English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > abime.net - Hosted Projects > project.ClassicWB

Old 22 June 2005, 06:25   #1
AmigaMac

Classic WB Hangs After Creating System.HDF---Help!

Hey Guys...Long time Commodore user, relatively new Amiga 1200 user. I'm new to this group also and so I hope someone here can help me.

I tried installing the AdvSP version of Classic WB on my Amiga 1200 and am running into some installation problems. I have successfully made the installer disk from the ADF file using Trans-ADF. I also have successfully put the System.zip disk on drive DH0. I am not doing this via PC...I have managed to do this using 2 hard drives and a PCMCIA card to transfer files on my Amiga 1200.

When I boot using the installer disk it says:

Installing Classic WB, please wait
Archive: DH0: System.zip
inflating: DH0: System.HDF

Then, after it's done it says:

Trashcan found! Installing icon
copy failed return code 20
1>

At this point, it just hangs. It does appear to create the System.HDF file on DH0. I have the 3.1 Roms installed with OS3.1. I am trying to do a clean install to a hard drive with two 2Gb partitions, DH0 and DH1. The System.zip file is on DH0. I also have a GVP1230 accelerator card in the expansion slot. I have even ried removing the accelerator card during installation, but I get the same results.

Any suggestions? I'm pretty profiicient with computers and so it's very frustrating that I can't figure this out...seems to be something with the installer, but I assume other people have gotten this to work??? I'm a Mac guy mostly, but I love the Commodore and Amiga stuff...have had my Commodore stuff for over 20 years and still growing. The Amiga is a very cool computer...I've even managed to install MaxUAE and UAE with AIAB on my Mac...very cool stuff!

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

- Paul

Old 22 June 2005, 23:37   #2
Bloodwych

Sounds to me like the zip file was corrupt and unzip didn't decompress the workbench. That's the reason why copy failed - it couldn't find the source it wanted to copy from as it didn't exist.

How long did System.zip take to decompress? It should have taken a very long time with screen output, not a split second. Even if the installer had failed at that point, the workbench would have still worked if the zip file had decompressed successfully.

Please don't waste any more time on this until I've had a chance to test! I'm sorry if you've been frustrated but I haven't encountered this problem before and I'll do my best to help once I get some free time.

Perhaps archives over a certain size cause problems with unzip or amiga zip? I've never re-tested the install procedure since the archive grew in size. If you don't want to wait, you could always try archiving in lzx instead and decompressing it yourself Amiga side. All the install disk does is decompress the archive and replace the trash icon.
Old 23 June 2005, 00:47   #3
Bloodwych

No problems with Zip or Unzip - the install disk also works fine.

After re-reading your thread, I hope:

Quote:
Installing Classic WB, please wait
Archive: DH0: System.zip
inflating: DH0: System.HDF
was a typing error on your part.

System.HDF must be run in an emulator like UAE first as it's a virtual hard disk file. Then you create System.ZIP (in other words a zip archive) in the emulator and it's this file that gets transferred to the Amiga and decompressed using the disk.

If you haven't created System.ZIP, then please read the instructions.

If you have, then I'll try and help some more.
Old 23 June 2005, 23:59   #4
AmigaMac

Thumbs up

Bloodwych,

Thank you for answering my inquiry. It's a pleasure to talk to you! That was no typo in my original inquiry. I mistakenly created the System.zip file from the System.HDF file. I didn't realize that the System.HDF file had to be transferred back to a PC running WinUAE and then zipped. I thought that the installer disk had a routine to unzip the HDF file on the Amiga side. It just wasn't clear to me at the time. Once I went back and read your instructions, it became clear that I was doing the wrong thing.

The good news is that I was able to install WinUAE on my kid's PC, install the HDF file, and then zip the System folder to the PC's desktop. I then transferred that file via PCMCIA memory card to the Amiga and then copied it to HD0. Afer rebooting with the installer disk, it worked like a charm and all the system files got extracted. Upon reboot, I had ClassicWB!

So, your comment to me about my "typo" was extremely helpful to me for getting this figured out.

I have another inquiry...is it possible to use this technique for OS 3.9 if you had an HDF file that was OS 3.9? Does the installer disk just unzip the file termed "System.zip"? Just curious...

Thanks!

Paul

Old 24 June 2005, 19:46   #5
Bloodwych

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmigaMac
The good news is that I was able to install WinUAE on my kid's PC, install the HDF file, and then zip the System folder to the PC's desktop. I then transferred that file via PCMCIA memory card to the Amiga and then copied it to HD0. Afer rebooting with the installer disk, it worked like a charm and all the system files got extracted. Upon reboot, I had ClassicWB!

I have another inquiry...is it possible to use this technique for OS 3.9 if you had an HDF file that was OS 3.9? Does the installer disk just unzip the file termed "System.zip"? Just curious...

Thanks!

Paul
Hey no problem - glad you got it sorted.

You didn't have to run the HDF in WinUAE, you could have run it in the Mac version of UAE. I'm sure HDF files are universal across UAE computer formats!

Answering your question - yes, all the disk does is unpack System.zip (and replace the trash icon if one exists). So you can put anything in the zip.