English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Apps

Old 26 April 2013, 10:35   #1
LuMan
Amigan - an' lovin' it!!

Insert ENV Message - OS3.9

Hi all. I've searched through previous posts for this and the two instances I've found have been sorted, but the solutions haven't been posted...

Anyhoo, after re-building my A1200T and installing OS3.9 I get an annoying system request to Insert Volume ENV: in any drive. I can click on 'cancel' a couple of times to clear this and the system starts as normal and works with no issues. But the requester pops up for a reason and I'd like to figure out why (plus it's annoying!).

Set-up is:
A1200 in a tower
Blizzard 040/25 +160MHzPPC
2+160Mb RAM

There's a 4-way EIDE interface, which uses the 4XEIDE software, CyberGraphX (AGA) and Magic Menu - but I can't see how these would affect the startup at such an early stage..

I put some ECHO statements in the Startup-Sequence to see what happens just before the message pops up, but the message comes up before anything else. Once I clear it, the ECHOs come up and tell me what's just been actioned in the S-S file.

I've downloaded Boing Bags v.1 and v.2 and will install them later, but if anyone has any additional ideas, then I'm all ears.

Many thanks
LuMan
Old 26 April 2013, 11:57   #2
thomas

Install boingbags now.
Old 26 April 2013, 13:39   #3
Bamiga2002
BlizzardPPC'less

Send a message via MSN to Bamiga2002
....then boing on to http://lilliput.amiga-projects.net/bbag3isdone.htm and install Boing Bag #3. See if the problem disappears.
Old 26 April 2013, 18:47   #4
emufan

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuMan View Post
but if anyone has any additional ideas, then I'm all ears.
to get a verbose startup, you can add in first line of startup-sequence this:
set echo on
and remove last line with Endcli >NIL: (or set comment: ;Endcli >NIL: )
after investigating put a ; infront of first line or remove it, and enable the endcli command in last line again.

about ENV: there must be some line(s) missing, declearing ENV:
in startup-sequence:
mkdir ram:env
assign env: ram:env
the ENV: is used to get profiles, configurations by programs. origin is envarc: aka prefs/env-archive
within startup-sequence, content of envarc: gets copied to env:

if you simply install the boingbag updates, the problem will disapear, otherwise thomas and Bamiga2002 would give you a more detailed answer, i guess

Last edited by emufan; 26 April 2013 at 18:52.
Old 26 April 2013, 23:41   #5
Bamiga2002
BlizzardPPC'less

Send a message via MSN to Bamiga2002
If the "insert volume ENV:" comes as the first message before S-S even has started then it won't help assigning ENV:

If the problem does not disappear after the boingbag-installations, please attach your S-S here.
Old 27 April 2013, 22:20   #6
LuMan
Amigan - an' lovin' it!!

Thanks for the advice and hints, guys. I think Bamiga picked up a point I perhaps didn't make clear at the start - the message pops up before any of the S-S starts, and I do have the relevant Assign and mkdirs in the S-S. Once I click past the errors all is good and ENV: exists as it should, is fully populated and the system works fine.

I have installed BB-1 and BB-2, including the ROM update for BB-2, and it still happens. I'll try BB-3 as well, just to be sure

I'll let you know how I get on....
Old 28 April 2013, 00:24   #7
thomas

No, please don't continue. Please rename s:startup-sequence for example into startup-sequence.disabled. Then switch off the Amiga and after a few seconds switch it on again. Does the message still appear? If not, please create a temporary startup-sequence which only consits of this one line:

echo "Hello World!"

Does the message still not appear with this startup-sequence?

If the message appears even without startup-sequence or with the dummy startup, then you can stop installing additional software. You first have to check your hardware or perhaps the partitioning of the harddrive and the file systems stored on it.

If you get rid of the message by disabling or reducing startup-sequence, then you should do what emufan suggested: put set echo on at the beginning of startup- sequence and tell us the last command which was executed before the message appears.

My hope was that the message was caused by the OS 3.9 ROM update and should have been cured by one of the boingbags. You can still rename the AmigaOS ROM Update in the Devs directory and then power cycle the computer to test if the update has something to do with the message.