English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 01 March 2017, 16:45   #1
cypher007

a500+ repairable or bin?

just checked an a500+ I had in store after remembering about the battery thing. this is the result after cleaning with isoP, guessing its toast?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20170219_163026.jpg
Views:	216
Size:	520.7 KB
ID:	52299   Click image for larger version

Name:	20170219_163003.jpg
Views:	202
Size:	496.1 KB
ID:	52300  
Old 01 March 2017, 16:56   #2
indigolemon
Bit Copying Bard

It depends who you ask and if you're willing to pay some cash and send it off to someone. Mine was in a similar state, but has been resurrected by one of the geniuses who inhabit these very forums
Old 01 March 2017, 17:50   #3
Daedalus

Hello

Yeah, that looks pretty rough alright, but the A500 and A500+ are generally quite repairable. It won't be pretty, but damaged traces can be replaced with wire, and the chip sockets replaced with new ones. The problem is if there is any damage to the custom chips themselves, as they can sometimes be tricky to find as replacements.

On the other hand, if you'd rather get a pristine board, a dead board like that can be used for spares to help bring another 500+ back to life.
Old 01 March 2017, 18:18   #4
shaf

The board doesn't look that bad, simple socket and Gary replacement and a few TTL's should fix it. I don't see major trace damage.

Shaf
Old 01 March 2017, 18:21   #5
cypher007

interesting,

I thought when looking at it that it had eaten the traces, though haven't scratched the surface off to check.
Old 02 March 2017, 00:28   #6
idrougge

You don't see trace damage, you hear it with a multimeter.

This looks downright awful. I'd try to get a hold of one of those newly made A500+ replacement motherboards and transplant the chips to that one.
Old 02 March 2017, 10:51   #7
demolition
Unregistered User

Everything is repairable. Is it worth spending time on this compared to its value after the repair? Probably not. Retro computing is a money sink like classic cars so it is more or less irrelevant to discuss whether something is worth fixing or not. If you like messing with old computers and like fixing things, then go ahead. If not, give it to someone else who does.

I like fixing Amigas, but if I have to look at it from an economical point of view, it makes no sense at all. I might spend 10 hours fixing something that I could just buy in good working condition with maybe 1 hours salary of my regular job. But I need to spend my free time on something, right? I see it mostly as a 'meditation'/de-stress activity.
Old 02 March 2017, 11:32   #8
Zetr0
Ya' like it Retr0?

@demolition
Quote:
Originally Posted by demolition View Post
I like fixing Amigas, but if I have to look at it from an economical point of view, it makes no sense at all. I might spend 10 hours fixing something that I could just buy in good working condition with maybe 1 hours salary of my regular job. But I need to spend my free time on something, right? I see it mostly as a 'meditation'/de-stress activity.
"I like this!", "it really gets me where I live", "I wish to subscribe to your thread" =)

@cypher007

I suspect that the A500+ motherboard in the picture will require between 2 and 4 hours of work - pending damage level.

I am sorry to say that this would be more a labour of love than that of a cost effective financial repair my friend.

I would start with -
  • Get a fibreglass etching pen (eBay is cheap),
  • Remove the GARY IC
  • Swamp the board with a mild organic acid (like lemon juice) have at it with a tooth brush!
  • Leave for 30 minutes then flush with water.
  • Allow to air dry for 24 hours (upside down)
  • Remove (desolder) the GARY IC Socket
  • Use the Fibreglass pen to remove the protective layer of the PCB where the following has occured
  • Bubbled / mottled protective layer
  • Darkened traces
  • Darkened exposed copper
Go gentle and allow the fibreglass to do the work - i.e. don't blow the residue away until you are done - I would suggest a paper mask.

Once you are sure all the traces are revealed and as shiny as they can be - dust off the board and clean with IPA

Now you got this far you will need a multimeter to check continuity between the tracks and traces - I would then suggest the use of 30AWG (Kynar) wire to repair damaged traces - use a lower setting (not more than 280c) to set these wires in - place shortest lengths where needed.

From the pictures those U10 / 12 and 13 look fine - just need a good clean with some organic acid and a tooth brush - should be fine.

Check the pins of the GARY IC - more often than not these chips take a hit and you may need to replace it - one from an A500 / A2000 should do

Now once you have all that I would suggest that you buy some PCB protectorant spray (about £5 from eBay) cover empty sockets and IC's and spray this down in a light coat on the repaired and bare copper surfaces - once settled and dry - throw another coat of PCB protector spray to make sure - (mentioning this make sure you find one with UV protection) - you work will last longer =)

Last edited by Zetr0; 02 March 2017 at 11:52.
Old 02 March 2017, 12:27   #9
indigolemon
Bit Copying Bard

Found the pic of mine, before Daedalus got involved. Looks pretty similar.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	a500+.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	341.6 KB
ID:	52316  
Old 02 March 2017, 14:33   #10
cypher007

my damage extends over to the fat agnus also.

I was going to recap and sell it. but looking at the damage I don't think it worth it.

I have a a500 which was mine from new. I might use this as spares if I get any chips go.
Old 02 March 2017, 15:20   #11
Franchute13

Hi.
Yes, you can repair this A500 but you need hard work.
Look my repair.
http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=75257
You can too
Old 02 March 2017, 15:23   #12
demolition
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by cypher007 View Post
I was going to recap and sell it. but looking at the damage I don't think it worth it.
A500(+) generally doesn't need recapping, at least not yet. I've yet to see one with leaking or bulging caps. Recapping is required for A600/1200/4000/CD32 as they contain electrolytic SMD caps which typically fail after 10-15 years.
Old 02 March 2017, 15:47   #13
Daedalus

Provided the chips themselves are ok, the Fat Agnus socket can easily be replaced along with the Paula and Gary sockets. It's hard to tell from your photo but it might even be ok with a bit of a clean. If you are gonna keep it for spares, be aware that not all the chips are fully compatible depending on the revision of the board in your A500. Earlier revisions require different Agnus chips IIRC. On the other hand, if you have a late revision A500, you might be able to swap various parts over and have a 1MB ECS A500... Just double-check exactly what's required before you go pulling things apart.

Anyway, as demolition says, you don't really need to recap it unless you're having problems related to capacitor failure.
Old 03 March 2017, 18:11   #14
apex

What a question?????? AMIGA should never ever went to the bin...