English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 25 June 2020, 10:12   #421
Bruce Abbott

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nishicorn View Post
Logically thinking, the difference shouldn't be that big - and since you can customize mouse precisions, accelerations and speeds pretty nicely, it should be pretty much the same experience, but maybe just feel a bit better due to nostalgy and atmosphere.

However, this effect and its enormity surprised me - I certainly didn't expect it to even happen. Not only did it happen, but it's still mindblowing to me, just how big that contrast is between using PC (and insert whatever drawing package, or any Amiga emulation) and Amiga truly is.
PCs always had imprecise mouse movement, originally due to the poor hardware interface (low speed serial port) and lack of proper multitasking. The workaround for that was to 'accelerate' larger mouse movements, which makes accurate positioning difficult.

Unfortunately that legacy has been perpetuated on modern PCs. Even with all user acceleration controls turned off, the driver and/or mouse itself still has a nonlinear response. I have one USB mouse so sensitive that it is virtually useless for drawing. I found a setting in Linux that makes it better, but still not nearly as accurate as the ball mice on my Amigas!
Old 25 June 2020, 10:59   #422
Tigerskunk
Inviyya Dude!

All my ball mice are shit on my Amigas compared to the optical ones on my mac?

What am I doing wrong?
Old 25 June 2020, 11:53   #423
utri007
mä vaan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steril707 View Post
All my ball mice are shit on my Amigas compared to the optical ones on my mac?

What am I doing wrong?
You havent bought 24,95€ laser kit from Jesus https://www.staticboards.com/showcat.php?tag=Retro
Old 25 June 2020, 12:01   #424
utri007
mä vaan

Just wondering what is happening? Is this site turning to amiga.org where tens of people write long posts how their opinions are more right or better than others?

This is about Doom clone for a Amiga 500.
Old 25 June 2020, 12:42   #425
Tigerskunk
Inviyya Dude!

Quote:
Originally Posted by utri007 View Post
Just wondering what is happening? Is this site turning to amiga.org where tens of people write long posts how their opinions are more right or better than others?

This is about Doom clone for a Amiga 500.
Not tens of people, just one at the moment...
Old 25 June 2020, 13:33   #426
d4rk3lf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Konrad View Post
I wish some people would keep there answers a little shorter ;-). Especially doing so in multiple threads over a very short time.
Wait.
You are reading ALL of what he wrote?

I don't mind long posts, but style of this guy writing, is somewhat boring, so I just skip after few sentences.
Old 26 June 2020, 01:16   #427
Marchie

I agree that working on real hardware is far better than emulation, I think taking up that point here though is derailing a thread which is really about the rather astonishing work being done by KK/Altair.

Any updates KK? Want to get us back on track?
Old 26 June 2020, 01:39   #428
roondar

Quote:
Originally Posted by KK/Altair View Post
Reworked asset converter pipeline completely and now it gives much finer control over every single asset. Implemented a few new dithering methods - none works better than the current one, but they all have lots of tweakable parameters now, adjustable per-asset, which allowed getting rid of red pixels on the hand (it came a bit yellowish due to palette, though) without destroying anything else. I've got great custom made graphics for weapon sprites as well as some graphics and font for the menu, so getting them into the engine will be next. Things should start looking more like a game and less like a techdemo soon.
Sounds like you're moving along nicely. And here I was thinking it already kind of looked like a game. Will be interesting to see your next few milestones.

And of course, I'm stoked you managed to recolour the hand
Old 27 June 2020, 20:57   #429
Mathesar

Quote:
Reworked asset converter pipeline completely and now it gives much finer control over every single asset. Implemented a few new dithering methods - none works better than the current one, but they all have lots of tweakable parameters now, adjustable per-asset, which allowed getting rid of red pixels on the hand (it came a bit yellowish due to palette, though) without destroying anything else. I've got great custom made graphics for weapon sprites as well as some graphics and font for the menu, so getting them into the engine will be next. Things should start looking more like a game and less like a techdemo soon.
More like a game.. and it already looked like a proper game to me!
Sounds really good, especially now that you have weapon sprites. Tbh, I thought the dithering was mostly OK, except for some textures and that hand of course LOL.

Can't wait to see the new improvements
Old 01 July 2020, 16:48   #430
ESC
Bad Banana

Just wanted to pop in and say I'm really looking forward to more updates, you're making something I dreamed about back in the day.
Old 02 July 2020, 10:48   #431
Tigerskunk
Inviyya Dude!

Still, what an amazing work..
Thanks, KK...
Old 02 July 2020, 14:11   #432
fryguy

Yes, really impressive project!
Old 02 July 2020, 15:18   #433
lesta_smsc

Saw an update from May 2020 and WOW this is an amazing development.

He mentioned about using CRT monitor to make dithering allow image to look better. I am keen to test on my 28" CRT TV! Where is the download link?...
Old 03 July 2020, 19:36   #434
KK/Altair

Quote:
Originally Posted by lesta_smsc View Post
Saw an update from May 2020 and WOW this is an amazing development.

He mentioned about using CRT monitor to make dithering allow image to look better. I am keen to test on my 28" CRT TV! Where is the download link?...
Thanks!

Yes, I mentioned the CRT effect and then messed up the video export. At the time of saying this the video was supposed to be using a CRT-like filter, but that did not render.

As for the next update: entire asset converter pipeline was reworked, got lots of updated graphics and starting to get all that into the engine. On the way, the hand got much better already - turned quite yellow, but I don't really mind.
Old 03 July 2020, 19:44   #435
lesta_smsc

Haha great work! Very smooth and still amazed you'll pulled this off on a stock machine (albeit with additional RAM)!

When will we be able to get a demo!? Lol
Old 04 July 2020, 23:17   #436
wairnair

Quote:
Originally Posted by ESC View Post
Just wanted to pop in and say I'm really looking forward to more updates, you're making something I dreamed about back in the day.
same here! amazing project.
Old 28 July 2020, 11:52   #437
utri007
mä vaan

Quote:
I have to say the same about Your work. I'm a great fan of both Atari VCS and Amiga - great and really elegant platforms.

Thanks for making this world a better and much more enjoyable place.

EDIT: Sorry I completely mixed things up. Fixed now.
Any news about this? And please, I don't ask new pro quality video, just few words how it is going.
Old 28 July 2020, 12:05   #438
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

News about what? You did not exactly quote anything that needs updating on...
Old 28 July 2020, 15:30   #439
IanS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Abbott View Post
PCs always had imprecise mouse movement, originally due to the poor hardware interface (low speed serial port) and lack of proper multitasking. The workaround for that was to 'accelerate' larger mouse movements, which makes accurate positioning difficult.

Unfortunately that legacy has been perpetuated on modern PCs. Even with all user acceleration controls turned off, the driver and/or mouse itself still has a nonlinear response. I have one USB mouse so sensitive that it is virtually useless for drawing. I found a setting in Linux that makes it better, but still not nearly as accurate as the ball mice on my Amigas!
Perhaps that has more to do with your personal setup than with PCs in general. I have no problems with inaccurate mice on my computer's unless the processor and HDD are under heavy load. Maybe a better mouse driver is required? Workbench suffered from the same problem too when under heavy load.
Old 28 July 2020, 20:18   #440
robinsonb5

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanS View Post
Perhaps that has more to do with your personal setup than with PCs in general. I have no problems with inaccurate mice on my computer's unless the processor and HDD are under heavy load. Maybe a better mouse driver is required? Workbench suffered from the same problem too when under heavy load.

PS/2 and USB mice are generally fine, but the acceleration habit was adopted in the days of horrible 1200 baud RS232 serial mice. Using one of those always felt to me like trying to walk when my foot's gone to sleep.

(I did have one such RS232 serial mouse on which I replaced the internal ceramic resonator with one of double the frequency, which doubled the baud and reporting rate. That mouse was, in comparison, a joy to use.)