English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.OtherUAE

Old 11 June 2017, 18:01   #1
christianlucio

Amibian (UAEforarm for raspberry pi) anyone ?

I recently stumbled over the Amibian (UAEforarm for the raspberry pi). It seems to be a good choice if you want to bring a raspberry pi in an old Amiga case with kerah Interface. Anyone has tried this out ? Please feel free to share your experiences. Helpful tips and information are welcome ! Chris
Old 12 June 2017, 01:36   #2
ransom1122

I am currently working on an image that boots all games from emulation station.

[ Show youtube player ]

Forums can be found here

https://github.com/midwan/amiberry/issues

I think Amiberry is a great emulator though still missing some features like

- cycle exact
- cdtv image support

Hopefully the next version of Amiberry has more updated features.

What I have done so far

- Added all WHDLoad games [ECS/OCS/AGA/CD32/CDTV]
- Added Amiga music playing in Emulation Station (Fades in and out when selecting games)
- Cover all done up to 2,800 games so far.
- Total of 50GB of content so far.

Working on at the moment.

- Adding All ADF games from Gamebase 2.0 which do not have WHDLoad slaves
- Add complete CD32 unofficial games
- Add my collection of HDF games I have made from Retroplays WHDLoad games
- Add Covers to games added above

Last edited by ransom1122; 12 June 2017 at 04:37.
Old 12 June 2017, 13:46   #3
vulture

@ransom1122

That's a very nice project, once you complete your todos, it'll be just about perfect!
Old 12 June 2017, 13:52   #4
liveevil
Custom User Title

@ransom

I notice you mention Amibian in a lot of threads you created, are you actually talking about Amiberry ?
Amibian and Amiberry are two different things. Amibian uses UAE4Arm and doesn't have emulationstation (Amiga emulator only in an all-in-one image). Amiberry is an adapted version of UAE4Arm specifically for Raspberry Pi (mainly to remove all references to the Pandora Handheld).

In your project are you also replacing the many WHDLoad games that don't work or play far too fast (because of lack of Cycle Accurate DMA/Memory Accesses on Amiberry/UAE4Arm) with ADF versions ?

The Amiberry Github is not a forum, it's for adding features and reporting bugs. I don't think there will be any updates for a while due to Midwan's unfortunate events.
Old 12 June 2017, 16:09   #5
ransom1122

Quote:
Originally Posted by liveevil View Post
@ransom

I notice you mention Amibian in a lot of threads you created, are you actually talking about Amiberry ?
Amibian and Amiberry are two different things. Amibian uses UAE4Arm and doesn't have emulationstation (Amiga emulator only in an all-in-one image). Amiberry is an adapted version of UAE4Arm specifically for Raspberry Pi (mainly to remove all references to the Pandora Handheld).

In your project are you also replacing the many WHDLoad games that don't work or play far too fast (because of lack of Cycle Accurate DMA/Memory Accesses on Amiberry/UAE4Arm) with ADF versions ?

The Amiberry Github is not a forum, it's for adding features and reporting bugs. I don't think there will be any updates for a while due to Midwan's unfortunate events.
Correct.

What's happened with Midwan?
Old 12 June 2017, 18:50   #6
liveevil
Custom User Title

According to his Amiberry Facebook page :-

Quote:
Due to a sequence of tragic family events, I'm afraid that development on Amiberry will have to be paused for some time.
Work on it will resume as soon as I am able to do so...
Old 13 June 2017, 00:30   #7
ransom1122

Quote:
Originally Posted by liveevil View Post
According to his Amiberry Facebook page :-
oh no
Old 17 June 2017, 16:13   #8
christianlucio

Amibian :)

Many thanks for the contributions so far although the topic was originally about experiences with the Amibian Image.....
Old 14 July 2017, 10:24   #9
christianlucio

As I had a few days off I was able to check the latest Amibian release and want to share experience.
Installation very easy, just extract ready image to SD-Card. It boots directly to UAE; USB keyboards, Joysticks (here Competition pro with USB adaptor) and USB-sticks are auto-mountetd. As also the midnght commander is installed data transfer is very easy and no need for Ethernet.
Picture and sound quality is perfect and the performance on my raspberry pi 2 ist also surprisingly good, even scrolling is smooth.
But there are also 2 disadvantages:
- there is a clearly visible joytsick input lag
- .ipf are not supported (or at least I did not find out how)

The input lag destroys much of the good feeling with action games, especially when compared to the Amiga implementation on my MIST, where you have no lag at all.
I do not know if this problem would be less big if a pi 3 would be used. Perhaps I will buy and test also.
In the meantime please feel free to contribute.
Old 14 July 2017, 11:06   #10
ransom1122

- Ipf is not supported.
- There is a slight input lag even on a PIE 3.

You cant compare a mist to a pie, 1st of all the price difference between the two is astronomical. So for the price of a Pie3 it does the job quite well IMO.
Old 14 July 2017, 11:31   #11
Higgy

I wonder if plugging in a 9-pin joystick directly to the GPIO's will help to reduce lag?

I did fit a connector to my RPI3, but I then just it for my Bartop Arcade so did not test it much. I used the info from this website:

http://blog.thestateofme.com/2012/08...gpio-joystick/

I now have another RPI3 so could try again.
Old 14 July 2017, 13:45   #12
glue
Banned

Send a message via ICQ to glue Send a message via AIM to glue Send a message via Yahoo to glue
My config is Pi3 + latest Retropie + A1200 case + A1200 keyboard + Amiberry + Keyrah V2 + USB XBOX 30 Wireless Gaming Receiver and XBOX 360 PAD to gaming and all working like a charm - Still waiting for next updates for Amiberry
Old 15 July 2017, 06:59   #13
rsn8887

I wonder if ALL emulators on Pi3 have input lag? Or only Amiberry? Has anyone tested this?
Old 15 July 2017, 15:22   #14
christianlucio

I compared the joystick input lag on the raspberry pi 2 with Amibian to WINUAE on my Laptop (no gamer laptop, grafic on board) with the game "wings of death".

WINUAE showed almost no lag while the raspberry pi 2 showed a really huge lag on joystick control, altough th game itself runs smooth.
Can aynoone explain this huge difference ?
Old 08 August 2017, 20:34   #15
Sinphaltimus

I'm also going to give Amibian a run but not so much for gaming. I want to see how authentic of a feel I can get by installing WB and the apps I like to use on my real Amiga - one thing is,I do not have an audio sampler for my real Amiga and this video below really pushed me to give Amibian a try. I have a Pi3, one SD card for RetroPie and one for Amibian. I also ordered the same audio adaptor and script the guy talks about from here: http://demonicsweaters.com/2017/04/a...or-amiga-mods/

Just thought I'd share in case anyone else was interested in such endeavors. I'll follow up once I get things rolling as I just ordered the audio adaptor today.

[ Show youtube player ]
Old 16 August 2017, 00:58   #16
rsn8887

Can we run this in an existing RetroPie installation, e.g. can Amiberry run in RetroPie? @Ransom, does your set for emulation station work with RetroPie?

I just setup a RetroPie installation, and it is quite powerful. It would be nice to have everything in one package...
Old 16 August 2017, 01:04   #17
Amiga1992

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsn8887 View Post
Can we run this in an existing RetroPie installation, e.g. can Amiberry run in RetroPie?
Yes, Amiberry is available on RetroPie as an optional package.
https://github.com/joolswills/RetroP...1d22107a02d74c
Install it from RetroPie Setup.

The controls are still a pain in the ass to work out, if you don't have a mouse and a keyboard you are pretty much shit out of luck for pretty much everything.
Old 16 August 2017, 01:13   #18
ransom1122

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsn8887 View Post
Can we run this in an existing RetroPie installation, e.g. can Amiberry run in RetroPie? @Ransom, does your set for emulation station work with RetroPie?

I just setup a RetroPie installation, and it is quite powerful. It would be nice to have everything in one package...
Amiberry is installed from RetroPie.. I followed Horace&theSpiders guide.

Last edited by ransom1122; 16 August 2017 at 03:43.
Old 17 August 2017, 20:35   #19
rsn8887

I installed Amiberry on my RetroPie. I got my WHDLoad collection with Tinylauncher to load on it. However, I experience a horrible audio lag, almost a full second. All sounds are played quite a bit later. E.g. if I punch in IK+ the sound happens almost a full second later.

Just going up and down the menu in Tinylauncher, the tick sound plays so much later after I move up or down.

I tried playing around with the audio settings, but nothing could reduce the audio lag.

My gamepad is not working at all. I need a mouse and keyboard to navigate the menu and play games.

I wonder if Amiberry is abandoned. There have been no new commits in a long while.
Old 27 August 2017, 22:24   #20
Amibian

hey. I havnt followed this board, google just led me here.
Amiberry emulator is also included in Amibian 1.4. Sadly for now its inly the sdl1 version, sdl2 version will be added as soon as its in a stage thats "safe", now the sdl2 version that amiberry uses is not very pi friendly, all inputs in the emulated side transfers to the linux cli. The joystick lag (if its noticable) is probably due to the adapter you use, some adapters arent as compatable to the pi as it is to a pc. other factors that might influence hid is the powersource. I have not tested any joystick/adaptor combinations on Amiberry emulator.
Amiberry is not a abandoned. Dimitris is a friend of mine and he will pickup the thread when he can.
Have fun
Gunnar.