English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 19 May 2017, 06:54   #81
wawa

Quote:
Originally Posted by wXR View Post
@wawa

Great idea with the database. Actually that sounds like something our mate @gulliver is good at and likes to do. :-)
actually aros has such database:
http://aros.sourceforge.net/introduc...everything.php
but for one, it might be not up to date
secondly, components like shell commands, classes and libs might need to be checked against different versions of the amiga equivalents, if not the latest ones.

currently im not sure how to handle it. in case of zune my impression is that we are traing to keep maximal compatibility across the mui versions. that means, if there is a problem with some essential app, its tries to besolved if it doesnt negatively affect the otehrs. kinda minimax solution. may never reach 100%.
Old 19 May 2017, 11:21   #82
OlafSch

Quote:
Originally Posted by idrougge View Post
Workbench 3.9 has extensive ARexx support.
Magellan too (and is working on Aros 68k)
Old 19 May 2017, 11:28   #83
clebin

Quote:
Originally Posted by OlafSch View Post
Magellan too (and is working on Aros 68k)
Magellan's not a like-for-like swap and very "Marmite". For some it's a perfect WB replacement but personally I just don't like it.

I am partial to a bit of Marmite on my crumpets however (if this means anything to anyone outside the UK!)
Old 19 May 2017, 11:36   #84
OlafSch

Quote:
Originally Posted by clebin View Post
Magellan's not a like-for-like swap and very "Marmite". For some it's a perfect WB replacement but personally I just don't like it.

I am partial to a bit of Marmite on my crumpets however (if this means anything to anyone outside the UK!)
I had to google Marmite

I assume you do not like Marmite I guess

Magellan is very configurable, you could configure it like 3.1, of course you would not use many of its features then. I personal have nothing against Wanderer but it requires a lot of work to get it on a competitive level. Magellan is there and its open source. Alternativ there is Scalos too but Magellan has the advantage to be not dependent on Zune so you are much more flexible than if you use Wanderer or Scalos.

My answer was because someone mentioned 3.9 supports AREXX and my answer is you can use Magellan if you like with full AREXX-Support. Of course it would make sense to general update Wanderer for all AROS-Platforms but here we talk about 68k now.
Old 19 May 2017, 13:30   #85
wXR

Its up to you guys, but my vote goes towards things that are basically drop-in replacements for standard, unmodified 3.1 components.
Old 26 May 2017, 00:40   #86
Debvgger

Floppy disk

So, wXR, my views on this, are that you have kind and noble intentions but you are risking to inadvertently alienate a bit the AROS developers with your proposal. As a developer by heart, I think I truly understand why they would not want to go to Github or even accept your money at all. Let me try to explain, of course taking into account these are my views and may be, or probably are, absolutely wrong :-)

First of all, if it was a project where I work on in my free time, I would rather spend the limited time I have coding instead of learning how to deal with a site that I may not like. Github, as a social network, has a lot of nice advantages, but I personally don't like social networks, maybe because I'm really not that social after all.

There are concerns about the USA legal views on reverse engineering. These concerns may be founded or unfounded, but nevertheless the feelings are real and nobody likes to have concerns at all, especially if they come from something done for free. If I was giving my free time to this project I would not want to have to spend even one second fearing a future law change that puts me into trouble.

There's also something you have to take into account. The way the project is being developed may be good, bad, may be the right way or the wrong way, but long projects become alive on themselves and have their own mood, spirit, pace and shape. People working on AROS may be in the project because they like it in it's present form. Move it to Github and, maybe, this magic may be lost, even if a new magic arises and is even better.

If you want to help, and I'm sure you truly show that is what you want to do, then I would just ask the current AROS developers: I have this money, how do you think it would serve AROS better? Maybe you can spend the money buying a few Amigas for development and testing, with a range of accelerators, 68020, 68030, 68040... Get some Vampires and 68060s. Maybe paying for hosting, new development computers with lots of cores so compilation is much faster, give them SSDs :-) Get them licenses for fancy software tools, pay for accomodations if they want to go to Amiga parties so they can show AROS in action. This sort of actions would make their efforts enjoyable and everyone would feel as their super hard work is being rewarded. You may ask if they would like to do something you would like to see done. But that's all. I think it's not a good idea to tell them what they have to do, how to do it or when and where to do it. And be prepared to get a "sorry, no, thanks". It's their choice. Always will be. And that is good.

If for example you and your friends like to go to a pub and then I tell you I'm a fan of your conversations and I have a lot of money ready to pay for your drinks, but you have to go to another pub and maybe I have a list of the topics I would like you to discuss, then, maybe, maybe not, you would feel a bit weird when thinking about what I'm proposing. Suddenly, something you were doing just for the sake of it, because the challening discussions, the fun or the beer, becomes a second job. I don't think they want or need a second job, because if that was the case then they would not work on this project that is not a job.

I may be just projecting my feelings and because that I may be absolutely wrong. But, me at least, I code because... Because that is what I have to do. I don't need any motivation. I code because I feel like doing it. Throw money at some of my pet projects and then I don't want to work on them anymore, because now I have an obligation, goals to reach, dates to look at, maybe having to spend time justifying why I did something, why not, why in that order. And, for that, I already have a job. One I truly love too, where I have tons of fun when everything works as it should, but professional obligations have nothing to do with having fun in my free time. Just the fact of not having someone watching me already changes everything. I'm free to try crazy things if I want, to be right and to be wrong, or just not do anything at all because I'm tired or because I want to go out with my wife and my daughter. Because it's my time. You can't monetize that. At all. I would rather pay to be able to continue working on my free time projects as I do, than accepting money then feeling obligated to put work on them.

Maybe I'm just crazy, or stupid. I don't know. But at least I hope I was able to explain myself :-) Congratulations on being a generous person. If I'm in a similar economic position some day I will just do as yourself.

Last edited by Debvgger; 26 May 2017 at 00:58.

Old 07 June 2017, 13:52   #87
wawa

nothing came out of this as well as of os open sourcing initiatives. this whole arguing and demands towards working teams is a waste of time. one should engage in live project or let it be.
Old 08 June 2017, 15:07   #88
grond

There may be another way of supporting AROS development and do a good deed at the same time:

http://aros-exec.org/modules/newbb/v...orumpost104837
Old 08 June 2017, 19:52   #89
edmayn

As an alternative to github, perhaps gitlab should be considered?

Gitlab can be self hosted, which means the AROS devs are in complete control of the data, and perhaps more importantly the stack which stores it.

Check out the features here:
https://about.gitlab.com/features/

As a Linux sysadm by trade I am willing to put in the time for the setup, and maintenance of, a self hosted gitlab installation dedicated to AROS for free - if the AROS community is interested.

Disclaimer:
I am not affiliated with gitlab in any way or form, just a happy sysadm who maintains and uses a self hosted gitlab installation.