English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 07 April 2011, 14:41   #1
sleggan

Ariadne media selection

Hi,

I have a Ariadne network card (the first model) and comes with a BNC connector and a TP connector. From what I undertand, you can set env variables to select 10Base2 (BNC) or 10BaseT (TP). The problem I have is that I cannot get the TP to work. I get no link signal on the switch nor on LED 1 on the board.

When I choose BNC it works great though (connects to my other Amiga with a BNC PCMCIA network card from Planet).

Does anyone else have this problem? Am I doing it right, or can it be that the TP/BNC selection is broken somehow? I have tried to search the Internet, and only found a post from 1999 with someone that had the same problem. He solved it by using BNC instead. But I wanna know what's wrong and if I can fix it

Please help me out.
Old 08 April 2011, 18:38   #2
sleggan

Today I found myself two small 8-port hubs at work that also have an BNC connector on it. So I'll be using that for now...

If anyone else feels like telling the rest of the world that they have the same problem as I do, then your welcome.. it would be nice to get a solution to why I can't activate the TP.
Old 09 April 2011, 03:29   #3
lugosi

Just a thought here, but...is your switch 10/100 autosensing? Afaik the Ariadne (just like pretty much all Amiga ethernet cards) is a 10 Mbit/s card, so if the switch only supports 100 Mbit/s (or auto-negotiation is somehow turned off), a connection won't be detected.

I had this problem long ago when I tried to get a bunch of PCs online through a 100 Mbit/s *only* HUB - the LEDs wouldn't show any connection, because all the ethernet cards were 10 Mbit/s.
Old 17 April 2011, 13:26   #4
MastaTabs

Might be that one of the HALO transceivers is broken. Happend several times in the past.
How did you try to select the 10BaseT port ?

Usually you would need a ariadne0.config file (don't quite remember the exact name right now) somewhere in ENV: .
Old 17 April 2011, 16:37   #5
sleggan

Quote:
Originally Posted by MastaTabs View Post
Might be that one of the HALO transceivers is broken. Happend several times in the past.
How did you try to select the 10BaseT port ?

Usually you would need a ariadne0.config file (don't quite remember the exact name right now) somewhere in ENV: .
I use the ariadne0.config file with the option 10BASET set. It will not work on 10BASE2 when I do that either. 10BASE2 works with that option set and with AUTO.

I also use the parameters in Miami DX MNI driver mode. It behaves the same.

So the HALO chip is responsible for the switch between the ports? I guess it would be hard to find a new one these days?
Old 17 April 2011, 23:12   #6
Damion

Try a search on US ebay for HALO MD-001. Not a bad seller (bought from them in the past) but a little expensive.