English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Apps

Old 26 May 2020, 17:15   #1
stevelord

Raspbian Buster Samba and SMBFS

Hi all,

I've rebuilt my sidecar box with Raspbian Buster, which comes with Samba 4.9.5. I've tried sharing my Samba filesystem with the Amiga, but Olaf Barthel's SMBFS can't seem to play. I'm getting fairly detailed logs (which I'll post shortly) on the Amiga side but on the Pi side I'm just getting auth.log errors saying nobody tried to log on. I've attached my current smb.conf. I've checked the following threads:

http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?...ighlight=samba

http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?...t=samba&page=2

http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?...ighlight=samba

My hope is that I can resolve the issue with some help, and in return provide a full known-working smb.conf.

Would someone mind taking a look and telling me if there's anything they see that's wrong?

Cheers,
Steve

smb_conf.txt

Last edited by stevelord; 26 May 2020 at 17:17. Reason: Updated with further info, corrected spelling
Old 26 May 2020, 23:19   #2
rare_j
Zone Friend

Can you browse the share from any other computer to check that it is working?
Old 27 May 2020, 22:34   #3
stevelord

It looks like valid users = pi means don't let user pi or any other user log on at all. I took that out and things seem to be working. I can now transfer off the Amiga but the ownership is weird and copying files off the samba server results in 0 length files on the amiga. I'm going to have a look in a bit more depth when I'm next on it.
Old 28 May 2020, 03:26   #4
rare_j
Zone Friend

Here's a conf entry that works. It's for a public share, so any machine on the network can read and write to this folder without logging on (specifying a username and password). You can use this as a base for what you want to set up.

[PS2SMB]
comment = PS2SMB
path = "/mnt/ps2smb"
writeable = yes
guest ok = yes
create mask = 0644
directory mask = 0755
force user = pi

Also, what filesystem is the drive that the share is on? This makes a difference. The above share is for a usb flash drive that is formatted ntfs. So the fstab entry looks like this: (using the flash drive's name as an identifier)

LABEL=Databar /mnt/ps2smb ntfs-3g defaults,windows_names,hide_hid_files,compression,noatime,uid=1000,gid=1000,dmask=022,fmask=133,nofail,x-systemd.device-timeout=5 0 2

You need to check that the package ntfs-3g is installed for this to work properly with an ntfs formatted drive.

Ok, so the following conf entry and fstab entry is for a usb flash drive formatted fat32: (using the flash drive's partition id from output from blkid as an identifier)

[Guest]
path = "/mnt/usbflash/Guest"
read only = no
guest ok = yes
create mask = 0644
directory mask = 0755

Fstab:
PARTUUID=c3072e18-01 /mnt/usbflash vfat defaults,noatime,umask=000,uid=1000,flush,nofail,x-systemd.device-timeout=5 0 0

I've just pasted this stuff in from my working setup - if any of this needs further explanation I could do a step-by-step guide.

Last edited by rare_j; 28 May 2020 at 04:15.