English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 19 February 2015, 13:23   #1
Toni Galvez

A new Learning Demo for Amiga OCS and beyond.

We founded a group called CopperSky.

Next saturday my friend @fcabrera_77 and I will release our "Learning Demo" for #Amiga, based in a well known konami game. So, stay alert.

Last edited by Toni Galvez; 19 February 2015 at 21:40.
Old 19 February 2015, 20:33   #2
adrdesign

Old 19 February 2015, 22:21   #3
tolkien
AmigaMan

Good toni!
Old 19 February 2015, 22:55   #4
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

OMG! I'm so psyched now!

aka Bring it punk!
Old 19 February 2015, 23:03   #5
Lonewolf10
AMOS Extensions Developer

Looking forward to something new
Old 20 February 2015, 03:53   #6
Nekoniaow
Banned

This is a pet peeve of mine so I have to ask: will you guys try to obtain an official license?

There is not much money in the Amiga market I assume so it would make sense for Konami to not ask for a very large licensing fee. If you guys can provide them with a convincing prototype I can't think of many reasons for them to refuse the opportunity.

Also, naturally I am eagerly awaiting more information about this project.

PS:
Also, I'm glad you chose Konami not hey... another one.
Old 20 February 2015, 11:13   #7
nandius_c
Fernando Cabrera

Hi everyone, I'm @fcabrera_77 in Twitter, the other member of CopperSky and I've been the coder of the demo. Don't expect anything special from it as it's the first "serious" stuff I've ever done in asm... and for the Amiga . The playable part of the demo doesn't include, for example, neither collision detection nor enemies, etc. and it still shows some glitches from time to time. We did it just for learning purposes but we'd really like to share it with the Amiga community, though we know we still have everything to learn. And this is the best place to do that, thanks to people like @phx or @Photon (and his must see Youtube tuts) who, in a way or another, helped me a lot since I started coding for the Amiga more than a year ago. Thanks!
Old 20 February 2015, 11:43   #8
jbenam
Italian Amiga Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nekoniaow View Post
There is not much money in the Amiga market I assume so it would make sense for Konami to not ask for a very large licensing fee.
Sorry if I steer this thread towards off-topic, but even if Konami was to ask only for 500EUR, it'd still be an insane amount for a niche platform like the Amiga, which we all use as an hobby.

Unless you're an hardware maker there's no more money to be made out of the Amiga and I don't think many would justify a loss of 500 EURs just to legally show a demo. Yes, it's "wrong" but I think that it would be even more wrong from a big company to ask money for something only a few hundreds of souls will ever see/play (F- you, Studio Peyo!).

Asking just for permission to use their IPs in a non-profit way, on the other hand, would make sense. I'm pretty sure they'd be okay with it
Old 20 February 2015, 12:05   #9
Toni Galvez

This is our first production, on the future, we will make original games.
Old 20 February 2015, 12:14   #10
LuMan
Amigan - an' lovin' it!!

This is great news. It's encouraging to see people not only get into (or even 'get back' into) Amiga coding, but creating a whole new group to do it is not only good for the Amiga community, but also for stoking the flames of nostalgia and making us all feel good inside

Plus, it should add as inspiration to those who are thinking about doing 'something' on an Amiga and get them to do it.

I was firtling about with Blitz Basic recently and did a bit of a scroller demo. Nothing special, but it has 2 scrollers and a bit of a tune. I was thinking of adding some copper effects to it, but never got around to it. After reading this thread I'm going to throw it out there for folk to see (or laugh at, or improve, or whatever).

Good going, CopperSky. Best of fortune and really looking forward to the demo
Old 20 February 2015, 12:58   #11
nandius_c
Fernando Cabrera

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuMan View Post
This is great news. It's encouraging to see people not only get into (or even 'get back' into) Amiga coding, but creating a whole new group to do it is not only good for the Amiga community, but also for stoking the flames of nostalgia and making us all feel good inside

Plus, it should add as inspiration to those who are thinking about doing 'something' on an Amiga and get them to do it.

I was firtling about with Blitz Basic recently and did a bit of a scroller demo. Nothing special, but it has 2 scrollers and a bit of a tune. I was thinking of adding some copper effects to it, but never got around to it. After reading this thread I'm going to throw it out there for folk to see (or laugh at, or improve, or whatever).

Good going, CopperSky. Best of fortune and really looking forward to the demo
Thank you so much for your words We've been inspired by many people (some of them in these forums, as I said before) who have been coding or doing graphics or music for the Amiga for years, so we'll be really glad if our work can do the same for others too.

We look forward to seeing your scroller demo, good luck!
Old 20 February 2015, 13:26   #12
turrican3
Moon 1969 = amiga 1985

can't wait to see your work, if you need any help even basic, just pm me.
Old 20 February 2015, 13:49   #13
nandius_c
Fernando Cabrera

Quote:
Originally Posted by turrican3 View Post
can't wait to see your work, if you need any help even basic, just pm me.
Thank you so much for your support, we really appreciate it . And, you know... don't be too hard on us when you finally see our demo!

P.S: you didn't guess the Konami game...
Old 20 February 2015, 15:50   #14
Nekoniaow
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbenam View Post
Sorry if I steer this thread towards off-topic, but even if Konami was to ask only for 500EUR, it'd still be an insane amount for a niche platform like the Amiga, which we all use as an hobby.

Unless you're an hardware maker there's no more money to be made out of the Amiga and I don't think many would justify a loss of 500 EURs just to legally show a demo. [...]

Asking just for permission to use their IPs in a non-profit way, on the other hand, would make sense. I'm pretty sure they'd be okay with it
I would definitely pay these 500 € even if I were not sure of recouping them.
Having an actual official Konami/SEGA sticker on your product and being an acknowledged licensee is more than just a badge of honor and opens many other doors. It's not a dead fee, far from it. When you go see other rights owners they will take it into account, when you change employer as well. It would be a very small investment in your future but with big returns.
Old 20 February 2015, 16:35   #15
turrican3
Moon 1969 = amiga 1985

@Nekoniaow
And if you decide to port the whole game, you could use a kickstarter just to pay the copyright.
@nandius_c I didn't expect the full game, for the moment.
Old 21 February 2015, 00:07   #16
nandius_c
Fernando Cabrera

I've just uploaded the ADF for our little demo to The Zone. I also attached the file to this message for those of you who cannot access The Zone .

Note: you will need 512K of chip RAM + 512K of Fast / Slow RAM to run it.
Attached Files
File Type: zip Nippon_Taste_by_CopperSky.zip (317.8 KB, 406 views)
Old 21 February 2015, 00:38   #17
StingRay
move.l #$c0ff33,throat

Keep working on it, the "scrolling demo" looks quite promising already, nice presentation.
Old 21 February 2015, 01:21   #18
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nekoniaow View Post
This is a pet peeve of mine so I have to ask: will you guys try to obtain an official license?

There is not much money in the Amiga market I assume so it would make sense for Konami to not ask for a very large licensing fee. If you guys can provide them with a convincing prototype I can't think of many reasons for them to refuse the opportunity.

Also, naturally I am eagerly awaiting more information about this project.

PS:
Also, I'm glad you chose Konami not hey... another one.
With respect, your 'pet peeve' is how many years too late?

You also underestimate how licensing works. The likes of Konami don't just hand out a licence to produce a copy of their work just for a fee, they'll want design briefs and plans and want to know everything, from release structure, to expected sales, and all that stuff.

And when you've complied with their every request..... they'll turn it down flat, because it isn't good for their brand.

The likes of Konami don't give a damn about stuff like this so long as you're not actively advertising it far and wide and seeking to make money out of it.

There is NO money to be made out of Amiga stuff anymore, thats why Putty Squad got released for free, the ONLY way to make money out of an Amiga title is a Kickstarter campaign, and then, and only then is it worth licencing something, because then you can't possibly be under the radar.

I'd love to finally see Z by the Bitmap Brothers released on Amiga, most of the setups people have now, its perfectly feasible......... I doubt Mike Montgomery would licence it for peanuts though
Old 21 February 2015, 01:54   #19
turrican3
Moon 1969 = amiga 1985

really good demo, good scroll.I recognized the original game but will let the surprise. thanks guys.
why nobody tried yet to make a kickstarter campaign for amiga games ??? I think it could work. And strangely even if the amiga is so old, i would like to see new games on it.
If amiga games were available now, i would be ready to buy one, for sure... But not any game, a good game, it could be beautifull or great scenario or impressive from a coding pov.
Now a rip of a really great game like metal gear (msx), i would pay for it too, but you'll have to buy the licence, you could make a kickstarter to pay the licence... ask the price of the licence for the amiga and just make a kickstarter to collect the money to buy it. I would like to see this happening, this should help to keep more alive the amiga spirit from the past.
I'm sure like the fact that more games for the 68k were done lately inspire others to do the same, if someone succeed to make a kickstarter, you'll have others trying the same. And if the games proposed are goods, i'm sure it can work.
ps: Or perhaps i'm a big dreamer.

Last edited by turrican3; 21 February 2015 at 05:10.
Old 21 February 2015, 09:30   #20
nandius_c
Fernando Cabrera

Quote:
Originally Posted by StingRay View Post
Keep working on it, the "scrolling demo" looks quite promising already, nice presentation.
We decided not to keep working any longer in the demo, it started as a scrolling test and it's been several months since that, so... It's time to go on learning while thinking of a new project! Thanks a lot!