English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 07 December 2005, 18:57   #1
DamienD
Banned

Alien Breed - Remakes...

After reading the Shadowgrounds post (at least I think it was from EAB, although I cannot find it again), I did a quick search on the web for Alien Breed and found these:

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/xavnet/alienbreed/

http://www.mentalillusion.co.uk/alienbreed/history.php

The first one looks pretty cool. Haven't tried any yet though...

I'm sure there are many, many more. Anybody else know any cool one?
Old 07 December 2005, 20:16   #2
Calabazam

Seems interesting.
Bad luck it is PC only version. Would love an amiga version.
Old 08 December 2005, 01:30   #3
Zetr0
Ya' like it Retr0?

Heys guys, I have tried the PC version, and its identical to the Amiga version with exception of only 1player , but truley it is a work of art to be able spank it on the laptop

the latter http://www.mentalillusion.co.uk/alienbreed/history.php i cannot find a download for. i follow the links but there is nothing
Old 08 December 2005, 03:54   #4
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by DamienD
The first one looks pretty cool. Haven't tried any yet though...
Yes, D. The first one looks awesome, probably made with the ripped amiga sprites & sounds. But the resolution seems to be higher, and you can save your game. Last but not least, the joypad control is very smooth.
Old 08 December 2005, 11:09   #5
Phiber
Hardware Freak

Send a message via MSN to Phiber
Heres' a Alien Breed Remake for the PC's... called Alien Breed - Obliteration

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/xavnet/alienbreed/

Check it out..

Edit: oops.. it was already posted earlier on this thread...

The only snag i could see or hear, is that the music seems to be played a bit too fast(?) atleast what i can remember and confirm by playing the original with WinUAE and on a real amiga...
Old 08 December 2005, 13:00   #6
DamienD
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zetr0
the latter http://www.mentalillusion.co.uk/alienbreed/history.php i cannot find a download for. i follow the links but there is nothing
Your right, had a quick check around the site and definitely no links for download.

I've sent a contact e-mailed asking a few questions. Will post if / when I get a response
Old 08 December 2005, 13:52   #7
Methanoid
Retired Quartex Sysop

The second conversion seems dead and the guy's attitude "dont mail me asking when" kinda says "sod off not interested"... but the first looks very nice...
Old 09 December 2005, 14:43   #8
gifgit
Retarded and dribbling

Preyground looks quite good as a third person alien breed style game

Last edited by gifgit; 12 July 2009 at 12:43.
Old 09 December 2005, 14:45   #9
DamienD
Banned

Definitely.

Looks like this is Shadowgrounds. Must just been a different name (beta or something)...

See this thread created by cebulba:

http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=21129

Last edited by DamienD; 09 December 2005 at 14:59.
Old 09 December 2005, 14:50   #10
DamienD
Banned

Hello all,

I had a response from Rob @ Mental Illusion. Here it is:

"Damien,

Hi. I started making a remake of alien breed, work has ground to a hault due to real life, just don't have the time to work on it. So far I've got most of the game in place, really the main work has to be done on the editor so I can cast it out to the wonderful world of the internet community and let people create levels and thus create a game.

There was a download, the download was free for the people downloading, however, with a 13mb file and over 8000 downloads obviously this isn't free for me.

Over the time I've been writing and hosting it I've had the grand total of £0 worth of donations, so clearly it the general populous didn't think it was worth any money to keep the download in place. Hence the download being removed. If I had bottomless pockets the download would be there, unfortunatly, I don't.

I'm sure I will return to it in the future and when that happens the download will return. Until then I'm afraid there's nothing to see apart from the screenshots.

Sorry about that, I just can't justify the cost.

Cheers, Rob.

http://www.mentalillusion.co.uk"

I wrote back suggesting that he could upload the file to TurboUpload http://www.turboupload.com/ and then create a link on his website to that. The reason why I said to use TurboUpload and not MegaUpload, or YouSendIt is that as far as I know the file stays permanently... Does anybody know this for sure, couldn't find any information on the site
Old 09 December 2005, 16:27   #11
woody57

Megaupload files LIKE files guarentee a file for LIFE for MEMBERS who maintain membership.

Turboupload IS FREE however it restricts the speed of NON member downloads to a crawl often as low as 3kbs even on a fast system hence it can take DAYS being conected just to get a small file.

The better suguestion for small file like this is FILECLOUD which ONLY needs an e-mail address NO MONEY for FREE FOR life 25mb account

http://www.filecloud.com/index.php?pop=25

Likewise downloaders MUST join but it costs them NOTHING & free accounts have to queue for up to 50 minutes.......BUT its IS FREE FOR LIFE & you can create as MANY FREE accounts as you can make e-mail addressess for so ......
Old 09 December 2005, 17:15   #12
DamienD
Banned

Cheers woody57, thank you for your suggestion. I'll pass it on to Rob

Hmmm, bit strange about TurboUpload. Whenever I've used it the speeds are alway between 150 - 300 kb / sec. Guess it must depend on where the files coming from, time of day, network use etc...
Old 10 December 2005, 18:53   #13
mtb

What about a sourceforge project?

It will be cool to have an open source game ( GPL or so ) so it could be ported to amiga / mac / consoles and so on if it don't use directx.
Old 11 December 2005, 01:55   #14
Hungry Horace
Wipe-Out Enthusiast

if this geezer wants somewhere to put his 13 meg file, he can put it on my site. sod all that paying nonsense, my brother provides my webspace!

i'll happily support anyone who loves The 'Breed, and i'd like to give this game a try just for the hell of it!
Old 13 December 2005, 07:55   #15
Captain_ Kal

I liked the Carrier Demo. Has anyone tried it?
Old 13 December 2005, 10:00   #16
DamienD
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hungry Horace
if this geezer wants somewhere to put his 13 meg file, he can put it on my site. sod all that paying nonsense, my brother provides my webspace!

i'll happily support anyone who loves The 'Breed, and i'd like to give this game a try just for the hell of it!
That's very kind of you. I still hven't heard back from Rob since the last e-mail I sent. I was thinking of pointing him to this board, particularly this thread, then he could get in contact with you if he liked. Good idea?
Old 15 December 2005, 11:42   #17
DaphydTheBard
AGF [PC] Games Developer

Send a message via MSN to DaphydTheBard
Just so you all know - once my Xenon 3 game is complete (probably march time) I intend to write an open-source AlienBreed Clone with a level editor.
Old 15 December 2005, 11:49   #18
keropi

wow, that shadowgrounds game looks AWESOME...
Old 15 December 2005, 18:45   #19
mtb

Quote:
Just so you all know - once my Xenon 3 game is complete (probably march time) I intend to write an open-source AlienBreed Clone with a level editor.
I hope not using directx but something portable like sdl opengl or so, so that almost every platform will be able to enjoy it.

If Rob @ Mental Illusion will release it under open source you'll certainly gain from the fact, or "finishing" the work or taking portions of code or only looking at it.
Old 15 December 2005, 19:51   #20
Zetr0
Ya' like it Retr0?

LOL, i have to admit i am tempted myself to re-engineer AlienBreed for OpenGL but also a FULL 3D Captive version too, maybe i can work with Daphyd on the former.

but i want more than just a remake though, there were (holds breath) some flaws, like alien AI needs an over haul and more alien types (instead of colours) combine this with a top down MULTIPLAYER aspect could also be cool.... hmmm vehicles.... i like vehicles expcially those with twin mounted jimpy machine guns....

INTERESTING.... we shall see what the new year brings.