English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 01 September 2021, 18:25   #21
saimon69
J.M.D - Bedroom Musician

Quote:
Originally Posted by malko View Post
You should not worry for such comments.

Don't forget that PC gamers need, among others, to have 8GB of RAM & 1GB HD space to play a remake of Zool.
So of course, seeing amazing games with top gfx & music that runs on stock A500 or A1200 is making a big hole in their <censored>...
Katana Zero - if we reduce colors, remove the audio track and open GL effects - might almost as well run in an A1200 from HD...
Old 01 September 2021, 19:12   #22
stevelord

All of these sites try to push people into clicking and commenting without engaging their heads first. The people giving you crap don't realise this is your first Amiga game. They think this is some pro studio thing that's not living up to their insane standards.

To me that's a badge of honour. It looks way better than anything I could do.
Old 01 September 2021, 21:38   #23
UltraNarwhal

If I'm to believe evey comment I've ever read about the Amiga 500, then it is a super computer capable of arcade perfect ports of any game ever and pees all over PC.

I look forward to all the comments about my games feeling 8 bit, not that there's anything wrong with that.
Old 01 September 2021, 21:44   #24
saimon69
J.M.D - Bedroom Musician

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltraNarwhal View Post
If I'm to believe evey comment I've ever read about the Amiga 500, then it is a super computer capable of arcade perfect ports of any game ever and pees all over PC.

I look forward to all the comments about my games feeling 8 bit, not that there's anything wrong with that.
Just. Believe. And be happy with 5FPS framerate, it helps [yup am ironic]
Old 01 September 2021, 22:33   #25
Tigerskunk
Inviyya Dude!

Quote:

And now I know Katakis still holds up to any modern game.
Old 02 September 2021, 02:53   #26
Pierre

Quote:
Originally Posted by grond View Post
Probably a lot of people overestimate the Amiga's capabilities because of its fame back in the day. If they looked at what Amiga games really were like, they'd probably would be quite disappointed. This doesn't mean those games weren't great in 1987-89, it was some of the best that was possible in home computer technology, it just means that "everything looks better in black and white".
100% agree. When I bought my Amiga 500 back in August 1988, the step up from my beloved ZX Spectrum 48k seemed like a quantum leap. Compared to the Spectrum's monochromatic colour clashing beeping games, all Amiga games with their per pixel colour, hardware sprites. bobs, dual playfields, smooth scrolling, blitter generated 3D, stereo sound and disk storage seemed amazing. The subsequent years then tainted this perception as new consoles came out and PCs took over the home computer market. I applauded anyone who is taking the time to develop new Amiga software and keep our community alive.
Old 02 September 2021, 02:59   #27
dalek

not that downvotes do much on youtube comments but I took the time to downvote all the negative comments for ya
Old 02 September 2021, 03:31   #28
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

I dont want to be the bearer of bad news, but you appear to actively look out for opinions you don't agree with and then react to them.

A reminder that polite suggestions from me on Facebook to you were not received by YOU in the way they were intended, I have no clue why you actively seek out dissenting opinion at all when you don't appear to be great at dealing with it.

If you are expecting universal praise for your game, tough luck, you won't get it.

You think you've got it hard? I see people commenting on videos of Turrican 2, slagging it off lol

Its not an Amiga thing, its human nature, you can choose to let those negative opinions affect you, or you could analyse if there is anything there of value to consider.

If there is nothing that those negative opinions can offer you.....move on, don't dwell on them, certainly don't post a thread giving morons airtime, telling them their opinions bug you, you will only embolden them to give you more.

If you're happy with the game, if plenty of people have supported you and bought your game to make your endeavours feel worthwhile, then that is all that matters.

This self flaggelation is a waste of time, you absolutely can not please everyone, you could deliver Z-Out levels of greatness, and someone would still find fault with it.

They don't care its your first game, they don't care how long it took you to write it, they don't care it was largely one guy that wrote it, they don't care, they've already moved onto another video to bitch about something else.

Your game is clearly liked by many, has been well received by many, I have no idea why you would fixate yourself on the musings of a tiny percentage that likely didn't even support you by buying it.

If someone doesn't like what I do, I literally couldn't care less, because there are plenty that do.

Embrace the positives.
Old 02 September 2021, 03:53   #29
lmimmfn

Youtube is an absolute cesspit, the most honest and good intentioned videos get downvoted and have awful comments.
Ignore the negative comments, youre better than that and above it.
Its honestly a waste of time dwelling on them, loads of Amiga fans love your game, focus on that
Old 02 September 2021, 06:42   #30
saimon69
J.M.D - Bedroom Musician

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmimmfn View Post
Youtube is an absolute cesspit, the most honest and good intentioned videos get downvoted and have awful comments.
At least we are not yet at "doxx and cancel" Twitter toxicity levels...
Old 02 September 2021, 07:06   #31
Tigerskunk
Inviyya Dude!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galahad/FLT View Post
I dont want to be the bearer of bad news, but you appear to actively look out for opinions you don't agree with and then react to them.
Honestly, I was almost expecting you to pick up on this here. Was just waiting for it.

Quote:
A reminder that polite suggestions from me on Facebook to you were not received by YOU in the way they were intended,
Yep, blackmailing me here was really polite.
Thanks once more for that.

Quote:
I have no clue why you actively seek out dissenting opinion at all when you don't appear to be great at dealing with it.
"8 bit cover disk game" or "looks like an 8-bit game" is not a dissenting opinion, it's simply "I wanna be an internet edge lord and need to spew out bullshit opinions so I get noticed" imo.

I am not Activision's PR department, and if someone attacks my work I am free to attack back as I see.

Quote:
If you are expecting universal praise for your game, tough luck, you won't get it.
Yeah, because reacting to that 'your game looks like an 8 bit game' insult is akin to "needs universal praise".

Quote:

You think you've got it hard? I see people commenting on videos of Turrican 2, slagging it off lol

Its not an Amiga thing, its human nature, you can choose to let those negative opinions affect you, or you could analyse if there is anything there of value to consider.

If there is nothing that those negative opinions can offer you.....move on, don't dwell on them, certainly don't post a thread giving morons airtime, telling them their opinions bug you, you will only embolden them to give you more.

If you're happy with the game, if plenty of people have supported you and bought your game to make your endeavours feel worthwhile, then that is all that matters.

This self flaggelation is a waste of time, you absolutely can not please everyone, you could deliver Z-Out levels of greatness, and someone would still find fault with it.

They don't care its your first game, they don't care how long it took you to write it, they don't care it was largely one guy that wrote it, they don't care, they've already moved onto another video to bitch about something else.

Your game is clearly liked by many, has been well received by many, I have no idea why you would fixate yourself on the musings of a tiny percentage that likely didn't even support you by buying it.

If someone doesn't like what I do, I literally couldn't care less, because there are plenty that do.

Embrace the positives.
The rest is a good text.
Thanks for that.
Old 02 September 2021, 08:00   #32
Tigerskunk
Inviyya Dude!

Quote:
There is definitely some weird nostalgic blurriness involved in what people remember about these old games, how they looked and especially how they played.

Yeah, I have fond memories of playing Katakis back in 1988 like anybody else, but it had basically 8 shades of grey and blue and played like a dog with random shit flying at you all the time.
Old 02 September 2021, 08:15   #33
saimon69
J.M.D - Bedroom Musician

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steril707 View Post
Yeah, I have fond memories of playing Katakis back in 1988 like anybody else, but it had basically 8 shades of grey and blue and played like a dog with random shit flying at you all the time.
Was defintely a poor man R-Type, beside on graphics also on the strategy - or lack thereof, but good until the real port did come out
Old 02 September 2021, 09:28   #34
malko
Ex nihilo nihil

@Galahad: +1.

@Steril707: Even applications (I mean "not games") get bashed strongly criticized. Look at OS 3.1.4 and now 3.2. Personally I dislike this Windows OS that I have to use at work (but I have to pay my bills), I think that most of "modern" games are way too much resources hungry for what they deliver.
Your game is what it is. Some like it, some don't. Examine the global without focusing on a specific side and continue what you like to do since many, if not the most, think you do it well .

Last edited by malko; 02 September 2021 at 21:17. Reason: One rewording after a PM exchange with gimbal. Thanks.
Old 02 September 2021, 09:54   #35
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

One person's "bashed" is another persons honest personal opinion. It is only as bad as the label that you apply to it.
Old 02 September 2021, 10:24   #36
Paulee_Bow

Quote:
Originally Posted by PortuguesePilot View Post
People are entitled to their opinions, regardless of you agreeing with them or not. Or don't you agree with this premiss? Why is everyone so perpetually offended by everything these days? Can't people just take on the criticism and move on? It's impossible to please everyone, so if YOU'RE pleased with your own achievements, that's all that matters. Personally, I think Inviyya looks, moves and sounds as good as an OCS game can and if it had come out in 1993 or so, it would be hailed as one of the best shoot-em 'up games on the Amiga hands-down. But for some people, in the post-emulation age, where everyone has played Neo-Geo or CPS1 shoot-em 'ups, it may look a tad too basic. Many people have lost their perspective. For these people, even Z-Out or Apydia look basic.

And as for the opinions themselves, this has been debated on EAB before: Amigans still expect AAA-quality games and they will compare any emerging new games to consecrated classics like The Chaos Engine, Superfrog, Rod-Land or SWIV. The Amiga saw its fair share of sub-par games back in its day and they were all very harshly judged by both press and public precisely because they used the great games as comparison standards yet those so-called "shitty games" were also someone's creation, someone's project, maybe even someone's "love-child". But in the end, people didn't care. For them, the game was either good or it sucked. This phenomenon will not go away. We're just gonna have to accept it, deal with it and keep on doing what we do. This means that anyone developing games for the Amiga must be strong enough (like everyone used to be back in the day) to not care about what anyone says and just push the game out as a personal project intended to please THEMSELVES and not others. Keep your chin held high and do not fall to these modern tantrums that everyone in our Western World is so prone to these days...

In short: Man up! And keep on doing what you're doing.
Shame on you.

The phrase “Man up” needs to disappear, and it will, thankfully. Here in this thread, an individual was looking for the opportunity to vent some emotional difficulties. Had this been a traditionally female space, some support and healing could have happened. But like so many things, old, rigid masculinity comes into play and that opportunity to vent is denied. The person’s needs are dismissed, he is given some “tough love” and told to chin up, but the feelings are never resolved.

And this is why we have such a high male suicide rate, people are ashamed to ask for help.

As to the reason why people seem more offended these days, (and that sounds like it offends you ) there’s a number of reasons:

1. Minorities have become bold enough to speak out, and say “this isn’t ok behaviour”.
2. People have different, innate levels of sensitivity. This can be affected by neurological differences like Autism. Some school bullying victims for instance, are pretty much unscathed, some need years of therapy. Years of hard hard graft.

And these innate sensitivity levels can’t really be changed, perhaps, like MAX, 10% either way in your lifetime if you really work at it.

You are not the arbiter of how everyone else should feel. So the answer to “why is everyone so offended these days?” Is because they are legitimately upset by another person’s actions, they are not “putting it on for attention” or for sympathy, they are legitimately upset.

As a mental health worker, it’s my job to try and help these people. So stop telling people to “Man up”, and don’t make my job harder than it needs to be.
Old 02 September 2021, 10:37   #37
dreadnought

Quote:
Originally Posted by xanderbeanz View Post
The phrase “Man up” needs to disappear, and it will, thankfully. Here in this thread, an individual was looking for the opportunity to vent some emotional difficulties. Had this been a traditionally female space, some support and healing could have happened. But like so many things, old, rigid masculinity comes into play and that opportunity to vent is denied.

*eyeroll*

If you really are a mental health worker, you should be much, much better in understanding and classifying different conditions and recognizing that OP is not some sort of trauma survivor and doesn't need "support and healing".

You just saw the phrase "man up" and jumped in with the sermon. And this kind of opportunism is precisely what everybody is tired of these days. It's also a big disservice to people with real mental problems, so you're actually making your job harder yourself.
Old 02 September 2021, 10:44   #38
Tigerskunk
Inviyya Dude!

I can hold myself quite well against those assholes on Youtube. And my idea of "manning up" is definitely not putting my tail between my legs and run away or "just take every beating and smile".

I really wonder though, and that's probably the idea about this thread, why a lot of people in the Amiga scene are still so toxic on its creative people ever after all these good last few years. I see it again an again. Definitely not only with my stuff, but with many others as well.
Old 02 September 2021, 11:26   #39
viddi

Quote:
Originally Posted by xanderbeanz View Post
Shame on you.

The phrase “Man up” needs to disappear, .......

As a mental health worker, it’s my job to try and help these people. So stop telling people to “Man up”, and don’t make my job harder than it needs to be.

Old 02 September 2021, 11:49   #40
Paulee_Bow

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreadnought View Post
*eyeroll*

If you really are a mental health worker, you should be much, much better in understanding and classifying different conditions and recognizing that OP is not some sort of trauma survivor and doesn't need "support and healing".

You just saw the phrase "man up" and jumped in with the sermon. And this kind of opportunism is precisely what everybody is tired of these days. It's also a big disservice to people with real mental problems, so you're actually making your job harder yourself.
I responded to a sermon with a sermon, putting him right. Everyone has unseen issues, and my way, at least we’d be living in a more compassionate world.

And no need insult my work, that’s proper scumbag behaviour. What a low stoop. I’m embarrassed for you. I’ve helped 100’s of people.