English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 31 October 2013, 09:39   #1
rams

Comprehensive list of supported joysticks?

Hello all,

Since I've been away from all things Amiga for quite a while, I have lost touch on what options I do have on the Joystick side of things. Which is unfortunate since I am holding a Sensible Soccer cup for my friends and my joysticks could really use a facelift or retirement.

So, does anyone know if there is some sort of list of joysticks that will work on Amiga? I take it that the Sega Megadrive pads are functional except for some extra buttons?

Or.. If there is no such thing, maybe you could list here all the pads and joysticks you know to work with Amiga?

Thanks!

Last edited by rams; 31 October 2013 at 10:09. Reason: Added the Or.. bit
Old 01 November 2013, 17:35   #2
Jope
-

Uh, look at old Mikrobittis or C-Lehtis? The only modern Amiga compatible stick that is available new is the Competition Pro Retro, which can still be found from the few Amiga retailers that remain. The other sticks can be found on huutonet, ebay, amibay.

For console pads, it's sega master system unmodified and megadrive/genesis with modifications, atari 2600 unmodified.
Old 04 November 2013, 15:00   #3
rams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jope View Post
Uh, look at old Mikrobittis or C-Lehtis? The only modern Amiga compatible stick that is available new is the Competition Pro Retro, which can still be found from the few Amiga retailers that remain. The other sticks can be found on huutonet, ebay, amibay.

For console pads, it's sega master system unmodified and megadrive/genesis with modifications, atari 2600 unmodified.
Thanks! I have been scouting the auction sites mainly for Tac-2 (very hard to come by and the available ones are ridiculously priced) and Competition pro (ebay.de seems the best place for these) joystics.

I really cannot remember any other good brand of joysticks.. I recall Quickshots got broken in the minute they were taken off the box and the other joystics I remember using were just crap to hold.

I think I'll just order a bag of microswitches and keep an eye for decent pair of competition pros in ebay.
Old 04 November 2013, 16:04   #4
demolition
Unregistered User

Anything from Suzo/STC is quite durable in my opinion. They are mostly known for The Arcade and Prof. Competition (not the same as Competition Pro, although they look very similar). The Arcade is one of my favorite ones. Also the Slik Stik is worth mentioning (not Suzo).
Old 04 November 2013, 17:24   #5
Jope
-

Yeh, there's a reason there's only TAC-2s and Comppros left.. The Cruiser is a good joystick too.

I don't like the tac-2 personally. Sure, it doesn't break, but it doesn't really work that well either, nor does it indicate a successful contact in any way.
Old 04 November 2013, 20:25   #6
protek
Amiga hobbyist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jope View Post
I don't like the tac-2 personally. Sure, it doesn't break, but it doesn't really work that well either, nor does it indicate a successful contact in any way.
Same here. I managed to find one from a flea market for 2 € some years back. It works but I find it sluggish.

I've accumulated various joysticks but none of them really are as good as my old Commodore VG-260 that I've owned since new.

I'd like to find a Rushware Cobra some day. Only seen it in pictures. Cost a good deal of money back in the day. Almost 500 FIM, if I remember correctly.
Old 05 November 2013, 08:04   #7
rams

Quote:
Originally Posted by demolition View Post
Anything from Suzo/STC is quite durable in my opinion. They are mostly known for The Arcade and Prof. Competition (not the same as Competition Pro, although they look very similar). The Arcade is one of my favorite ones. Also the Slik Stik is worth mentioning (not Suzo).
Actually I think the one I have is Prof. Competition. It is just awesome joystick. I bought it at age of 12 or so and it still works (more or less) after 30 years. And it did live through my teenage years when I was not so good at controlling my temper.