English Amiga Board


Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

 
 
Thread Tools
Old 17 May 2006, 16:09   #1
blade002
Zone Friend
blade002's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Australia
Age: 47
Posts: 2,558
Blocky ?

Im about to get a screendoubler for my A1200, but someone on another forum mentioned that if your using one, it can make your Games looks blocking and unlike they orginally were. Is this true?.

He says they are great for apps, but he uses his TV with a SCART for his Amiga games, since he says the doubler makes them crap.
blade002 is offline  
Old 17 May 2006, 16:54   #2
keropi
.
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Ioannina/Greece
Posts: 5,040
yeah right....

with a scandoubler the image is sharper and looks like it was meant to.
with a tv/tv-monitor , the quality is inferior and it blurs. It is the blur that made you friend say what he did. it is like applying a filter... some like it....
for me the BEST expansion u can get after an accelerator is the scandoubler/flickerfixer. then a gfx card...
keropi is offline  
Old 17 May 2006, 16:55   #3
musashi5150
move.w #$4489,$dff07e
musashi5150's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Norfolk, UK
Age: 40
Posts: 2,327
Quote:
Originally Posted by keropi
the BEST expansion u can get after an accelerator is the scandoubler/flickerfixer.
I second that, assuming you already have an HD Although network adapter is nice too....
musashi5150 is offline  
Old 17 May 2006, 18:31   #4
z00mba
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Fr
Age: 45
Posts: 185
And a CD-ROM drive maybe ;p
z00mba is offline  
Old 17 May 2006, 18:49   #5
patrik
Registered User
patrik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Umeå
Age: 41
Posts: 599
With a scandoubler when using non-interlace screenmodes, the scanlines between each row of pixels on a CRT-monitors will be much smaller (because of the higher horizontal refresh in combination with that each line drawn twice with the scandoubler).

If you compare two 14 inch-monitors - one connected with scandoubler, one connected to the regular 15kHz output, the former will have absolutely no scanlines, while the latter will have visible scanlines and less blocky looking graphics, as the pixels really are smaller because of the scanlines.

If the 15kHz output is blurry when using an RGB-lead, a bad monitor/tv is used.

Btw, don't forget that most scandoublers for AGA-machines can't handle 8-bits per colour-channel, giving the games more or less OCS/ECS look. The only scandoublers/flickerfixers which can handle 8-bits per colour-channel are the DBlScan 4000, the Compserv/Arxon ScanDoubler (II) and the flickerfixer on the Picasso4 graphics card.

Last edited by patrik; 17 May 2006 at 23:03.
patrik is offline  
Old 18 May 2006, 07:42   #6
blade002
Zone Friend
blade002's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Australia
Age: 47
Posts: 2,558
Quote:
Originally Posted by keropi
yeah right....

with a scandoubler the image is sharper and looks like it was meant to.
with a tv/tv-monitor , the quality is inferior and it blurs. It is the blur that made you friend say what he did. it is like applying a filter... some like it....
for me the BEST expansion u can get after an accelerator is the scandoubler/flickerfixer. then a gfx card...
Yeah im fully aware that the TV blurs the Image, since i used a TV for first few years on the Amiga, but then i later got a Phillips Monitor which of course made it more pixelated because it was much clearer. But the impression i got from the guy who made the post, was that its far more inferior looking for Games when you use a screendoubler with your monitor.

But thanks anyway
blade002 is offline  
Old 18 May 2006, 07:42   #7
blade002
Zone Friend
blade002's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Australia
Age: 47
Posts: 2,558
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrik
With a scandoubler when using non-interlace screenmodes, the scanlines between each row of pixels on a CRT-monitors will be much smaller (because of the higher horizontal refresh in combination with that each line drawn twice with the scandoubler).

If you compare two 14 inch-monitors - one connected with scandoubler, one connected to the regular 15kHz output, the former will have absolutely no scanlines, while the latter will have visible scanlines and less blocky looking graphics, as the pixels really are smaller because of the scanlines.

If the 15kHz output is blurry when using an RGB-lead, a bad monitor/tv is used.

Btw, don't forget that most scandoublers for AGA-machines can't handle 8-bits per colour-channel, giving the games more or less OCS/ECS look. The only scandoublers/flickerfixers which can handle 8-bits per colour-channel are the DBlScan 4000, the Compserv/Arxon ScanDoubler (II) and the flickerfixer on the Picasso4 graphics card.
Thats what i was trying to find out!!!.. Cheers!!... i do appreciate you taking the time to explain it.
blade002 is offline  
Old 18 May 2006, 08:00   #8
Jope
-
Jope's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Helsinki / Finland
Age: 40
Posts: 8,602
Perhaps your friend was talking about the flickerfixer combing effect that sideways moving objects experience, if they are updated every frame?
Jope is offline  
Old 18 May 2006, 15:48   #9
patrik
Registered User
patrik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Umeå
Age: 41
Posts: 599
@Jope:

The combing effect only appears with interlaced screenmodes - as only every second line is updated per screen-redraw then.

But as most games doesn't use interlaced screenmodes in combination with much animation, they are minimally affected by that.

Last edited by patrik; 18 May 2006 at 17:39.
patrik is offline  
 


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Workbench backdrop is blocky and jagged Leandro Jardim support.Apps 2 24 May 2013 16:17

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 12:17.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Page generated in 0.08155 seconds with 13 queries