English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.WinUAE

Old 22 December 2011, 15:57   #1
Leandro Jardim

Problem with MagicMenu and CopperDemon

Hi, I did notice in 2.3.3 and newer versions that Magic Menu 2.3 and Copper Demon, running on Workbench 3.1 in AGA modes does not work properly. MagicMenu doesnt show the new menu bar and the Copper Demon hotkey doesnt work. Both need that I open and close the WinUAE panel to start to work correctly. Sometimes both programs works also if I hold and release a key of the keyboard (I dont remember which key: maybe its is the shift or ctrl or alt...).

PS. Thanks Toni! On the newer WinUAE, the PAL effect looks even better! I love how its output is clear now!

Last edited by Leandro Jardim; 27 December 2011 at 23:05. Reason: Added a bit more information.
Old 23 December 2011, 08:26   #2
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

I think you need to be more specific..

Someone have reported some problems with keyboard in recent versions but "not working" does not really help..
Old 27 December 2011, 22:02   #3
Leandro Jardim

Here are the logs, finally!

The problem with the key happens when I change to another Windows program, and go back to WinUAE. At least I think...

Last edited by Leandro Jardim; 27 March 2019 at 13:41.
Old 30 December 2011, 19:48   #4
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Do you mean keyboard stops working if you ALT-TAB and then ALT-TAB back to WinUAE? And entering and exiting GUI fixes?

Try to minimize all variables by booting from WB disk (using some quickstart config), open CLI and check when/if keyboard stops working.

Logs don't show anything interesting.
Old 30 December 2011, 20:57   #5
Leandro Jardim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toni Wilen View Post
Do you mean keyboard stops working if you ALT-TAB and then ALT-TAB back to WinUAE? And entering and exiting GUI fixes?

Try to minimize all variables by booting from WB disk (using some quickstart config), open CLI and check when/if keyboard stops working.

Logs don't show anything interesting.
The problem is that when I change from the emulation to the Windows desktop the programs behave that way. Then I need to enter and exit the GUI to fix it.

One release back, this problem could also be fixed by pressing the Right CTRL key.

I think that WinUAE can be generating fake key presses for AmigaOS. The right CTRL key generates on MagicMenu the same problem, and my copy of CopperDemon dont use Right CTRL as a modifier so it cant activate it.

Last edited by Leandro Jardim; 31 December 2011 at 22:50.
Old 31 December 2011, 13:05   #6
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Does right control have different behavior than left control? They are the same key inside emulation (Amiga keyboard does not have right control)

There is some old right control hack in WinUAE which was only needed in very old UAE versions to correctly handle keyboard layout B. Perhaps it can cause stuck control key in some situations.
Old 31 December 2011, 21:45   #7
Leandro Jardim

Quote:
Does right control have different behavior than left control? They are the same key inside emulation (Amiga keyboard does not have right control)
I always used the right CTRL key, but it does not fix it anymore. There is an entry in the input panel for the right CTRL key in AmigaOS, maybe this be the problem.

Last edited by Leandro Jardim; 01 January 2012 at 13:32.
Old 01 January 2012, 13:33   #8
Leandro Jardim

This issue happens also booting from a A1200 Quickstart with a clean Workbench/Extras disk when I try to activate Exchange from the hotkey. The host configuration I attached is the one I use, it was based on the Beta 9 A1200 QuickStart, and suffers from all problems mostly of the time.

I noticed that sometimes when I click on the WinUAE Window, WinUAE doesnt grab the mouse automatically and is when the problem begins. I need to click on the window two times.

Last edited by Leandro Jardim; 27 March 2019 at 13:41.
Old 01 January 2012, 13:55   #9
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Thanks. To reduce unknown variables even more, could you try with 100% default configuration (delete/remove default.uae), run winuae using quickstart settings.

Does it still happen?

EDIT: You still didn't say what happens to other keys, do they still work or do they behave like CTRL is always stuck?
Old 01 January 2012, 14:23   #10
Leandro Jardim

Quote:
Thanks. To reduce unknown variables even more, could you try with 100% default configuration (delete/remove default.uae), run winuae using quickstart settings.

Does it still happen?
No, it doesnt happen. WinUAE always grab the mouse when I
click on the window and I dont need to double-click on it anymore.

Quote:
EDIT: You still didn't say what happens to other keys, do they still work or do they behave like CTRL is always stuck?
They work normally.

Last edited by Leandro Jardim; 01 January 2012 at 16:00.
Old 01 January 2012, 14:41   #11
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leandro Jardim View Post
No, it doesnt happen. WinUAE always grab the mouse when I move the mouse over the window and I dont need to click on it anymore. (I not said but is because of this that I attached the host config.)
Ok, try to find the exact setting that causes the problem. (Compare host configurations and change settings one by one until something happens)

Quote:
They work normally.
Strange.
Old 01 January 2012, 15:15   #12
Leandro Jardim

EDIT: I selected "Microsoft PS/2 Mouse" to Port 1 and the Right CTRL key ceases to work. I also tested other configurations but I think this is the reason of the problem.

To grab the mouse and trigger the problem, I need to click two times in the inverse side (up or down) from where the mouse was when I deactivated WinUAE. Maybe you can trigger the symptom on your computer...

Last edited by Leandro Jardim; 01 January 2012 at 16:28.
Old 01 January 2012, 15:40   #13
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Hmm.. right control is used as a fire button if keyboard layout B is set. Perhaps there is some conflict somewhere.

Any effect if you select different joystick setting?
Old 01 January 2012, 15:52   #14
Leandro Jardim

Quote:
Hmm.. right control is used as a fire button if keyboard layout B is set. Perhaps there is some conflict somewhere.

Any effect if you select different joystick setting?
Dont worry Toni, the problem is with the "Microsoft PS/2 Mouse" entry I use everyday, I select it and in one instant it happens! I think I should have selected it together with the "Keyboard Layout B".

To be sure I tested it with the "Keyboard Layout B" selected and deselected and nothing happens.

EDIT: Oh, and it happens only with the PS/2 mouse.

If I remember well, some releases back, WinUAE started to have some of the input problems I mentioned, but I am unsure if they began with the PS/2 mouse or the Magic Mouse (I think both have been implemented together, no?).

Last edited by Leandro Jardim; 01 January 2012 at 16:43.
Old 01 January 2012, 18:18   #15
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Quote:
EDIT: Oh, and it happens only with the PS/2 mouse.
Compared to what other mouse? It isn't valid comparison without testing with some USB mouse. ("Windows mouse" is something totally different)
Old 01 January 2012, 18:48   #16
Leandro Jardim

Quote:
Compared to what other mouse? It isn't valid comparison without testing with some USB mouse. ("Windows mouse" is something totally different)
I meant about the mouse entries WinUAE can have at the game ports panel (in my case the "Microsoft PS/2 Mouse" entry exposed by DirectInput), not the real peripherals. You did ask me about the different joystick settings, and I tought would be better to reply with the information about the mouse, too. The "Windows mouse" entry doesnt have this problem.

Sorry, a have a bit of difficult to express me in english. I have the habit to write "extremely convoluted" things when I write in english (you can see by yourself).

Last edited by Leandro Jardim; 01 January 2012 at 18:58.
Old 01 January 2012, 19:06   #17
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Quote:
I meant about the mouse entries WinUAE can have at the game ports panel (in my case the "Microsoft PS/2 Mouse" entry exposed by DirectInput), not the real peripherals. You did ask me about the different joystick settings, and I tought would be better to reply with the information about the mouse, too. The "Windows mouse" entry doesnt have this problem.
I understood but you really need to test using USB mouse to confirm if it is generic rawinput problem or PS/2 specific.
Old 01 January 2012, 19:17   #18
Leandro Jardim

My father has a portable USB mouse that him doesnt uses, I will plug it on my PC and see if it works.

EDIT:
Unfortunately, I will only be able to test the USB mouse in my machine tomorrow, because my father is keeping it in his job, temporarily. Sorry...

Last edited by Leandro Jardim; 01 January 2012 at 19:28.
Old 02 January 2012, 19:23   #19
Leandro Jardim

Quote:
I understood but you really need to test using USB mouse to confirm if it is generic rawinput problem or PS/2 specific.
I think I have bad news. It happens as well.
Old 04 January 2012, 18:52   #20
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Does http://www.winuae.net/files/b/winuae.zip have same problem? (It most likely does, just testing..)