from my Workbench 3.0 disk and I had no problems after that.

Fiath: The Caps Dumping disk I'm using is v1.1 (public beta) and Caps Transfer Tool v3.4. I've only had this version about a month.

Now I've managed to get the damn thing working I've ran the System Capabilites Check and I've come up with this file about my system. Hopefully my A1200 drives are in a good condition. I nearly had a heart attack when I heard the horrible grinding noise coming from my internal disk drive while running the test. I hope it doesn't wear or damage the drive in any way. Anyway let me know if my drive is up to the job. I'm looking forward to your new version of the Caps Dumping Disk.

Last edited by Steve; 06 March 2003 at 17:42.
Old 06 March 2003, 17:45   #5
Steve
I Identify as an Ewok

Cool

I've just redone my System Capabilities Check because I noticed there was some sort of error with the last DF1 disk write. It's been correctly checked now. Here is the new Log file.
Attached Files
File Type: log ctout.log (1.9 KB, 234 views)
Old 06 March 2003, 18:25   #6
fiath

Hmm, looks like I forgot to add that serial.device... Weird! I think there have only been a couple of people use it other than you though, quite amazing really. Anyway, I will make sure it is on the new version.

About the bit rate, the one on the CAPS disk is probably hard-coded to 33.6 - I will have to check that + put it in the docs as necessary.

Anyway, the results are that your internal drive is perfect for dumping - and it supports dumping to cylinder 83, which is always nice (you will be asked this later).

I could not check your DF1, because the most critial test (the first read test) was aborted, but using the internal drive is fine anyway.

Grinding noises: No the dumping tool is very careful about not doing anything that a drive won't like. Drive friendly (tm). You are more likely to get drive damage from most of the game loaders out there. But if the noise while dumping sounds terrible, let us know...

Again, probably better to wait for the new dumping disk - hopefully tonight if I get the docs written in time...
Old 06 March 2003, 20:30   #7
IFW

Just a side note on disk noises:

the "disk comfort noise" (as we all got used to it) is made as combined result of the disk stepping head and spinning.
When the head stepper motor is pulsed a click is heard. If you step the head slowly the click is audible for a longer time since the mechanics has time to produce a nice noise effect.
However if you step the motor faster, the clicks start to converge and a more monotonous sound, practically a tone can be heard in some cases.
The higher the head stepping rate the more likely the hearing of a tone, or less noise. Simply think of it as sound frequency and you'll get the picture. There is a huge difference between 40hz sounds and sometimes 200-300hz ones. The hz here actually means the head stepping per second. (plus of course the additional harmonics and distortion generated by the mechanics for the complete effect)

Unfortunately many games choose a high head stepping rate that eliminates the noise associated with head seeking, but potentially wears and damages the drive.
If you hear a fairly loud head seeking it is much more healthy to your drive, than the ones that you barely notice, those can practically burn the motor in the long run.
Old 07 March 2003, 00:10   #8
Djay
aka breakpoint

Quote:
After I spent a while fiddling about with the config on the PC side I eventually got it to work. I had tried setting the baud rate to 19200 and 57600. That didn't work so I tried 38400 and finally the Amiga accepted the link-up and it worked perfectly.
i'm having trouble with this as well, parallel lead though, can these settings be applied to LTP1...

i get the same error message on the Ami side...
Quote:
Cannot transfer packet for a long time. Check cable and PC software
i've been chatting with amitopc tech guys and the only thing they can think of doing is giving me another cable (free i might add, welldone!!!).. but i'm not so sure that is the problem

any info is great as this problem has been driving me NUTS all week... i'm running XP too btw...

some info for ya..

my PC is a
P4 2.0Ghz
640mb SDRAM
connected to NTL broadband via a standard 10 base hub
sitting behind a norton firewall/antivirus

any ideas?
Old 07 March 2003, 00:42   #9
fiath

Which error message do you mean? The timeout one? Have you tried using the debug server of the PC? (sounds weird I know, but it does seem to work on, for example unexpanded A1200's)
Old 07 March 2003, 23:30   #10
Djay
aka breakpoint

Quote:
Which error message do you mean? The timeout one?
yepp

Quote:
Have you tried using the debug server of the PC?
not sure what this is... i'm running XP pro
Old 07 March 2003, 23:41   #11
Steve
I Identify as an Ewok

Quote:
Originally posted by Djay
not sure what this is... i'm running XP pro
Fiath means have you tried running the program PC2AMDEB.EXE instead of the normal PC2AMIGA.EXE. It may help.
Old 07 March 2003, 23:53   #12
Djay
aka breakpoint

ermm.. no what the difference? sorry
Old 08 March 2003, 02:34   #13
fiath

Almost none, but we have had reports of the debug version working on unaccelerated A1200's were the normal version didn't.
Old 07 July 2003, 21:29   #14
ElectroBlaster

Send a message via ICQ to ElectroBlaster
Guys! Ive been told by many tech/hardware guru's that windows XP does not hit the ltp port directly like 98/se and ME does, hence why PC2Amiga wont work on the pc side if its running XPpro!

When I first hit this problem I wiped everything and dualbooted 98se and XP... set up pc2amiga on the XP side and it didnt work as expected! reset and booted into the 98se side, loaded up pc2amiga and it worked straight away slowly

Eventually I got sick of packet loss and jumped over to ethernet via a pcmcia card! alot less hassle to set up. *works with XP so no compatability problems!
Old 08 July 2003, 09:47   #15
manicx

Too much hassle there. If you have winXP, you boot in dos with a win98 boot disk, you use a freeware software to make your NTFS partition viewable from DOS and everything works fine.
Old 08 July 2003, 13:13   #16
ElectroBlaster

Send a message via ICQ to ElectroBlaster
@manicx

m8 what util is it? sounds interesting!
Old 08 July 2003, 14:33   #17
manicx

I used to have a freeware program. I can't remember its name. I switched to NTFSDOS nearly 18 months ago. The freeware version provides only read capabilities for NTFS partitions. I am using the proffesional version. I am not sure whether the freeware version will allow you to write on the HD. The reason for saying that is that I am not sure whether commands like copy are "locked" through the NTFS program. With the PC2Amiga software you just copy from the Amiga side to the PC. You can give it a try though. Freeware version can be downloaded from the sysinternals website.
Old 08 July 2003, 15:01   #18
Bloodwych

Try creating a small fat 32/16 partition on your current harddrive(s) or an old one, zip up any amiga files you want in XP, transfer the zip to the fat32/16 partition then boot into dos like manic said and away you go. Of course if you're copying files the other way round you'd zip stuff Amiga side first.

PC2Ami suffers NO packet loss (at least on my PC) if you transfer over one large zip containing the files rather then sending them separately. Plus you get around the DOS character limit.

Also on my PC, PC2ami resident runs slower than the non-resident (NR) version. With the NR, I get 40+ KBYTES/s Ami->PC and 24 KBYTES/s PC->Ami with a standard 68020 and parallel cable.

Last edited by Bloodwych; 08 July 2003 at 15:23.
Old 08 July 2003, 18:40   #19
mr_0rga5m
Tik Gora :D

Windows XP has port protection, hence PC2Amiga will not work.

This has been discussed/thrashed out/etc.. before in earlier threads.
Old 08 July 2003, 20:28   #20
Steve
I Identify as an Ewok

Roll eyes (sarcastic)

Quote:
Originally posted by mr_0rga5m
Windows XP has port protection, hence PC2Amiga will not work.
Quote:
Originally posted by ElectroBlaster
Guys! Ive been told by many tech/hardware guru's that windows XP does not hit the ltp port directly like 98/se and ME does, hence why PC2Amiga wont work on the pc side if its running XPpro!
Erm, helloooo!!

Are you guys blind? If you'd read the first few posts in this thread then you will know that PC2Amiga does work on Windows XP Pro. I know because I've dumped plenty of games for the Caps project. Hah!

Edit: It works when I've tested it with a serial cable. Maybe you're talking about a parallel cable transfer. Yes, that method doesn't work on Windows XP so you're half right.

Last edited by Steve; 08 July 2003 at 21:35.