English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > News

Old 08 June 2021, 19:01   #601
stylon

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiz12 View Post
Wow, that's really annoying. I hope they will send you the Kickstart roms for free. I'm glad I got mine from Sordan, got the CD and two sets of A1200 roms plus one A600 rom really fast.
That's now the second time I've wished I'd ordered from Sordan. I'll get there in the end...

Also nearly lost my serial number too. In my haste to open the case I ripped off the celophane and chucked it in the bin. Didn't realise it was stuck on a little label on the outside. That's all on me though!
Old 09 June 2021, 09:17   #602
systmcrsh

Quote:
Originally Posted by stylon View Post
That's now the second time I've wished I'd ordered from Sordan. I'll get there in the end...

Also nearly lost my serial number too. In my haste to open the case I ripped off the celophane and chucked it in the bin. Didn't realise it was stuck on a little label on the outside. That's all on me though!
btw, amigastore.eu came through <- sound retailers...

i'm just guessing and i might be way off the mark here... but i suspect the idea of an initial physical retail release wasn't hyperion's idea. i suspect it was the dev's idea, or some part of some agreement or something... you know, supporting the retailers, etc...

like i said, i might be wrong... but i think it's a good philosophy.

ideally once you purchase it though, an option to download it immediately would be great... but it's all good, we'll all get there in the end

3.2 is great, long live amiga!
Old 09 June 2021, 10:06   #603
Predseda
Puttymoon inhabitant

Send a message via ICQ to Predseda
Suckers already spread ISO over torrents in facebook Amiga group
Old 09 June 2021, 10:26   #604
Lisko

3.2 is gorgeous, they could have it called 3.20 safely. I upgraded my 3.9 installation flawlessly and also slightly reduced chip ram usage. I'm so happy with it, so many QOL improvements. I noticed some lag with textedit in background and switching from it back and forth to the foreground tho (A1200/030@50). Thanks to all devs and it's a shame that you don't get paid for this. I know that all of you were aware of it but I don't see right making a commercial product and not paying at all who did the real job. Even more if sold at a price that is way more than just the needed costs and for a software that if there wasn't a market probably now would be open source (as Cloanto stated). Sorry for the outburst but it's so wrong...
Old 09 June 2021, 10:55   #605
systmcrsh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisko View Post
[ Show youtube player ]

edit: for some reason the embedded player doesn’t want to do it, just skip to ~28:50

Last edited by systmcrsh; 09 June 2021 at 11:07.
Old 09 June 2021, 12:06   #606
bubbob42

Quote:
Sorry for the outburst but it's so wrong...
We love that you're having fun with the OS. That you're posting your impressions means a lot to us, probably more than a bit of money could.

To repeat it:Anyone's free to buy Roadshow, which would support us directly. Anyone could also make donations to those of the devs who'd like to receive appreciation for the programs they create apart from the OS and which can be found on Aminet.

If we'd set up a pizza donation fund for the devs as a whole, some people would take it as an excuse not to buy the OS. We don't want this right now. If anyone does not want to give money to Hyperion, that's fine - don't buy, but also don't use. Stealing is not ok.
Old 09 June 2021, 14:04   #607
malko
Ex nihilo nihil

Quote:
[...] (as Cloanto stated) [...]
A lot of people or companies have stated a lot of things (positives or negatives)... but that never meant that it turner out into reality .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacques Chirac (former FR president)
Promises are only binding on those who believe them.
Old 09 June 2021, 17:35   #608
RetroRewind

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmigaPassion View Post
We are a UK reseller and we are not allowed to offer any ISO as part of the sale. We are only allowed to sell AmigaOS 3.2 on CD-Rom or other physical media.

Many thanks!

Steve@RetroPassion
We are also a reseller based in Canada and it was made perfectly clear that we are not allowed to sell an ISO download of 3.2. Physical media only.
Old 09 June 2021, 18:20   #609
Akiko

Quote:
Originally Posted by stylon View Post
So I finally got my AmigaOS 3.2 delivery from Amigastore.eu today... but all I got was the CD - they didn't send me the physical Kickstart ROMS I'd ordered.

Hope it doesn't take another month to get them sorted.

I hope they offer you a quick solution, personally I'm getting peeved off with amigastore.eu, I ordered the CD and two Kickstart ROMS quite early on the 15th of May, but so far they have sent nothing and ignored both the email and support ticket I opened in the last 7 days. It's sad because I would like to buy a Mediator and some other stuff from their webstore, but if they can't answer a simple question about a £60 order then what hope is there that if the Mediator was faulty that they would be anyway helpful in rectifying the problem. I think going forward I'm getting most of my stuff from Sordan on eBay, at least with eBay they have seller levels and performance standards to adhere too.
Old 09 June 2021, 20:40   #610
arcanist

Thank you AmigaOS devs and RetroRewind! Opening this feels like Christmas.

... 2002 or something.

Looking forward to the first ReAction programming I've done in 20 odd years.
Old 10 June 2021, 00:15   #611
stylon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akiko View Post
I hope they offer you a quick solution, personally I'm getting peeved off with amigastore.eu, I ordered the CD and two Kickstart ROMS quite early on the 15th of May, but so far they have sent nothing and ignored both the email and support ticket I opened in the last 7 days. It's sad because I would like to buy a Mediator and some other stuff from their webstore, but if they can't answer a simple question about a £60 order then what hope is there that if the Mediator was faulty that they would be anyway helpful in rectifying the problem. I think going forward I'm getting most of my stuff from Sordan on eBay, at least with eBay they have seller levels and performance standards to adhere too.
I'm hoping it's just because they got swamped with orders and they're simply not set up to handle that sort of volume. It's only small company after all. I've ordered quite a few things off them over the last few years and never had a problem.

However I contacted them yesterday afternoon over this issue and haven't had a reply yet - I'm hoping I get one tomorrow.

I can certainly see how, if this was someones first order, they would be put off ordering anything else though
Old 10 June 2021, 12:06   #612

4.16 * When I boot my Amiga, it stops at a black screen.
What is going on?

If you booted your Amiga with no drives at all or none gets detected, a
black screen will be shown signaling that your system is inoperable.

Just by adding any compatible disk drive (even a floppy one) and
rebooting, the Amiga will resume the boot process as usual.

So if you are performing some motherboard diagnostics without any drive
you may prefer to keep the Help keyboard key depressed or hold both
mouse buttons to access the Early Startup Control Menu (bootmenu).

Would this stop a hdd booting with 3.1?
Old 10 June 2021, 12:34   #613
BigD

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbob42 View Post
We love that you're having fun with the OS. That you're posting your impressions means a lot to us, probably more than a bit of money could...

...If we'd set up a pizza donation fund for the devs as a whole, some people would take it as an excuse not to buy the OS. We don't want this right now. If anyone does not want to give money to Hyperion, that's fine - don't buy, but also don't use. Stealing is not ok.

Stealing is not ok and nor is sitting on the fence and trying to maintain a neutral position expecting it not to have implications on the court case, Hyperion's ability to stall the proceedings while building up a war chest and overall the obvious fact that this 'money for nothing' for Hyperion could affect who is the overall IP owner/license holder for AmigaOS and the future direction or viability of the whole project and that of AmigaOS 4.x too! Take some responsibility please! Thanks for your efforts but you and the others involved are NOT apolitical entities and that waters down your ability to preach morality IMHO. Just saying and yes I'm anti-piracy to clarify.
Old 10 June 2021, 12:45   #614
BigD

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbob42 View Post
We love that you're having fun with the OS. That you're posting your impressions means a lot to us, probably more than a bit of money could. ...

And that's the worst bit. YOU might not require paying but someone far more gifted than you might want to contribute to the ongoing development but rightly would want fair recompense for the work and yet YOU AND EL. have set the precedent that AmigaOS developers don't get paid and yet IP/license holders DO because they need money to pay the legal expenses!!

It reminds me of a church minister I once heard about who didn't expect the congregation to tythe to support him (he was probably a rich BP executive or such in a previous working life). However, that precedent nearly bankrupted the next minister who rightly expected a salary for a full time job (plus tything is Biblical) but no culture of 'giving' was present and not enough money was forthcoming for years! You might THINK the first minister was being selfless but he was actually storing up problems for the next guy by not preaching basic truths.

The basic truth here is people SHOULD be paid for work undertaken. 'Nuff said.
Old 10 June 2021, 13:26   #615
fryguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by systmcrsh View Post
btw, amigastore.eu came through <- sound retailers...

i'm just guessing and i might be way off the mark here... but i suspect the idea of an initial physical retail release wasn't hyperion's idea. i suspect it was the dev's idea, or some part of some agreement or something... you know, supporting the retailers, etc...

like i said, i might be wrong... but i think it's a good philosophy.

ideally once you purchase it though, an option to download it immediately would be great... but it's all good, we'll all get there in the end

3.2 is great, long live amiga!
I'm still waiting for my order from amigastore.eu seems they didn't ship it yet, at least I got the ISO from them, but would have been nice with real ROMs as well.
Old 10 June 2021, 13:37   #616
Daedalus

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigD View Post
YOU might not require paying but someone far more gifted than you might want to contribute to the ongoing development but rightly would want fair recompense for the work
Well, with fewer developers being paid, there would be more funding available for your hypothetical gifted mercenary. Bear in mind of course, that money has already been paid out for other people's development work: part of the purchase price of OS3.2 goes towards the cost of purchasing ReAction, for example.

But it does beg the question: What is "fair recompense"? The profits from 3.2 are very unlikely to to even come close to covering the salary of several full-time developers, so any developer looking to get paid a contract developer's rate will be sorely disappointed.

Quote:
Dictating how others choose to spend their free time, and judging them because they don't spend it how you think they should. How very Christian of you.
Old 10 June 2021, 13:59   #617
BigD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daedalus View Post
...Dictating how others choose to spend their free time, and judging them because they don't spend it how you think they should. How very Christian of you.

Did you read my illustration? These 'good samaritans' that "love playing with the OS" are setting an unhelpful precedent where the lawyers get paid and the coders don't. A-EON are on the record as stating that they pay their developers and in the case of the Enhancer graphics drivers they are prepared to pay close to an industry rate! It is therefore not impossible but this 'model' that Hyperion is 'allowing' is not helpful in the long run IMHO.

That is unless you think that it should all be open sourced in which case this strategy from the coders makes perfect sense ! They can continue to hone their skills while sitting on the fence waiting for the Amiga equivalent of the Manhattan Project (that they were involved with i.e. AmigaOS 3.1.4/3.2) to be used. It will be used to justify Hyperion's continued licensee position and to pay the bills prolonging things because there is ZERO pressure to settle while the money comes in for Ben i.e. 'money for nothing'. The coders get access to the code whatever happens hence the "we don't give a monkey's about politics, just show us appreciation" approach!

It is not a Christian position to look out for the lawyers and the coder's hobby above anything else! We are to be peacemakers and look and pray for reconcilliation in situations like this. i.e. Do the next right thing! Supporting the prolonging of the court case is NOT the next right thing!

Settle Amiga parties while there is still time and a (small) market to salvage! Please!
Old 10 June 2021, 14:10   #618
Daedalus

Quote:
Did you read my illustration?
Yes.

Quote:
IMHO
And this is the important part of all that.

Quote:
It is not a Christian position to look out for the lawyers and the coder's hobby above anything else! We are to be peacemakers and look and pray for reconcilliation in situations like this. i.e. Do the next right thing! Supporting the prolonging of the court case is NOT the next right thing!
Why is everything so black and white for you? In limiting yourself to this binary view of everything, you're missing out on so much of the detail and subtlety that exists in every aspect of life. Why can't it be possible to be happy that the coders' hobby benefits the community and makes them and many others happy while not caring about the court case, or considering it as a separate matter, an unfortunate consequence it seems of doing anything to benefit the community?
Old 10 June 2021, 14:59   #619
Phantasm
Not a Rebel anymore

Quote:
So I should stop working on the software I make for the Amiga as a hobby because it does not pay me?
Old 10 June 2021, 15:29   #620
wizard1

Go Sordan!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiz12 View Post
Wow, that's really annoying. I hope they will send you the Kickstart roms for free. I'm glad I got mine from Sordan, got the CD and two sets of A1200 roms plus one A600 rom really fast.
Me Too , Sordan was very quick off the mark! I got the CD and 4 roms for my 4 miggie 500`s.