Dizzy
Pirate

If you tired of M$

Here you find lots of alternative incl for amiga.. http://www.microsuck.com/

Read and learn a thing or two
Old 10 September 2003, 18:54   #2
Twistin'Ghost
Give up the ghost

Great link, Dizzy. Unfortunately, the ones who need to look this site over the most will simply dismiss it as a fanatic site and remain in the clouds. For those who will only glance at it, here's the page from the site to "glance" at:

Why Microsoft Is So Bad
Old 10 September 2003, 21:25   #3
Drake1009

I liked the list of innovations, t hough I think that there are actually a couple on the pending list which should be moved to the truly innovative list. Not sure though, but they've certainly been pending long enough which should indicate that noone's been able to find prior art.
Old 11 September 2003, 17:57   #4
Unknown_K

Send a message via ICQ to Unknown_K
Blah Blah Blah

If the millions who say they hate Microsoft would just use something else then Microsoft wont be a monopoly anymore. So why do these millions not switch to something else? Did any of these millions support OS/2 by buying a copy in the 90's (I did)? How about BEOS?

You guys are like the democrats, you just bitch about how the competition sucks (Bush, I dont like him either) but dont have a plan to do any better. Come back to me when you have a viable platform to sell me and I dont mean the 100 little linux distros I have to compile all the apps for, Amiga OS 4 vaporware, or mac osx that has 0 games support and never will (plus the hardware to run it is expensive). Give me an alternative for the cheap commodity Intel hardware I already own.
Old 11 September 2003, 19:17   #5
Dizzy
Pirate

I hate M$, I use Windows XP, this system is a step in the right direction, but I don't like the way M$ behave, how they spy on us, how they do a log of everything you do every mail you read/write, without you can do anything about it... This is the way the old communist regime behaved, try ask anyone from former East-Europe how they feal about these spy-org (Stasi etc).
If the world was form by Bill Gays head you couldn't do anything without M$ knowing what you do...
Old 11 September 2003, 19:30   #6
Unknown_K

Quote:
Originally posted by Dizzy
I hate M$, I use Windows XP, this system is a step in the right direction, but I don't like the way M$ behave, how they spy on us, how they do a log of everything you do every mail you read/write, without you can do anything about it... This is the way the old communist regime behaved, try ask anyone from former East-Europe how they feal about these spy-org (Stasi etc).
If the world was form by Bill Gays head you couldn't do anything without M$ knowing what you do...
There are well publicised ways of removing the XP protection. There are also programs that remove the ad programs that gather data about your internet activities. With billions of dollars at stake I am surprised more companies dont try to monitor what you do on the net and captilize on it by selling you what you look for.
Old 11 September 2003, 22:48   #7
khephren

Quote:
I don't like the way M$ behave, how they spy on us, how they do a log of everything you do every mail you read/write
Could you give some examples of this?

For your information, ISPs store your emails, the web sites you visit and your IP address. Anonymous web browsing is a myth.
Old 11 September 2003, 22:53   #8
Dizzy
Pirate

Quote:
Originally posted by khephren
Could you give some examples of this?

For your information, ISPs store your emails, the web sites you visit and your IP address. Anonymous web browsing is a myth.
Read this http://www.microsuck.com/content/ms-hidden-files.shtml
Old 12 September 2003, 09:38   #9
Drake1009

And there's a small problem of application availability. I'd be on linux right now had I a way to play my games on it.

Considering running Linux beside my windows so I just boot windows when I need to play games or use some apps.
Old 12 September 2003, 11:12   #10
Mr Creosote
Evil Mastermind

Quote:
Blah Blah Blah

If the millions who say they hate Microsoft would just use something else then Microsoft wont be a monopoly anymore.
Amen to that! Did you know the visitor statistics of basically every self-proclaimed "Microsoft Hatepage" show up to 99% IE users?
Old 12 September 2003, 11:26   #11
khephren

Quote:
http://www.microsuck.com/content/ms-hidden-files.shtml
Ah yes, I have read that one.

The temp internet directories and history can be deleted from the browser and if I remember correctly, most browsers store the same information.

This is not spying!
Old 12 September 2003, 14:46   #12
Dizzy
Pirate

Wrong, the windows system have some log files you can't see, this is the one this article tells about.

When I bought a new harddrive, I kept the old one as second harddrive. When I had removed everything I needed to the new, I deleted the rest of the files incl the "hidden files" you can find in windows. Now my hardrive looks empty, but there is still used 200 Mb (and this is not the one you "loose" when formating a hardrive) This is the hidden log you can't see in windows.....

The same log police searching in when the confiscate you pc..
Old 12 September 2003, 15:43   #13
Drake1009

Strange, been some couple of months since I installed my win98 pc though. I tried looking at the files described and for some reason there wasn't anything in them since last time I cleaned up my history.

But then again, I use Mozilla mainly and maybe IE just removed it because it's outdated info.
Old 12 September 2003, 15:50   #14
Bloodwych

I've created a bootable floppy disk that clears those index.dat files, very easy to do using "deltree" DOS command. Can upload it to the zone for paranoid peeps. It will delete the contents of the temp directory, recent directory and EVERYTHING in the history/cookies/temporary internet files directories.

Although my character is whiter than white after using Daz automatic and I really don't care who logs my site visits, it's a useful disk to use before defragging the C: drive as these hidden files can get quite large over time.
Old 12 September 2003, 17:14   #15
khephren

Ok I apologise, I skimmed over it quickly, but just reread it properly.

If the police wanted to check what sites you visited and your computer was blank, your ISP would be able to tell them exactly where you have been.

This is not spying by ANY stretch of the imagination.

I do not hate Microsoft, but I ain't to keen on them either, but this is utter bollocks like the rest of the paranoid bullshit on the internet.

There is NO evidence that ANY information is sent back to Microsoft (in Messenger and WMP there is options to turn off the information, but then there is in WinAmp and numerous other programs but DOH! I forgot they are no Microsoft so they are above criticism ).

You think large companies who use Windows systems would tolerate information about their company being sent to Microsoft? No they wouldn't.

The only information that I know has been sent to Microsoft (and Adobe for that matter) is a check on the serial number for Windows during Windows Update on Server 2003.
Old 07 October 2003, 19:43   #16
Mojo

Send a message via ICQ to Mojo Send a message via AIM to Mojo Send a message via Yahoo to Mojo
Hey, that site used to be f***microsoft.com, I had an email account there!
Old 08 October 2003, 02:38   #17
gary

Quote:
There is NO evidence that ANY information is sent back to Microsoft
That may be true, but don't you thnk it is suspicious that they are storing internet usage information in hidden directories? They already store previous sites/cookies/etc in non-hidden directories so there is no excuse for another 'secret' location that is not cleared by the 'clear history/files' options.
Old 08 October 2003, 02:51   #18
Unknown_K

Its probably for law enforcment purposes.
Old 08 October 2003, 03:18   #19
adolescent