English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 02 August 2021, 18:23   #41
dlfrsilver
CaptainM68K-SPS France

Send a message via MSN to dlfrsilver
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyzoo73 View Post
I would also add Bad Dudes Vs. DragonNinja to the list, even if not as bad as some conversions, it deserves a nice upgrade on the colors, music redone more competently, and I am convinced it would be very close to the arcade also on OCS.
Dragon Ninja use tons of unique colors. to be very close to the arcade, the 1200 is the only route. There's no way to have enough colors to make it justice on A500. and considering the amount of sprites running around plus the dual playfield, you're kinda stuck.

It's possible maybe to revise the program for A500, optimise it here and there or use possibly better routines, but that's it.
Old 02 August 2021, 18:28   #42
saimon69
J.M.D - Bedroom Musician

I actually remember DragonNinja (as was called in Italy) being one of the first games to take advantage of the extra RAM; what i would change is more copper in the truck scene that seems a bit bland else is OK for me albeit not a favorite; ah, and a better jump!
Old 02 August 2021, 18:37   #43
dlfrsilver
CaptainM68K-SPS France

Send a message via MSN to dlfrsilver
Quote:
Originally Posted by saimon69 View Post
I actually remember DragonNinja (as was called in Italy) being one of the first games to take advantage of the extra RAM; what i would change is more copper in the truck scene that seems a bit bland else is OK for me albeit not a favorite; ah, and a better jump!
the jump has been fixed already. Only the first revision of DN amiga had this problem. revision 2 is ok
Old 02 August 2021, 19:18   #44
Havie

Had a look at the Amiga version of Wonder Boy in Monsterland and compared to the arcade - had assumed that the arcade was full screen but no. Amiga version looks reasonably close to the arcade version to me (maybe scrolls a bit faster) - what am I missing or are we just wanting a more arcade accurate port?

Seems to me that if the port is 80% plus there already then it isn't worth the time reporting from scratch. Others may disagree...
Old 03 August 2021, 00:51   #45
saimon69
J.M.D - Bedroom Musician

Quote:
Originally Posted by Havie View Post
Had a look at the Amiga version of Wonder Boy in Monsterland and compared to the arcade - had assumed that the arcade was full screen but no. Amiga version looks reasonably close to the arcade version to me (maybe scrolls a bit faster) - what am I missing or are we just wanting a more arcade accurate port?

Seems to me that if the port is 80% plus there already then it isn't worth the time reporting from scratch. Others may disagree...
Earok did start to replace sprites with the arcade ones in 2018 if i remember, however there were some other differences that could bring the amiga port to be more arcade-y

Wonderboy in Monster Land SE
Old 03 August 2021, 12:00   #46
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Quote:
I can agree with 80% but the Amiga version plays pretty bad and other ports play pretty alright. The biggest loss is in the bosses, the Amiga version has really cut down versions that are almost no threat.

If I would do a remake, I would:

- try to make the bosses closer to the other ports/arcade version
- try to make the UI the same too for a bigger playing area
- fix the loading times
- fix the framerate
- make doors consistent, don't know why in the Amiga version they added automatic entering of doors where in other versions you have to knock on those doors
- remove the time limit altogether (maybe tie it to a "hard" game mode)
- double the amount of time it takes for enemies to respawn (again, maybe create an easy/hard mode)
- make the jump and attack animations closer to other ports
- change the attack sound to be less earwax liquifying
- reduce the strength of the bounce when getting hit
- when you are temporarily invincible due to being hit, make it so you don't friggin' keep bouncing when getting hit :/ Once is enough!
- slightly increase the chance for item drops
- 100% joystick control, no having to press space to enter doors

That is off the top of my head. I am not too sure about the behavior of flying enemies. They behave differently in the Amiga version but... in my opinion they behave better. Flying enemies in other ports are quite obnoxious.
Old 03 August 2021, 12:13   #47
acidbottle

Quote:

Totally agree, though nothing can beat 100% perfection, like those nifty mcgeezer and pink abyss ports!

Am working (slowly) through a port of starforce but am limited by the engine used in many ways so it will not be 100% accurate. The main issue is the semi random elements the game uses, such as weird cut off points to end and restart a level, cannot figure out how to achieve this!

However, I am well up for doing a port for Amigamejam, though do not know who else is doing what so would hate to see multiple ports of the same game happening, if only cos mine would suck the most

Was thinking perhaps Wonderboy ...
Old 03 August 2021, 13:43   #48
Havie

What's Amigamejam?
Old 03 August 2021, 14:13   #49
acidbottle

Quote:
What's Amigamejam?
Its this:

https://itch.io/jam/amigamejam

You have 6 months from now to create a game port of your choice, something for devs to get stuck into

Cammy and Bill were talking about it on his stream the other night, was first I heard to.
Old 03 August 2021, 20:19   #50
kremiso

ok, we already have the mighty Turrican soldier

...but what about Soldier of Light? does not deserve a better port too?
played a lot on real cabinet eons ago

the 'port' has different levels, all similar, true garbage
the c64 version was much closer, but also that...

imo perfectly doable, also on ocs
Old 03 August 2021, 23:24   #51
Cobe

I looved Soldier of light in the arcades. But I wouldnt say that ocs would be enough.
Old 04 August 2021, 00:42   #52
saimon69
J.M.D - Bedroom Musician

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobe View Post
I looved Soldier of light in the arcades. But I wouldnt say that ocs would be enough.
Hmm, 16 WELL CHOSEN colors for foreground/enemies (no DP) and 16 colors for the player sprite could be enough, a simulated parallax on some levels OR 32 colors with reduced screen size style Toki; should be doable with no problem from my point of view

Want to remind italian users that Soldier of light in italy is known as Xain'D Sleena
Old 04 August 2021, 01:37   #53
Cobe

Quote:
Hmm, 16 WELL CHOSEN colors for foreground/enemies (no DP) and 16 colors for the player sprite could be enough, a simulated parallax on some levels OR 32 colors with reduced screen size style Toki; should be doable with no problem from my point of view

Want to remind italian users that Soldier of light in italy is known as Xain'D Sleena
Well ok, it all depends how close to arcades you want it to be and how much headache and time coder would need to spend.
Old 09 August 2021, 22:24   #54
saimon69
J.M.D - Bedroom Musician

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobe View Post
Well ok, it all depends how close to arcades you want it to be and how much headache and time coder would need to spend.
Am honest, if was for me and i had unlimited $$$ would be almost arcade perfect even though just 256px wide
Old 09 August 2021, 22:25   #55
saimon69
J.M.D - Bedroom Musician

Added Chadderack interest on redo Black Tiger but, since he is still reverse engineering the ROM no promises on if will be done
Old 10 August 2021, 12:15   #56
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

I see that Xybots has also been added to the list. I agree with that one as well. The Amiga version is actually pretty good, BUT... the arcade version has extra animations and sounds which add elements of humor to the game. Just a simple flourish of blowing the smoke from the barrel of the gun when you killed all enemies, or casually leaning on the gun while going down an elevator.

I don't really see why those animations and sounds were scrapped in the Amiga version, it changes the style from a light hearted shoot em up game to something way too serious for its own good.
Old 10 August 2021, 18:43   #57
saimon69
J.M.D - Bedroom Musician

Quote:
Originally Posted by gimbal View Post
I see that Xybots has also been added to the list. I agree with that one as well. The Amiga version is actually pretty good, BUT... the arcade version has extra animations and sounds which add elements of humor to the game. Just a simple flourish of blowing the smoke from the barrel of the gun when you killed all enemies, or casually leaning on the gun while going down an elevator.

I don't really see why those animations and sounds were scrapped in the Amiga version, it changes the style from a light hearted shoot em up game to something way too serious for its own good.
Might have been RAM constraints: most games were ported for base A500, however they could have add it back with one meg but very likely they did not due to also time constraints

[edit] had to see again the port of xybots, is not only the smoke and animations, is the walls rotating, the color choices, the different wall patterns and the soundtrack in the back! Arcade was cool, amiga was like Aliens meet dungeon master while on acid (did work for Xenomorph and Hired Guns,though)

Last edited by saimon69; 10 August 2021 at 18:57.
Old 10 August 2021, 19:02   #58
saimon69
J.M.D - Bedroom Musician

As a little OT and mentioning Xenomorph, someone a while ago did a Longplay in youtube adding System Shock 2 soundtrack to it, and it fits really well! Maybe to do a loaded version with a soundtrack in-game on similar fashion?
(ok actually even a make up of the graphics at 32/EHB should be good, bandwidth-wise should be doable)

[ Show youtube player ]

Last edited by saimon69; 10 August 2021 at 19:09.
Old 11 August 2021, 11:30   #59
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Quote:
[edit] had to see again the port of xybots, is not only the smoke and animations, is the walls rotating, the color choices, the different wall patterns and the soundtrack in the back! Arcade was cool, amiga was like Aliens meet dungeon master while on acid (did work for Xenomorph and Hired Guns,though)
Yeah the wall rotations I can understand though, I was actually quite shocked that this game from the 80's already did that
Old 11 August 2021, 12:42   #60
BastyCDGS

Send a message via ICQ to BastyCDGS
Hello!

Quote:
Well we had the special edition with the graphics by Tsak and if someone can hack the music could help

I already converted Giana Sisters music to standard ProTracker almost a decade ago.

How to get? See this thread:
http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=80428