English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.WinUAE

Old 20 January 2006, 08:53   #1
Shoonay
Global Caturator

Question Harddrive connected to a USB IDE Controller in WinUAE on WinXP

Is it save, to connect an Amiga formatted HD, to a PC through a USB -> IDE converter, and use it sucesfully in WinUAE on WinXP?
Any problems between the 1.0 (1.1?), 2.0 versions?

I've heard that it (the converter/switcher/adapter thing ) doesn't recognize some older... or rather, some REALLY old disks from the 1MB - 999MB "era" (something to do with PIO modes... or something...).

Also, if my memory doesn't fail me, i've read somewhere (EAB perhaps?), that even if one connects an Amiga formatted HD and boots a PC with Win98, the RDB gets overwritten or deleted or something like that... or does it?

Someone tested this controller/converter/switcher/adapter thing?

I'll probably test it pretty much soon, since i've just got the thing on Allegro (eBay type polish auction site)

One thing i know, and i've tested precisely: One can easly add/remove disks on a RUNNING PC with WinXP just by selecting "find new devices" in the My Computer/Devices (or whatever it's named in Your WinXP ) tab. The only danger is the power connector that gets so roughly deattached...
BUT those disks are ONLY seen on the PC, to get them seen by WinUAE one should reboot... it's easy to remove the disk freely though...
Old 20 January 2006, 10:42   #2
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

Dunno about USB, but 1394, if you get one with an Oxford Semiconductor 911, 911+ or 912 they will work. Trust me, I work for the company that designed them

Maxtor One Touch II - Might work, that is a 912 with an extra USB chip.
Old 20 January 2006, 10:58   #3
Shoonay
Global Caturator

Just like i've not heard about the "USB 2 IDE" interface a week ago, i have no idea about the ones you mention...

Those are things like "1394 to IDE" controllers or hard drives WITH "1394" connector?

PS: Isn't 1394 more know as firewire?
Old 20 January 2006, 12:28   #4
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

"Real" removable/hotpluggable devices work fine, for example CF-card connected to USB-card reader.
Old 20 January 2006, 12:53   #5
pvt_beano

USB to IDE

I'm currently using an amiga 2.5" drive in a smal USB2.0 caddy with WINUAE in order to transfer some files onto my A600. It seems to work fine for me . Just make sure you use the -disableharddrivesafetycheck switch when you start WINUAE. Good luck

And IEEE1394 is the same as Firewire, however, Firewire is the Apple trademark for IEEE1394 so technically you can't call it that unless it is on a MAC. The 1394 bit stands for the IEEE standard which sets out how Firewire works, connects, etc

Last edited by pvt_beano; 20 January 2006 at 16:22.
Old 26 January 2006, 16:55   #6
Shoonay
Global Caturator

Yup, Toni is right - works fine

Thanks everyone
Old 06 February 2006, 16:10   #7
Mojo

Send a message via ICQ to Mojo Send a message via AIM to Mojo Send a message via Yahoo to Mojo
Hey guys, I am trying to get my amiga hard drive mounted in winUAE.

The hard drive is a Western Digital Tidbit 80. 80MB 2.5" IDE interface. Pulled it from my working stock A1200.

In the past I have mounted this drive in winuae via 3.5-2.5 converter internally straight to IDE. Never got my usb-to-ide adapter working ever -It's plugged in now.

Problem is - I can't get either to work. Could be a jumpers issue, but I don't have any jumpers that fit it. It won't show up in bios no matter how I plug it in. Swapped with the cd-drive, secondary hdd etc.

I read somewhere about the PIO problem with old HDDs. I think this is probably the problem - How can I get PIO to work with my usb device? possible?

I tried the -disablesafetycheck in winuae and it just listed my two internal hdds - 60GB and 80GB.

Any help MUCH appreciated.
Old 06 February 2006, 17:13   #8
Mojo

Send a message via ICQ to Mojo Send a message via AIM to Mojo Send a message via Yahoo to Mojo
I have now decided to try and get my 5GB 2.5 IBM Travelstar hard drive in my amiga.

I have deleted partitions in win2k (USBtoIDE interface) using the 'Administrative Tools > Computer Management > Storage' program.

This drive shows up in WinUAE with the -disablesafetycheck variable passed, however HDToolbox cannot see my drive (I am installing workbench 3.0 in winuae to the drive itself, and then mount physically in the amiga).

It is mounted as R/W, in WinUAE using a matched profile as the hardware amiga 1200 - down to the kickstart revision.

What should I do? I have a feeling this could be a PIO mode problem, although the drive is fine in windows..
Old 06 February 2006, 17:29   #9
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

Could be that it's larger than 4GB?

For the 80Mbyte 2.5" IDE, can you not select PIO mode from your BIOS?

If it doesnt come up here (BIOS startup / POST)... it wont appear in windows / to WinUAE.
Old 06 February 2006, 17:52   #10
Mojo

I thought that the 4GB limitation was only in addressing? Only being able to use the first 4GB. Even if I only got 1GB usable I would be happy.

I've had loads of problems trying to mount the 80MB hard drive, I think it could be jumper settings - I don't have any jumpers that fit and no drive documentation.
Old 06 February 2006, 18:15   #11
Mojo

For such an awkward thing, I'm surprised that no-one has written a guide. I'd write one, but don't have the required experience or resources.

Mounting hard drives, hardware limitations (amiga, usb-ide interfaces), WB limitations.

If there is one in existance PLEASE direct me to it.

I remember all my woes from a year ago when I last tried transferring things to the amiga.

I tried
networking (3com pcmcia card ethernet10mbit): Not enough ram (2mb stock 1200)
null modem (Wierd science kit): Just couldn't get it to work
amiga hard disk in PC with 2.5/3.5 adapter: Worked eventually with another pc
amiga hard disk in PC with USB-IDE adapter: Does not show up (possibly PIO mode problem)
Old 06 February 2006, 18:29   #12
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Replace scsi.device in HDToolbox's icon properties with uaehf.device and/or run hdtoolbox with uaehf.device parameter.
Old 06 February 2006, 18:52   #13
Mojo

I couldn't find a 'properties' for the menu but under 'information' I got this:

(see attachment)

I've tried executing a command but can't remember the CLI format: "DF1:HDTools/HDToolbox uaehf.device", can't remember the correct way. :E
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ScreenHunter_10.jpg
Views:	638
Size:	77.3 KB
ID:	10144  

Last edited by Mojo; 06 February 2006 at 19:03.
Old 06 February 2006, 23:03   #14
thomas

Quote:
(see attachment)
Well, obviously they added the tooltypes with WB3.1. Don't know if the 3.0 version supports tooltypes at all, but you can try to add it anyway. IIRC it has to read

SCSI_DEVICE_NAME=uaehf.device

Quote:
"DF1:HDTools/HDToolbox uaehf.device"
This is correct. But you have to type it without the quotation marks. And as I mentioned above, I don't know if the 3.0 version of HDToolbox supports other devices than scsi.device. You should try the 3.1 version of it. It has example tooltypes and it supports uaehf.device for sure.
Old 09 March 2006, 00:50   #15
DaZZaBoY
Diamond Geezer!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pvt_beano
I'm currently using an amiga 2.5" drive in a smal USB2.0 caddy with WINUAE in order to transfer some files onto my A600. It seems to work fine for me . Just make sure you use the -disableharddrivesafetycheck switch when you start WINUAE. Good luck
Woah! Awesome! I was hoping to find a work around to use my old Amiga HD via a USB2.0 caddy and now I can. Well impressed.
Old 09 March 2006, 13:41   #16
gizmomelb

Hi Mojo,
I installed a 4.3GB HDD in my A1200 and I finally ended up getting it working by setting each partition to <2GB, with no more than 3.99GB in total space of the HDD used. (ie: 2x partitions of 1.9GB each).

With partition sizes set any bigger the data would 'wrap around' near the end of the HDD and overwrite the beginning sectors - thus screwing the partition info etc. I found this out the hard way.

Hope this helps.