English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.FS-UAE

Old 11 December 2023, 08:35   #1
Sebiohazard

Question Folders & files recognition problem

Hello !

I use the latest version of FS-UAE (3.1.66) & for the Launcher (3.1.68). I unzipped both archives into an FS-UAE folder then created an empty file named Portable.ini.

After launching fs-uae.exe in FS-UAE\FS-UAE\Windows\x86-64 it creates different folders at the root of the FS-UAE folder such as "Cache" "CD-
ROMs" "Configurations" "Data" "Floppies" "Hard Drives"...

1. But these folders already exist in FS-UAE\FS-UAE-Launcher\Windows\x86-64 why are there two ?!

2. If I copy a file in the "Floppies" folder for example at the root of FS-UAE it is not recognized but if I place it in FS-UAE\FS-UAE-Launcher\Windows\x86-
64\Floppies why is it recognized ?

Thanks best regards !
Old 11 December 2023, 20:36   #2
wiisoldier
Just loving the Amiga

Hi Sebiohazard,
It's been a while since I used FS-uae on a Windows OS, so I booted an old laptop to check how mine is set up. On installation I created a "FSUAE" folder on my desktop and unzipped both files there (C:Users/wii/Desktop). After running the launcher a new FS-UAE folder was automatically created in "C:Users/wii/Documents" and this folder has all the usual sub-folders (Cache, Configurations, Data etc.). I assume that this is the default location for these folders.
The problem you may have (I don't know which Windows OS you are using) is that if you created the initial FS-UAE folder at the root of your C drive and not in the User folder, you may not have the correct priviledges on that folder. Try reinstalling the program in a folder in your Users/"yourname" folder.
FS-uae should not make two copies of the other folders. I am also using 3.1.68 and this was checked on Windows 10 Pro.
Checking on the FS-uae website it does recommend using the "Users/"yourname"/documents" folder for a portable install:

If you want to convert Documents/FS-UAE to a portable directory which you can move wherever you want, just follow these two simple steps:

Make sure FS-UAE and FS-UAE-Launcher are stored inside Documents/FS-UAE. I recommend storing them as Documents/FS-UAE/System/FS-UAE-Launcher and Documents/FS-UAE/System/FS-UAE.
Download the file Portable.ini and save it in Documents/FS-UAE.

I hope this helps
wii
Old 12 December 2023, 06:04   #3
Sebiohazard

Arrow

Hello thank you for your response

Exactly I don't want these folders to be in "My Documents" I hate that I want them all to be in the FS-UAE folder.

This is why I put the "Portable.ini" file in my "FS-UAE" folder which is located on another hard drive.

How to proceed ? GReetings
Old 12 December 2023, 06:35   #4
giantclam

https://fs-uae.net/docs/directories

'Base directory'

..happy reading =)
Old 12 December 2023, 06:57   #5
Snoopy1234

The preferred directory is a 64 bit folder. If it's like Amiga Forever it will utilize both 32 bit (x86) and 64 bit folders.