English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 26 December 2010, 14:29   #1
Mr B

What LCD (LED) TV to get? 42"'ish

Probably the wrong subforum... But i looked around, and couldn't find a better fit, guess i should have slept more.

Looking to get a TV, to hook up with a RGB cable from the A1200, that should also hook PSX, XBOX, and preferably support network & USB for harddrive, with record / pause / playback features. Sorry, it's only vaguely Amiga related, but after all, it is mainly the Amiga that makes this hard to find.
TV max dimensions, 105x69,5cm, without a stand. (I'll use a wall-mount)
B!
Old 26 December 2010, 17:44   #2
s2325
Zone Friend

Please remember that 42'' is too big for Amiga games. They will be extremely pixelated.
Old 26 December 2010, 18:34   #3
Mr B

I simply have no choice in the matter. I cant justify more then one telly, and with the other uses it's simply a matter of making do with what you got. It's going to be a 42", so i'm just trying to find the one that atleast "works" with it.
I still have my monitor with video in, if it sucks to much, i'll stick it there in the future still. But color is an issue with this thing. Composite video sucks.
B!
Old 26 December 2010, 22:00   #4
orange

I got a 42" (TV), and 'pixelation' is not such a problem. you can always just watch from distance.
resolutions are (usually) not 2^n times higher than Amiga, so picture won't be very sharp/pixelated.

only problem is that those new TVs are 16:9.
yes, one can set plasma TV to 4:3, but then there are gray bars and it might suffer from burn-in.
Old 26 December 2010, 23:08   #5
bebek

I am using 52" Samsung 6th series. No interlace in flickering modes. Cool.
Old 26 December 2010, 23:47   #6
Mr B

"all" modern LCD's de-interlace, i've been told. True or not, no idea.

Anyway. On topic. I've emailed Kramer Electronics here in Sweden, and expect to get a answer on how "pro's" would do it in a few days. The largest issue is probably that i'm insisting on hooking everything up over RGB, since PSX/Xbox and the others keep switching back and forth PAL/NTSC depending on what game / emulator is loaded. Composite hookup just wont do. For the Amiga it's just a bonus to get better quality.
B!
Old 27 December 2010, 07:14   #7
Jope
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr B View Post
"all" modern LCD's de-interlace, i've been told. True or not, no idea.
Not, but many do.
Old 04 January 2011, 20:25   #8
Npl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr B View Post
Probably the wrong subforum... But i looked around, and couldn't find a better fit, guess i should have slept more.

Looking to get a TV, to hook up with a RGB cable from the A1200, that should also hook PSX, XBOX, and preferably support network & USB for harddrive, with record / pause / playback features. Sorry, it's only vaguely Amiga related, but after all, it is mainly the Amiga that makes this hard to find.
TV max dimensions, 105x69,5cm, without a stand. (I'll use a wall-mount)
B!
I bought a LG 42LE8500 the week before christmas - its quite good but I havent had time to attach my Miggy yet.

USB Playback is quite good, supporting pretty much everything (AVI,MP4,MKV,TS) including external subtitles. Playback over network is worse, no MKV and no external subs.

Video processing is top notch, "TruMotion" effectively kills the ugly judder in movies (well most of the time it works fine) and for games you get no input lag if you disable the postprocessing features (running a PS3 and PS2)

Negatives are a reflecting screen (which seems to be no big issue when its turned on, but it might be if you have direct sunlight) and weak Audio.

Oh and no recording to USB (I dont know of many TVS that do?)

Whats so special about the Miggy btw? RGB Scart should work fine - or do you want a TV that can display DblPal through VGA (doubt thats likely)?
Old 04 January 2011, 20:31   #9
Mr B

Not sure why, but some flatscreens seam to have issues with the Amiga's signals. I ended up with a LG 42LX650N. Samsung has a few TV sets that will record to USB, possibly also over the network, but they doesn't make em in 42" size. To "cure" the issue of only one Scart, I'm getting an active Scart switch. I'm going to need a bunch of Scarts for my retro days, and the TV isn't going to be easily hooked of the wall, so everything has to be hooked up all the time...

Thank you everyone for your inputs, i'll get back to ya all with some feedback on how it turned out.
B!
Old 05 January 2011, 23:25   #10
orange

the option of recording to USB is sometimes (always?) for digital signal only. newer TVs have DVB-C and/or DVB-T receivers built-in so its trivial for them to simply copy to USB.
Old 06 January 2011, 08:01   #11
Zetr0
Ya' like it Retr0?

If I can suggest ANYTHING, I would recommend a 42" plasma panel.

if you want your Panel to be hooked up to all manner of retro-mischief then I suggest that you take your favourite retro device to a TV store and test it out on various panels - ask the sales assistants they will help -

you don't need to buy from the store just tell them you have a lot to think about =)

Remember to test - Composite / RF and Scart RGB inputs with your retro kit if you can

also its wise to note that this is an investment into your hardware - it had taken me 6 months to research and save for the 42" Hitachi plasma panel that is moving swiftly to 3 years old now - its a great panel... has some quirks ... but its a fantastic investment - at the time it was £580 which for a 1280x720p (1080i) unit circa 2008 was a great price.

personally I don't like LCD's for retro kit - they pixelate to much on scaling and can stutter in 50hz modes - I also find that their RF is abysmal - however this research is based on 2 year old tech - so get out there and research the panel of your dreams remember its wiser to invest say 10% more than to get something 30% less =)
Old 06 January 2011, 13:07   #12
PowerPie5000
Miggy Ate My Hamster!

My 37" LG LH5000 LCD is great with Amiga games... but my 56" Hitachi Plasma is awful!

The LG LCD screen gives Amiga games a nice, crisp and clean image (in both 4:3 and 16:9) with vibrant colours. My Plasma looks quite "rough" and the colours seem a bit washed out or out of place... Also if i play the same game too long i end up with faint images burned into the screen (they eventually dissapear).
Old 06 January 2011, 13:47   #13
Zetr0
Ya' like it Retr0?

@PowerPie

56" plasma ... thats a funny panel size - have you got a link or model number I would be intrigued to read more about it.

wow... screen burn.... thats weird... theres been pixel shift tech in plasma's for years now...

I have mine strapped hooked up with the following

Media PC (HDMI) 1280x720p
PS3 (Component YUV) 1280x720p
PS2 (Component YUV) 480p
XBox (Component YUV) 480p
XBox360 (Component YUV) 1280x720p
Amiga (Svideo) - De-interlaces / scan doubles (limmited to 50hz freaks out at 60hz)
Dreamcast (RGB Scart) 480p/576i (although there is NO flicker 50/60hz compatible)
Megadrive(+megaCD) RF (need to make an RGB cable)
3DO composite (yeah... composite (RCA) is a little ghastly on this panel)

Serious gaming sessions can see a system running for a good portion of a Friday!

the longest time the panel is on for is when my brother comes over for serious OCD race-gaming once a month - I have never seen any ghosting or screen burn....

might I ask how old is your panel power pie?

Last edited by Zetr0; 06 January 2011 at 13:56.
Old 07 January 2011, 01:10   #14
PowerPie5000
Miggy Ate My Hamster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zetr0 View Post
@PowerPie

56" plasma ... thats a funny panel size - have you got a link or model number I would be intrigued to read more about it.

wow... screen burn.... thats weird... theres been pixel shift tech in plasma's for years now...

I have mine strapped hooked up with the following

Media PC (HDMI) 1280x720p
PS3 (Component YUV) 1280x720p
PS2 (Component YUV) 480p
XBox (Component YUV) 480p
XBox360 (Component YUV) 1280x720p
Amiga (Svideo) - De-interlaces / scan doubles (limmited to 50hz freaks out at 60hz)
Dreamcast (RGB Scart) 480p/576i (although there is NO flicker 50/60hz compatible)
Megadrive(+megaCD) RF (need to make an RGB cable)
3DO composite (yeah... composite (RCA) is a little ghastly on this panel)

Serious gaming sessions can see a system running for a good portion of a Friday!

the longest time the panel is on for is when my brother comes over for serious OCD race-gaming once a month - I have never seen any ghosting or screen burn....

might I ask how old is your panel power pie?
Ok my Plasma screen is actually 55" (i always thought it was 56" for some reason )... it's a Hitachi 55PD5200 and is getting on a bit! It's only 720P and is probably around 5 years old now!

My 37" LG LH5000 LCD screen is sooo much better and costs sooo much less than the Hitachi

Last edited by PowerPie5000; 07 January 2011 at 01:33.
Old 07 January 2011, 01:15   #15
Dreedo

HA! My 22" Goodmans LD22whateverthehell works fine with my Amiga! But then again it's only slightly larger than a normal monitor. :P
Old 07 January 2011, 01:17   #16
PowerPie5000
Miggy Ate My Hamster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreedo View Post
HA! My 22" Goodmans LD22whateverthehell works fine with my Amiga! But then again it's only slightly larger than a normal monitor. :P
My old miggy is hooked up to some old CRT TV at the moment... a cheap and cheerful 21" JVC model
Old 07 January 2011, 03:09   #17
rkauer
I hate potatos and shirts

Send a message via MSN to rkauer Send a message via Yahoo to rkauer
My Amigas are hooked to a China unknown brand 19" wide screen LCD-TV (Fujilink: is this a real brand?), but the A3000, which have its own 17" CRT LG monitor.
Old 27 January 2011, 22:33   #18
Mr B

Yesterday the cable arrived. Grabbed the long version, so i could easily put the Amiga on the living-room table while using it. Hooked everything up. No go. Telly flashes the image of the menu or the loaded workbench environment at me once every 1 or two seconds or so, but thats it. Stuck with a TV that wont display the Amiga video? Don't know yet, got a few more things to test. But if i am, what are the suggestions? A internal scandoubler? (Is there any for the A1200)

I know some flatscreens want all the grounds to be hooked up. I'm running over a Scart-switch, which has this, so i shouldn't have to figure out if the actual Scart for the Amiga has, should i?
B!
Old 15 February 2011, 13:27   #19
Mr B

Well, at this point, i tried everything LG's support could come up with. No go.
I can see the Workbench desktop flash past at random intervals, every couple of seconds or less. LG blames it on to old, and hence unsupported hardware. They also tell me the darn thing doesn't support NTSC, at all.
So, i guess the next step is a scandoubler? What is the chance it would work? I'm looking to get the ACA 1230/28 Accelerator and what ever it takes to get the TV showing the Amigas output. It's starting to be costly, but what don't you do to cover your retro needs. I'm thinking of something like Indivision AGA 1200 Scandoubler/Flicker Fixer. Sadly, my TV doesn't have a VGA input. It's my understanding this unit requires one, and the best i got is a DVI labled HDMI port... Am i screwed?
B!
Old 15 February 2011, 19:10   #20
pandy71

Set Game mode - it should turnoff all video processing (to reduce latency and to not destroy picture by deinterlace on progressive display.)
Accordingly to specification http://www.lg.com/no/tv-audio-video/...v-42LX650N.jsp there is chance to use YPbPr input - usually TV on YPbPr accept both SD and ED modes (15kHz and 31kHz). Check this by some RGB to YPbPr converter. Also seems that VGA input is available.