English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Requests > request.Apps

Old 06 August 2022, 13:11   #1
BippyM
Global Moderator

Workbench Icon Sort and snapshot

Does anyone know of any tool that will go through a directory or directory structure setting certain Icon settings. Position, show all icons/only icons, sorting, optimal window size and so on?

Takes an age doing this all by hand
Old 06 August 2022, 17:34   #2
daxb

If ARexx Workbench port is available you could write a Script doing that if you do not find a tool. I would ignore Workbench icons and use an filemanager instead.
Old 06 August 2022, 18:15   #3
BippyM
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by daxb View Post
If ARexx Workbench port is available you could write a Script doing that if you do not find a tool. I would ignore Workbench icons and use an filemanager instead.

I use Dopus4, but it isn't always useful for launching games.. I also like my WB to be organised, neat and tidy.

I might see if an app can be written. It would be super useful
Old 06 August 2022, 18:19   #4
rmcin329
NOOB

If you do wind up writing an app to do this, would be nifty if it can be written to work with wb1.3 as well. Though i'm not honestly sure that'd be possible given that 1.3 is kinda limited.
Old 06 August 2022, 18:22   #5
BippyM
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmcin329 View Post
If you do wind up writing an app to do this, would be nifty if it can be written to work with wb1.3 as well. Though i'm not honestly sure that'd be possible given that 1.3 is kinda limited.

It might be something outside of my current abilities. It would need hooking into wb possibly.. Alternatively recurring through directories and reading the .info file and each icon etx to get width, height properties might be enough
Old 07 August 2022, 01:56   #6
Minuous
Coder/webmaster/gamer

Report+ can do batch processing on icons, but not currently these particular fields; they could be added in the next version though.

How did you envisage the position setting to work? Setting position as a batch operation is problematic, because if they are all set to the same position they will all appear on top of each other :-)

As for OS1.x compatibility, the program requires OS3.9+BB2 or later, but the icons themselves will work on OS1.x (although you will see the planar image instead of the glow image of course).

Last edited by Minuous; 07 August 2022 at 02:02.
Old 07 August 2022, 10:53   #7
AMIGASYSTEM

If I understand correctly what you are looking for, you would need some function similar to Scalos see screenshot, but also Magellan and MOS have similar tools that could be implemented on OS3 !

Last edited by AMIGASYSTEM; 05 January 2023 at 22:25.
Old 07 August 2022, 11:20   #8
BippyM
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minuous View Post
Report+ can do batch processing on icons, but not currently these particular fields; they could be added in the next version though.

How did you envisage the position setting to work? Setting position as a batch operation is problematic, because if they are all set to the same position they will all appear on top of each other :-)

As for OS1.x compatibility, the program requires OS3.9+BB2 or later, but the icons themselves will work on OS1.x (although you will see the planar image instead of the glow image of course).

Well here is why I have thought of this. I have purchased an a500 mini and installed aminimiga. Browsing through the directories I find the majority are set with "show all files" and none are sorted/arranged or snapshotted. I have been using workbench to hide files, and then sort the icons and window size automatically before I snapshot.

There must be a faster way to achieve this on a batch level. Select my games: drive and away it goes, subcursing through all directories and levels. Setting each how I specify, arranging the icons to whatever I set (sort by column, name, date or wherever else workbench offers" and then setting the optimum window size based on whatever options I set.

I don't know if arexx will work, as in.. Does wb have an arexx port
Old 07 August 2022, 12:29   #9
PeterK

Yes, WB v44+ has an Arexx port and Dopus5, too.

OS 3.2 has an Arexx script S:AutoArrangeIcons.rexx which should do what you want for a single open window on the Workbench.

And there is also an Arexx script for DOpus4 to open a window on Workbench for a directory that you have selected in DOpus4.

http://de.aminet.net/aminet/util/dop...nWindow.readme
http://de.aminet.net/aminet/util/dop...OpenWindow.lha

So, with a combination of both scripts you should come very close to a solution. You would just need to let DOpus4 do that for every directory in the tree.
Old 07 August 2022, 12:29   #10
daxb

Open a Shell and type:

rx "say show(p)"

to list all ports. If you find "WORKBENCH" then you have it. Workbench ARexx port was introduced with OS3.5 or 3.9. Documentation comes with NDK3.9.lha -> Documentation/Workbench/ARexx.doc

I don't know if it can batch but maybe worth a look: https://aminet.net/package/util/cdity/WinZoom

Edit:
Quote:
OS 3.2 has an Arexx script S:AutoArrangeIcons.rexx which should do what you want for a single open window on the Workbench.
It shouldn't be difficult to adapt it to your needs.
Old 07 August 2022, 12:32   #11
BippyM
Global Moderator

Thanks everyone. I'll take a look
Old 18 August 2022, 17:59   #12
EctoOne

There are some arexx scripts to sort icons in here, maybe one of those can help.
http://aminet.net/package/util/wb/THE

But it also requires at least OS 3.5 and some extra libraries.