Still haven't beat level 14.
Old 07 September 2019, 01:11   #43
malko
Ex nihilo nihil

Quote:
Originally Posted by john4p View Post
[...]
Still haven't beat level 14.
Nice score John ! Still don't want to have a quick look at the GIF ?

Today was a great go !
- I scored a perfect on level 11* for the first time ! (I said to myself, "Come on, I'll try again." And it worked !)
- I also scored "perfect" on levels 15 & 17
- And finally, I was introduced to the green blobs . They have a lethal spitting but they are cool.

Unfortunately, as usual, lost almost all my lives on level 18 (lost 12 or 13 lives if I remember correctly). I don't know the whole game, but regarding the levels I know, level 18 is the most difficult one so far. Not impossible, but the trickiest.

* @Tsak & @alpine9000 : I think it is only by luck. Do you really think it's possible to "perfect" level 11 without luck ? Are you able personally to score a "perfect" at each go on level 11 ?

Today's score : 34'972 (game over at level 23)
(Tsak, I told you you should have raised your score )

Last edited by malko; 07 September 2019 at 01:19.
Old 07 September 2019, 01:25   #44
alpine9000

Quote:
Originally Posted by malko View Post
Nice score John ! Still don't want to have a quick look at the GIF ?

Today was a great go !
- I scored a perfect on level 11* for the first time ! (I said to myself, "Come on, I'll try again." And it worked !)
- I also scored "perfect" on levels 15 & 17
- And finally, I was introduced to the green blobs . They have a lethal spitting but they are cool.

Unfortunately, as usual, lost almost all my lives on level 18 (lost 12 or 13 lives if I remember correctly). I don't know the whole game, but regarding the levels I know, level 18 is the most difficult one so far. Not impossible, but the trickiest.

* @Tsak & @alpine9000 : I think it is only by luck. Do you really think it's possible to "perfect" level 11 without luck ? Are you able personally to score a "perfect" at each go on level 11 ?

I gave the game a play as I could not remember enough details to answer, I'm not enterering the compo, but if you're interested I got up to level 19, def not perfect on every level.

I myself don't think I could do level 11 perfect without massive risk. Level 18 is actually not to bad when you work out a nice repeatable technique.

I lost most of my lives on level 16, even though I thought I remembered how to do it!
Old 07 September 2019, 01:39   #45
malko
Ex nihilo nihil

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpine9000 View Post
I gave the game a play as I could not remember enough details to answer, I'm not enterering the compo, but if you're interested I got up to level 19, def not perfect on every level.
[...]
I myself don't think I could do level 11 perfect without massive risk. Level 18 is actually not to bad when you work out a nice repeatable technique.
I lost most of my lives on level 16, even though I thought I remembered how to do it!
Thank you for your answer (and kind of confirmation for level 11)
Isn't level 16, the one with the spikes ? Is so, I agree, not easy to find the way without loosing lives
Old 07 September 2019, 01:50   #46
alpine9000

Quote:
Thank you for your answer (and kind of confirmation for level 11)
Isn't level 16, the one with the spikes ? Is so, I agree, not easy to find the way without loosing lives
Yeah, the spike one, and I know the way, and I still lost lives
Old 07 September 2019, 01:57   #47
capehorn

Old 07 September 2019, 03:01   #48
Tsak
Pixelglass/Reimagine

Quote:

Good one mate!

Quote:
I can make a perfect on this level 99 out of 99 times... If (and only if) I use my joystick (on my Amiga). Very tough with keys. Basically there's a trick to keep your distance from the blue blob as much as possible with the controls. And another trick to pickup that elusive diamond (but I guess you've figured that out already if you did score a perfect)
Old 07 September 2019, 04:30   #49
DamienD
Banned

I mean, don't watch if you're in the competition, and I won't link to... but hipoonios's "longplay" YouTube video of this game is absolutely f%^king crazy... mad skills
Old 07 September 2019, 08:04   #50
linesmachine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsak View Post
Good one mate!

I can make a perfect on this level 99 out of 99 times... If (and only if) I use my joystick (on my Amiga). Very tough with keys. Basically there's a trick to keep your distance from the blue blob as much as possible with the controls. And another trick to pickup that elusive diamond (but I guess you've figured that out already if you did score a perfect)
Both levels 10 & 11 (and a few others PRIOR to it) make use of the fact that, although the game is effectively a grid based system, you only have to enter a pixel of that grid to pick up a gem/sword/activate a monster. This means, for example, you can both pick up a sword AND turn and swipe with VERY small margins of error and available of time and space. The downside is that replicating a 'speed run' where you memorise the first ten levels (this is my own strategy) is not as simple as it sounds because every level still has a margin of error regarding exact timing.
Old 07 September 2019, 11:17   #51
john4p
Competition Moderator

Quote:
Still don't want to have a quick look at the GIF ?
No, I want to figure out anything on my own (Beast II and Exile shall remain the only exceptions where I looked at a vid).

I already know you have to play level 14 Metal Gear Solid-style and that the blobs have eyes in their ass*.
(*Important to know for level 7 as well @Harry & capehorn).

Going to practice the level until I can beat it every time.
Old 07 September 2019, 21:35   #52
john4p
Competition Moderator

Still can't beat it every time but at least got past it now. Died in level 16.
Old 07 September 2019, 23:37   #53
malko
Ex nihilo nihil

Quote:
Good one mate! [...]
Thanks

Quote:
[...] I can make a perfect on this level 99 out of 99 times... If (and only if) I use my joystick (on my Amiga). Very tough with keys. [...]
99 out of 99 :

Quote:
[...]Basically there's a trick to keep your distance from the blue blob as much as possible with the controls. And another trick to pickup that elusive diamond (but I guess you've figured that out already if you did score a perfect)
I think you are refering to the technique which consist of not finishing the move on the block and going straight back ? I use it on another level also to get a bottle of beer after some spikes (think it's the 6th level). There it's ok as the red blob that is coming is slower but on level 11, damn, the blue blob is really close so trying to get this diamond is really dangerous ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by linesmachine View Post
[...] This means, for example, you can both pick up a sword AND turn and swipe with VERY small margins of error and available of time and space.[...]
This is especially true for level 11 . Some further levels also require such swordplay

Quote:
Still can't beat it every time but at least got past it now. Died in level 16.
Score is improving at each play
Old 08 September 2019, 02:04   #54
malko
Ex nihilo nihil

You know what ?
It costed me 2 plays and almost 40 lives but I found my way to succeed level 18. There's a small timing to respect but it's "for sure" !
And cherry on the cake, it's a "perfect" way .
I feel like this now :

Time to go to sleep.
Old 08 September 2019, 02:14   #55
Tsak
Pixelglass/Reimagine

Quote:
Originally Posted by linesmachine View Post
Both levels 10 & 11 (and a few others PRIOR to it) make use of the fact that, although the game is effectively a grid based system, you only have to enter a pixel of that grid to pick up a gem/sword/activate a monster. This means, for example, you can both pick up a sword AND turn and swipe with VERY small margins of error and available of time and space.
Yup, that's correct!

Quote:
I already know you have to play level 14 Metal Gear Solid-style and that the blobs have eyes in their ass*.
Or as the manual quotes: "Despite the direction they seem to look (and thanks to their semi-transparent body) blobs will react as long as you cross with them horizontally or vertically, no matter your distance!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpine9000 View Post
Yeah, the spike one, and I know the way, and I still lost lives
Most furtrating thing in this level is getting your way out of the spikes, only to mess up in the second part of the puzzle with the blue blob!

Oh, the horrors of trying to be Worthy!

Quote:
I think you are refering to the technique which consist of not finishing the move on the block and going straight back ? I use it on another level also to get a bottle of beer after some spikes (think it's the 6th level).
That's the first part of the tip. The second part is that you can actually use diagonals to automatically slide through a pass without losing ground. So if f.e. you are moving rightwards through a corridor and at the end there is a pass upwards, you can keep pressing forwards and up and your character will slide up automatically when you reach it. That way you can effectively keep your distance from those nasty, super fast blue blobs
Old 08 September 2019, 02:51   #56
malko
Ex nihilo nihil

It looks easy, but it's not. It requires practice
Old 08 September 2019, 03:08   #57
alpine9000

Nice solution @malko!, my solution is completely different, I found a way I can do it without needing any "waits" (except at the start) as I found that it was more repeatable and I would lose less lives as I would often not time the waits correctly. But my "safe" solution is a few seconds longer than yours (4 seconds remaining on the counter I think from memory).
Old 08 September 2019, 10:43   #58
john4p
Competition Moderator

^ Really cool that there's more than one way to "perfect" a level.

Quote:
Or as the manual quotes: "Despite the direction they seem to look (and thanks to their semi-transparent body) blobs will react as long as you cross with them horizontally or vertically, no matter your distance!"
Yeah that definition is more exact I guess.
Old 08 September 2019, 12:11   #59
john4p
Competition Moderator

Here's my route for level 18:

I'll have a look at malko's GIFs when the round is over...
Old 08 September 2019, 12:53   #60
alpine9000

Quote:
Here's my route for level 18:

I'll have a look at malko's GIFs when the round is over...
Nice one!, my route is completely different to you guys.

[ Show youtube player ]