English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Nostalgia & memories

Old 03 February 2005, 19:42   #1
Dastardly
Into the Wonderful

Predictions for the Amiga's Future?

What do you think it will be like in 10-20 years for all us Amiga fans?

Im not interested in what the future of the 'Amiga' brand is, more the whole retrogaming, amiga projects (HOL, APoV, CAPS etc), the forums and interest in general.

Do you think all us nutters will eventually fade away with the hassles of real life taking over or just simply getting bored of the whole scene?

Will forums like EAB be as popular? (or exist at all)

When all the games have been preserved and all the boxes scanned, what then?

Just curious about your opinions
Old 03 February 2005, 21:12   #2
Marcuz

ten years?! i can't even imagine what i'll eat tomorrow for lunch! and when i'm asked about it i get somehow disgustet at the idea of food, since i'm barely out of my soup. it's even worse when i'm asked what i want and i've a foot still wrapped in the bed sheets. ah! synchronicity!

what about play games?
Old 03 February 2005, 21:22   #3
Peanutuk

As a games player I would hope that there would be an easy way to play Amiga games online with other users. this would be more likely as bandwith and speed increase and would certainly bring the community closer together; if only to enjoy a simulated kick in the guts.

My one fear is that as the idea of 'retro' gaming spreads companies may buy certain rights that they know little about in order to provide consumers with a retro gaming 'ideal'. This may lead them to try and enforce their property upon the retro community even if it has nothing to do with them.

If nothing happens to make the practical use of the machine easier or more worthwhile then the community may get smaller.

Last edited by Peanutuk; 04 February 2005 at 00:45.
Old 03 February 2005, 23:02   #4
pbareges

i have a dream

even if i was a hard gamer at the time, i do not play really anymore. my main concern is to collect as many hd games as i can for A1200 8Mo Fast 2GB HD (i also collect manuals and old magazines for tests).

my kids will be approx 7 years old in 5 years, and i want to offer them my fully operational killing machine instead of one of this degenerating consoles for their best christmas ever ===> this is my dream : to play the classics again with them and share the passion.

maybe this is the only real future possible for amiga spirit : accross the generations.
Old 03 February 2005, 23:27   #5
Amiga1992

Projection: As dead(or alive, pick what you want) as it is now.
Old 04 February 2005, 09:52   #6
woody57

Question If The last ten are anything to go by

Like other forgotten platforms of Dragon ,Amstrad etc it is only going to be the die hard few that use these machines at annual geek conventions

In another ten you will all be mostly like me pulling the kids toys out of actic after they have long since left home and recapturing your second youth as a father with the excuse to try out the " Kids " old presents to make sure they work before thinking of selling them on.

However since we will be talking the next series x-box and whatever Nintendo product hasn't fallen apart by then you will proberly be booting up an emu engine to show the grandkids how much choice there used to before Globbalgames Corp Taiwan became the sole surviving hardware and net-distributing software provider

The real future don't care I for one will proberly not be around to see it as the kids will get together and put me in a home , where they plug me into a virtual nurse feeding robot in 2015 and sell my spare organs to buy the latest plasma holographic telescreen for the Nurses rest room
Old 04 February 2005, 09:59   #7
CodyJarrett
Global Moderator

In 15 years' time...

- APoV will be on issue 245
- The HOL will have evolved into an Atari ST database
- CAPS will get around to replying to last week's batch of emails
Old 04 February 2005, 10:27   #8
RetroGeek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dastardly
What do you think it will be like in 10-20 years for all us Amiga fans?

Im not interested in what the future of the 'Amiga' brand is, more the whole retrogaming, amiga projects (HOL, APoV, CAPS etc), the forums and interest in general.

Do you think all us nutters will eventually fade away with the hassles of real life taking over or just simply getting bored of the whole scene?

Will forums like EAB be as popular? (or exist at all)

When all the games have been preserved and all the boxes scanned, what then?

Just curious about your opinions
I do not know about the future of Amiga, but I do know that I plan to keep mine for at least the next 30 years. I really do love the Amiga. It is my favorite computer of all time and I think that it should have won the computer war of the '80s.
Old 04 February 2005, 15:07   #9
leroq

in 10 or 15 years, all real Amiga machines will be dead, their condensators dried up, their chips corroded and electro-migrated...
Old 04 February 2005, 15:14   #10
pbareges

really ? i'm not so sure.... my old C64 is still working really fine (20 years old) so my A1200 (1995) should be fine ten years from now, no ?
Old 04 February 2005, 15:36   #11
Amiga1992

Yeah, would like to know further about this. My 20+ year machiens all work just fine. I think you are exagerating, though lots of these things happen when you DON'T -use- them.
Old 04 February 2005, 15:41   #12
Methanoid
Retired Quartex Sysop

In 3 years time....

Everyone will be so fed up waiting for the latest PowerPC or Coldfire accelerator that real Amigas will be dead on their feet.

AmigaOne is accepted as what it is.. nothing to do with Amiga!

WinUAE is into version 1.1 (whooooooohooooo!) - Toni is getting fed up looking for small tweaks to put into it as it just works fine....
Old 04 February 2005, 15:47   #13
Methanoid
Retired Quartex Sysop

Oh and in ten years

"The TOSEC dudes are still arguing about how to describe a title and users are still waiting for new DAT files" and "TOSEC is renamed to TVOSEC where V stands for VERY"
Old 05 February 2005, 01:28   #14
sarek2k
E.A.B Addict and Proud

Send a message via MSN to sarek2k
@Methanoid perhaps the Amiga One should be re-named to AmigaNone!
Old 05 February 2005, 01:35   #15
keropi

TVOSEC.... that's a killer! LOL
Old 05 February 2005, 09:55   #16
Methanoid
Retired Quartex Sysop

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarek2k
@Methanoid perhaps the Amiga One should be re-named to AmigaNone!
nice
Old 05 February 2005, 09:56   #17
Methanoid
Retired Quartex Sysop

Oh and 5 years time:

"Amiga arrives on a PCI card just as PCs and Mac switch from PCI-X to some new standard"

"Elbox announce an Amiga product and deliver it under 2 years late"
Old 05 February 2005, 14:29   #18
spiff
Oh noes!

10 years from now.. I'm probably emulating x86 PCs so that I can emulate winuae.. as no one else will be around to update or port once Tony is gone.

My CD32 will most likely be dead due to the CDreader crapping out and there are no replacement parts.

Doom3, halflife2 and a bunch of other games are released. When someone gets around to port the linux port to some amiga port since ppl still try to patch 3.9/ Morph.

Some one still tries to argue that Xcomputer (PCs) can’t scroll as smoothly as the amiga by using the marquee screensaver “argument”

Akira picks up a athlonXP at 1.4 Ghz then complains about how slow it is compared to his G7 mac. And then wonders why windowsXP is unstable when e he didn’t use a firewall or patch it.

If all of the above fails:
The amiga name gets slapped on another obsolete piece of hardware.
Old 07 February 2005, 23:59   #19
W.K

I predict it will continue to fade into obscurity until it's only remembered by the those who once loved it. But we who remember it, and lived it will know the magic of all those moments.
Old 08 February 2005, 15:11   #20
onkelarie

The amiga will be without a future. However, the UAE community will live on, with UAE or any other emulator that's hot around that time. For me, the amiga has played an important role in my life, and I will probably be emulating it to shreds until I drop