English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 27 February 2011, 11:20   #1
Dreedo

Price for A600 1mb RAM expansion module?

How much does one of these usually cost? Got a little money free (£30) and was hoping to expand my Amiga, but don't want to blow it all.

Thanks.
Old 27 February 2011, 12:01   #2
fitzsteve
Professional slacker!

Send a message via MSN to fitzsteve
Average ebay price is £20, I've seen them cheaper though - its just a case of keeping an eye out.

Maybe someone here has one for sale?

Or you could put your money towards an A1200, you might even pick one up for <£30 on its own since you already have PSU/Mouse. That would be a better investment.

Steve.
Old 27 February 2011, 12:03   #3
Dreedo

Yeah well im living with the grandparents and moving to my aunties soon, prob best not to go buying a new computer. My auntie does still have Amiga stuff however, she gave me 30 magazine cover floppies that i overwrote to store my games on. I think she still has an A500 somewhere, goodness knows where though. And most likely doesn't work, mustn't have been used for at least 15 years.

Thanks for the price range.

So far i want:

68040 or something = to that, 2mb of Chip mem, another floppy drive because i HATE swapping floppies. Or maybe just an HDD so i can skip floppies.

Last edited by Dreedo; 27 February 2011 at 12:13.
Old 27 February 2011, 12:37   #4
Zetr0
Ya' like it Retr0?

@Dreedo,

I have a 1MB Marpet A600 here, its yours for £20 and that includes postage if you want it.

hit me up on PM if your interested =)

In terms of an accelerator, the best you can buy is an 030 based unit ranging between 25 and 30 Mhz which will take a stock A600

Stock A600

MIPS = 0.65
IDE = 0.5MB

To something very close in speed and performance to that of an A3000

ACA630@25

MIPS = 6.2
IDE = 2.0MB
you can buy the new ACA630's from www.amigakit.com, if they are sold out there is always www.vesalia.de - although I will say to you what my wife says to me...

"if you want any more amiga stuff you will have to wait untill you get your pocket money.."

trust me.... no matter how old you are.... somethings just don't change...
Old 27 February 2011, 12:39   #5
fitzsteve
Professional slacker!

@Dreedo,

Bad news is there are no 040 upgrades for an A600 and the 020/030 ones that are avilable are very expensive.

For the A600 though if you do get a 1mb Chip Ram upgrade and a CF-IDE setup internally with Classic Workbench and Zetr0's AG Launcher you'll be able to play many WHDLoad games even on your 2mb setup.

This should all be possible within your budget.

Steve.
Old 27 February 2011, 12:45   #6
Dreedo

Yeah aren't there issues with a HDD bigger than 40megs on a 37.300 kickstart rev Amiga? Or doesn't that count with a CF-IDE adapter? Tbh a CPU upgrade is out of the question at the moment anyway.

Thanks for the offer Zetr0, but i'll hang onto my money for now.

Yeah i was mainly thinking of CWB when i was looking at RAM, but i suppose WHDLOAD might be a possibility also, never got it working in WinUAE though...
Old 27 February 2011, 12:54   #7
fitzsteve
Professional slacker!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreedo View Post
Yeah aren't there issues with a HDD bigger than 40megs on a 37.300 kickstart rev Amiga? Or doesn't that count with a CF-IDE adapter? Tbh a CPU upgrade is out of the question at the moment anyway.
Some people have reported this however I ran a larger CF card off one and it seemed to work fine although I soon upgraded to 3.1 rom which is a very good idea as you will be able to use CWB 68k which will be a very nice setup, again its all extra expense that makes looking for a cheap A1200 a better investment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreedo View Post
Yeah i was mainly thinking of CWB when i was looking at RAM, but i suppose WHDLOAD might be a possibility also, never got it working in WinUAE though...
Yes it will work well, I've tested Zetr0's loader on a 2mb Amiga and it works very well, some games take a fair old while to load but no more painful than using floppy's. But you must use WHDLoad 17 Beta
Old 27 February 2011, 15:04   #8
cosmicfrog
The 1 who ribbits

Send a message via MSN to cosmicfrog
Go for the HDD/CF option as soon as you can it makes life so muck easier
you have a good chance that the 37.300 will work fine

also take zetro up on that kind offer of his its a good price and if you take/use your A600 seriously you are going to need it, 2Mb of chip is the most we can have on real hardware but sometimes that dos`t feel like enough
Old 27 February 2011, 22:23   #9
Dreedo

Unfortunately doing deals on forums isn't possible for me, my parents are very strict on this type of stuff, would never let me do a deal over a forum. :/ Once i get a job or manage to get on job seekers (when i'm 18) and finally get my own bank account... I will probably be able to do deals on here, for now im stuck with ebay and amazon. Possibly Amigakit, but their prices are way too high for me. Can't even do paypal as the minimum age is 18, sucks.

Looking at a 1mb expansion on ebay but its untested, last time i bought an untested amiga item on ebay it didn't work, thats what made me buy a PCMCIA-CF kit so i wouldn't have to chance it anymore.
Old 27 February 2011, 23:24   #10
amigakit.com

We have one A601 memory expansion that has been repaired by our technician due to battery leakage. It works well and is covered by our warranty. However due to being a repair, we will be willing to sell it for a lower cost.
Old 28 February 2011, 14:00   #11
Arnie
R.I.P Smudge 18-08-16

@Dreedo

You could send Zetro a postal order, I'm sure he wont mind.

Just curious, how do you pay for your stuff from e-bay?
Old 28 February 2011, 14:18   #12
Dreedo

My parents have a Paypal account, but they wouldn't let me order over a forum, if i had my own i could however.
Old 28 February 2011, 14:34   #13
Arnie
R.I.P Smudge 18-08-16

So, what you are saying is, if you sent Zetro a P.O and a parcel arrived at your house, your parents would go mental?
Old 28 February 2011, 14:44   #14
deicidal
Registered Insane

If its just RAM your after couldn't you just get a 2mb SRAM pcmcia card, I picked mine up off ebay for about £20, or am I been a bit thick (which is quite possible considering the experts who have ventured information)
Old 28 February 2011, 14:51   #15
Zetr0
Ya' like it Retr0?

@Dreedo

no worries I can understand your concern (and your parents) - to be fair, my wife goe's mental every time I get a parcel LOL...

(remember what I said about some things will never change )

I would say that to placate your parents wishes and perhaps offer you some more peace of mind, www.Amigakit.com can certainly help you out - so if its applicable to you I would recommend you take him up on his offer =)

however there might be another way - how to sweet talk your parents

although this search result - might be omitted

Quote:
Sweet tea: Black gay men of the South - Google Books Result
unless you are thinking blackmail purposes by pretending you dad ordered it... =D

(*also remember that April fools is just around the corner too)

anyway, the offer for the unit and postage as I stated, I would rather the unit went to some one starting out that needed it - I could probably help you with ROM and Harddrive upgrade as well on the cheap.

so - learn how to sweet talk the parents - its a transferable skill I promise you =)
Old 28 February 2011, 14:54   #16
deicidal
Registered Insane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zetr0 View Post
its a transferable skill I promise you =)
Or don't get married :P , my gf get angry just looking at my living room/work shop.
Old 28 February 2011, 14:57   #17
Zetr0
Ya' like it Retr0?

@decidal

to get around that problem I tie mine up in the bedroom...

ohh.... that doesn't sound good reading that back.......
Old 28 February 2011, 15:02   #18
Dreedo

Quote:
to get around that problem I tie mine up in the bedroom...
Nope, doesn't sound too good. :P

I just found out, we're having to move again.... and possibly again after that, Amigakit tempted me with £17 for the upgrade, plus a 6month warranty, but unfortunately my Amiga will have to go back in its box, after just getting it out today. :'(

The sweet talking parents bit.... that was odd.

@Arnie, well if my parents found out i'd just sent off about £20 of my money to some random dude on a forum, they would be like 'whaaaa?!?', they don't trust people online, and don't particularly like me being on forums, but they tolerate this as you guys help me with my Amiga.... and my dad likes Amiga's. :P
Old 01 March 2011, 11:58   #19
cosmicfrog
The 1 who ribbits

Send a message via MSN to cosmicfrog
Understandable but at some point you going have to trust
trust is how money works

also nothing stopping you opening your own bankaccount and paypal account
Old 01 March 2011, 13:09   #20
Zetr0
Ya' like it Retr0?

@Cosmi,

For PayPal I believe he needs to 18 to sign up, you can be 16 for a bank account without parents permission and 18 for an overdraft - for setting up direct debits you need to be 18 or over.

You can have your own bank count from any age under 16 with parents signing up with you at the bank =)

@Dreedo

That's a whole lot of moving your doing there.

Now, in regards to the "Sweet talking the parents" its important that YOU know you are your parents reason to be... you are the apple of their eye as it were - it is also your solemn duty to use that against them to get what you need/want.

[ Show youtube player ]

Use this power wisely young one.