English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Coders > Coders. System

Old 18 September 2020, 05:02   #3541
hammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by indigolemon View Post
To be honest, I think your attitude is a bit off here. Peter makes the icon library and releases it for free, why should someone else make money from his efforts?

If you don't like this, use an older version or another icon library - but it's up to Peter what he does with his creation, just as it's up to end users if they want to pay money for otherwise free software.
Could have used something similar to GNU Affero General Public License (Ghostscript) which supports
1. open-source with non-commercial
2. licensing with commercial
Old 06 October 2020, 01:00   #3542

Where is the remlib lha cant seem to find it anywhere
Old 06 October 2020, 10:23   #3543
AMIGASYSTEM

http://aminet.net/package/util/libs/IconLib_46.4

IconLib_46.4\ThirdParty\RemLib
Old 06 October 2020, 10:31   #3544
PeterK

Thanks Carlo, you're my best agent for icon.library issues
Old 11 October 2020, 21:45   #3545
PeterK

Update to icon.library 46.4.540:

The TrueColor versions are now able to save the preview images of Eastern icons in the OS4 format if zlib.library v3.2 from Aminet is installed. Then it's also possible to convert PNG into OS4 icons with an optional command which makes the files about 15 % larger but loading 30 % faster.

Another option is "FakeIconSizeForAfA" that can be used as a fix to let AfA_OS display OS4 icons that were written by my icon.library. This should not be used if you don't need these icons for AfA, because the small planar images of OS4 icons will waste too much space on WB 3.1 which looks ugly. Both commands are On/Off switches. This option can replace "KeepPlanarImages" and should also work with "KillPlanarImages" to get smaller OS4 files for AfA_OS, too.

There is also a new feature for OS 3.2 already implemented, but not fully tested yet, because I don't have that.
Attached Files
File Type: txt Important_Restrictions.txt (517 Bytes, 152 views)
Old 12 October 2020, 01:41   #3546
gulliver
BoingBagged

Hi PeterK,

If you need to test anything on AmigaOS 3.2 let me know, and we can surely find a way to resolve that.
Old 12 October 2020, 05:28   #3547
ma693541
Computer Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by mulder77 View Post
And that wouldn't be none of your business. Those are totally unnecassary fights.
Simply put in your terms that it may not be bundled nor automatically installed by and with Amikit and you're fine. Or setup some donation account and I'm sure he "or I" is willing to support the freeware authors this way.

But instead you even want to educate the users. Poor choice. Focus on your work and not so much on others.
Don't be so rude against PeterK or others in this thread. Donate to those that can be donated to or show us what ideas you can come up with.

(As you see I have put in some extra text in the quote.)
Old 12 October 2020, 12:16   #3548
PeterK

Quote:
Originally Posted by gulliver View Post
Hi PeterK,

If you need to test anything on AmigaOS 3.2 let me know, and we can surely find a way to resolve that.
Thanks gulliver, I'm already in contact with some of the devs, who seem to be busy now. I've tested the new feature as far as I can and it should work, but I can wait until OS 3.2 is done and somebody has written a new SDK. Although I think it will come with a lot of improvements, even so I have no intentions nor the money to buy it. Since I'm not a user of the AmigaOS anymore I don't need any updates, not even those of my library.

@ma693541
No, I don't want any donations, but in case that the price for AmiKit X/XE would be cut down to 10 €, which is very unlikely, I could remove the restrictions again.
Old 12 October 2020, 18:04   #3549
AMIGASYSTEM

Peter I reshaped some of my icons and created others for AROS 68k and AROS x86, so that they are all the same size, see attached link.

Wanderer can't handle size difference icons, if you use a big icon, on small icons the text will move away, there is some remedy.

http://eab.abime.net/attachment.php?...4&d=1602517278
Old 12 October 2020, 18:27   #3550
gulliver
BoingBagged

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterK View Post
Thanks gulliver, I'm already in contact with some of the devs, who seem to be busy now. I've tested the new feature as far as I can and it should work, but I can wait until OS 3.2 is done and somebody has written a new SDK. Although I think it will come with a lot of improvements, even so I have no intentions nor the money to buy it. Since I'm not a user of the AmigaOS anymore I don't need any updates, not even those of my library.
We are writing a new NDK, but in any case, I can certainly help you get acces to the current NDK material we have.

Just let me know.
Old 12 October 2020, 19:24   #3551
PeterK

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMIGASYSTEM View Post
Wanderer can't handle size difference icons, if you use a big icon, on small icons the text will move away, there is some remedy.
Excellent, looks perfect!

Yes, I know that Wanderer can't arrange icons with different sizes as clever as Workbench can. The most important Wanderer setting for drawers is to use "list icons plainly" and not using a grid for positioning. Then I also reduced all the default space or distances to zero or just 1. That's not perfect, but works much better for me. You can make a backup of your Envarc:Sys/Wanderer/Global.prefs and try my config.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	WandererDrawerIcons.png
Views:	157
Size:	17.8 KB
ID:	69248   Click image for larger version

Name:	WandererLabels.png
Views:	166
Size:	9.2 KB
ID:	69249  
Attached Files
File Type: zip WandererPrefs_global.zip (353 Bytes, 125 views)
Old 12 October 2020, 19:57   #3552
PeterK

Quote:
Originally Posted by gulliver View Post
We are writing a new NDK, but in any case, I can certainly help you get acces to the current NDK material we have.

Just let me know.
THX, I think the devs already explained the most important changes for icon.library to me and I'm not in a hurry if some more features should follow. No need to set them under pressure. It's still some time till Xmas.
Old 12 October 2020, 20:43   #3553
Weaselrama
Registered Voter

Someone explain to me why the Mods were adamant that no one was allowed to criticize the author of MUIMapparium because of his stance on Apollo and because he had made a "moral" decision to cause his app not to run on a system with "V" hardware, but contributors are apparently allowed to criticize PeterK for *his* moral and ethical stand? PeterK does not have to justify himself to EAB contributors, whether you agree with his decision regarding AmiKit or not.

Many thanks to PeterK for his continued support of icon.library and his AfA fixes which should come in handy.

Last edited by Weaselrama; 12 October 2020 at 21:07.
Old 12 October 2020, 21:21   #3554
PeterK

I don't know what has happened with MUIMapparium and its author, but I can live with criticism. And if there is a shit storm because some people don't like my decision to boycott AmiKit X/XE I won't care much about their opinion. No, I have no demand to be protected by the mods. I think it's better not to react on every attack if you want to stop a dispute.
Old 12 October 2020, 21:24   #3555
AMIGASYSTEM

Quote:
. You can make a backup of your Envarc:Sys/Wanderer/Global.prefs and try my config.
Ok thanks Peter, reported your values that improve the appearance.
Font "Outline" I don't use it because on RTG Screens and much more fine and beautiful "Drop Shadow", also the fonts I use have a better look on an RTG screen.
The Grey color of the windows after 30 years gets a bit tired and I preferred to leave the celestine color that suits the theme

Last edited by AMIGASYSTEM; 14 February 2021 at 02:01.
Old 12 October 2020, 21:40   #3556
Weaselrama
Registered Voter

Quote:
I don't know what has happened with MUIMapparium and its author, but I can live with criticism. And if there is a shit storm because some people don't like my decision to boycott AmiKit X/XE I won't care much about their opinion. No, I have no demand to be protected by the mods. I think it's better not to react on every attack if you want to stop a dispute.
I actually agree with you. Otherwise - you don't deserve the criticism or the harping on how you could have written a license agreement It's your decision and your support of the Amiga community has been outstanding.
Old 17 October 2020, 17:53   #3557
PeterK

540 removed: There was a bug report about crashes under Aros 68k with DOpus 5.82 on Vampire. I couldn't get any information yet on how to reproduce it, and it still works for me without problems.

This person who sent me the email and who sold his own Vampire v4 to Jan at the last Amiga fair just asked me pretty neat about the changes that I recently made in 540. Probably some assembler experts need some hints to crack my library for AmiKit. Since I have no intentions to play "Tom and Jerry" with this silly cat I think it's better to get to an end with my icon.library coding now. There is not much left to do anyway. So, be careful, you may soon find some fake versions of 540 in the web. If my library finally has some new authors they should take over the development, so that I can relax and watch the progress. Good luck!
Old 20 October 2020, 12:30   #3558
janz

Dear Peter,

I offered to pay for a license, you refused. I respect that. I removed your library from AmiKit/WinUAE. An older version (533) stayed only in AmiKit/Vampire edition only - but I have NO intention to update it (so I comply with your "announcement") nor crack it. Simply I am not interested in using crippled or cracked software in AmiKit or anywhere else. That's it. Story ends. The rest seems like a paranoia to me.

Anyway, thank you for your previous support and beta-testing of AmiKit. Good luck!
--Jan
Old 20 October 2020, 13:08   #3559
PeterK

Quote:
Originally Posted by janz View Post
I offered to pay for a license, you refused.
No, I want to keep freeware free of charges. I make no deals in profit taking and I don't like the fleece of black sheep.

Quote:
I respect that. I removed your library from AmiKit/WinUAE. An older version (533) stayed only in AmiKit/Vampire edition only - but I have NO intention to update it ...
Really? Be honest, you need it for AmiKit XE on Vampire. AfA_OS will probably not work, Scalos is buggy, PowerIcons is limited to one image, all of them have had no updates for long, and Aros has no usable support for PNG or OS 3.2 yet.
Quote:
Removed IconLib by P.Keunecke. Available as an additional download in MorpheuZ/Dracula now.
Quote:
... (so I comply with your "announcement") nor crack it. Simply I am not interested in using crippled or cracked software in AmiKit or anywhere else. That's it. Story ends. The rest seems like a paranoia to me.

Anyway, thank you for your previous support and beta-testing of AmiKit. Good luck!
--Jan
The fact that some systems crashed recently just showed me that my library was hacked already, although I'm sure that the original code was not involved or responsible for the crashes. The crackers just made a mistake.

So, you have a new account at EAB after being banned here many years ago?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	AmiKitUpdate1140.png
Views:	219
Size:	131.3 KB
ID:	69404  
Old 20 October 2020, 14:17   #3560
janz

I am not interested in fighting either. Good bye Peter.