English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Other

View Poll Results: Which is the best one to use..???
Amithlon 11 100.00%
Amiga OS XL 0 0%
Voters: 11. You may not vote on this poll

Old 24 June 2012, 18:21   #1
spannernick
Retro Nuts

What is the best Amiga OS for PC(Amithlon or Amiga OS XL)

I want to be able to boot the Amiga OS from my hard drive on my pc without using WinUAE..??

Which is the best on to use..???

I need help to do this cos I have never done it before so a setup guide would be good right now..

Last edited by spannernick; 24 June 2012 at 18:43.
Old 24 June 2012, 18:33   #2
ptyerman

Amithlon

Quote:
Originally Posted by spannernick View Post
I want to be able to boot the Amiga OS from my hard drive on my pc without using WinUAE..??

Which is the best on to use..???

I need help to do this cos I have never done it before so a setup guide would be good right now..
I voted for Amithlon as I have used it in the past and it is brilliant. A setup guide can be found here: https://www.box.com/shared/hisnu6o4lc
Alternatively, google for amithlon and you'll get all the links you could need!
Old 24 June 2012, 22:30   #3
prowler
Global Moderator

Yes, Amithlon is the way to go.

AmigaOS XL has stood still since it was released, needs a specific version of QNX (6.1 IIRC), and you can't do much with it when it's installed (I find myself rather playing solitaire on the QNX desktop each time I boot it up ).
Old 26 June 2012, 04:00   #4
shaf

I'd also recommend the Amithlon System. But there are a few issues to watch out for such as RAM Configuration , Audio Card and Chipset support. Almost any AMD Processor and NVidia Chipset can be used but keep the RAM to single channel and no more than 1 GB. Also the recommended Audio Card is a Soundblaster Live.
Old 04 September 2012, 16:07   #5
fishyfish
Banned

No need to keep to single channel RAM. In fact its better to use dual channel. Amithlon directly accesses hardware, so dual channel ram provides 2x the bandwidth. Using single channel on my core2duo amithlon box reduces performance quite noticably vs dual channel with some software. Keeping RAM to no more than 1 gig though is important.
Probably the best hardware to run it on these days is a core2/s775 system, but if youre buying hardware rather than just utilising what you have spare then I advise finding something with 3 pci slots (gfx/sound/nic) as otherwise you'll be restricted to VESA modes for graphics. I did buy a gf fx 5300, which is basically a geforce 5200 on a pci express bus (gf 5xxx is highest end gfx supported), but unfortunately it didnt let me use native modes.
As for cpu, if you do go the core2/s775 route then it doesnt hurt to go quad core. Although only one core is used the emulation of the 68k cpu benefits noticably due to the active core inheritting all l2 cache. This isnt true of AMD systems however as they dont have a shared l2 cache architecture.

It's still nice and fast on lower spec gear, but after having upgraded my amithlon system from an athlonxp 2400+, to athlon64 3500+, to a core2duo clocked at 3.86ghz I could never go back.
Contrary to what some people try to suggest there's always room for more grunt (euae, fpse, video, mame, etc.).