English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 25 September 2006, 09:21   #1
rebelli0n

Psygnosis Questions

Hi Everyone,

I'm new to the board, but certainly not new to the amiga, a long time user since '88, i was also active in the demoscene from about '92 - '95 (maniacs, dualformat and neo at various times)

After an age of just reading the board i decided to join in, spurred on by a project i'm doing at the moment

I'm currently working on a video series to be given away free on the net focusing on Psygnosis and their games.

In effect, each episode is to focus on a year of output (apart from the first, which condenses 1985 [brataccus], 1986 [deep space, Arena] and 1987 [Barbarian, terrorpods], into one block.) naturally it's going to be very amiga centric.

Although i've done a lot of research and resource gathering (I think i now own every released amiga psygnosis game), theres still some things i don't know or can't find.

which brings me to my question...

Does anyone remember, or have the Psygnosis game from 1986 called 'Arena'?, more specifically the box art. At present i only have the floppy discs, and no box. I think i read on this board that it came in a white box, rather than the traditional psygnosis black box, but i've never been able to find a boxed version, or even a scan of the box art online.

Does anyone know where i can find a scan? Alternatively if anyone has the original box they could scan, i would be most greatful. (and would of course give credit in the video). failing that, any information on it would be handy.

also, i'm keen to stress that I'm not just appearing on here to gather infomation for my personal project, i'm keen on generally chatting on the board.

Oh finally i should add, if there's anyone who actually worked for psygnosis, or one of the developers that were published by psygnosis (and i'm pretty sure i've spotted a few musicans on here), i'd be very keen to hear any information you'd be happy to share with me

Thanks

Reb.

Last edited by rebelli0n; 25 September 2006 at 09:35.
Old 25 September 2006, 12:25   #2
Belgarath
HOL Team Member

Hi there, I've put scans of Arena in the zone for you (read the faq on how to access the zone). These scans are actually of the ST version but the only thing denoting it as the ST version is a little sticker in the top right corner.

If I remember rightly I got this from Stefan Lindberg so the thanks must go to him.
Old 25 September 2006, 13:14   #3
rebelli0n

Thanks Belgarath, very much appreciated.

I was quite surprised at how different they are to the usual box style. Strikes me as an abortive attempt to create a 'psygnosis family entertainment series'.

Thanks again, credit will be given to Stefan.
Old 25 September 2006, 20:19   #4
Stefan Lindberg
Zone Friend

Hehe... i was just looking at my old Arena scans the other day when i found them going thru my old backupfiles... really special box not in traditional Psygnosis style and just to open the box is an IQ test, the edges are ripped by people trying to open it the (what they thought)proper way :-)

I still have the box if anymore pics is needed?

Old 26 September 2006, 09:37   #5
rebelli0n

The plan is to create a 3d model of the box in lightwave and texture on the scans, like this...

so i think front and back should be enough. Is there anything on the top/sides?

usually they had the psygnosis logo on one side and the Game logo on the other.

In anycase, The pic you've posted there is helpful , as i see it's a special folding type of box, rather than the usual 2 piece. so i'll adjust the model accordingly, and maybe show it opening up. is that a special Psygnosis badge in there too?

Thanks again, I was beginning to think i would just have to have a blank box with a ? on it at one point
Old 26 September 2006, 10:11   #6
rebelli0n

Another question, This time about Barbarian,

Infact if any moderator could change the title of this thread to 'Psygnosis Questions' or something, that would be helpful, as i think i've generally got Arena covered now thanks to Stefan, and i don't want to clutter the forum up with loads of little psygnosis threads

Anyway,

Does anyone remember if Barbarian Came with a T-shirt ala shadow of the beast? My copies (ST/Amiga) don't, but I got them from ebay in a used condition. Barbarian seems like enough of a major title to maybe warrent the Psygnosis T-shirt 'freebie'.

Sadly my first Psygnosis/psyclapse game back in the day was Menace, and i never saw Barbarian in original full release form.
Old 26 September 2006, 10:23   #7
killergorilla
Lesser Talent

I had the original of Barbarian and no it didn't come with a T-Shirt

EDIT: I do believe it came with a poster that had a picture of the dinosaur loading screen though.
Old 26 September 2006, 11:26   #8
Paul
RIP Friends

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebelli0n
Infact if any moderator could change the title of this thread to 'Psygnosis Questions'...
Thread renamed And Welcome to EAB
Old 28 September 2006, 21:10   #9
rebelli0n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul
Thread renamed And Welcome to EAB
Thanks

I've almost finished the first 'episode' of my little project, just finishing off 'terrorpods' atm, theres a confusing game... especially if you got it with the 10star pack like me, it didn't come with the proper instructions! No chance of getting anywhere in it with out those.

I'm preparing to gather the footage for the 2nd ep (1988), and i've come into a bit of a problem with Captain Fizz meets the Blastertrons. My original version simply doens't work at all anymore, i suspect the disks have simply decayed.

I've tried downloading all the .ADF versions i can find on the net and they all seem to get to the introscreen with the picture and music but when you press a key/button to get past it, nothing loads past that point.

Is there a known working version of Captain Fizz ?
Old 29 September 2006, 22:54   #10
Ray Norrish

Unfortunately, the music player had a self destruct mechanism built in on account of how insanely rubbish it was. All disks corrupted themselves after being played for >5 minutes because of potential brain damage / law suits, so it's going to be quite difficult to find a working version.
Old 29 September 2006, 23:33   #11
killergorilla
Lesser Talent

There is an SPS version
Old 01 October 2006, 16:52   #12
Antiriad
The Sacred Armour Of

Where's ol FromWithin when you need him? Anyway, I very much look forward to seeing this come to fruition!
Old 01 October 2006, 19:37   #13
FromWithin
Music lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antiriad
Where's ol FromWithin when you need him? Anyway, I very much look forward to seeing this come to fruition!
In Japan.
Old 01 October 2006, 21:50   #14
guru64
Oldskool God

http://hol.abime.net/search.php?N_ref_publisher=487

a list of Psygnosis Games at the Hall of Light - Amiga games database

Do you have a webpage where you announce the progress or release date of this video production. I'm looking forward to watching it!

good luck!
Old 02 October 2006, 00:56   #15
blade002
Zone Friend

I shouldnt have sold my Original Copy of Awesome. It came with a T-Shirt and a lovely big rectangular box. Silly me

The game also cost me $85 Australian at the time too.. But it was worth it
Old 11 October 2006, 03:47   #16
rebelli0n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Norrish
Unfortunately, the music player had a self destruct mechanism built in on account of how insanely rubbish it was. All disks corrupted themselves after being played for >5 minutes because of potential brain damage / law suits, so it's going to be quite difficult to find a working version.
I'm glad someone who worked on the game has elaborated on it.

Could I ask what happened there in a little more detail? Did the disks really self-corrupt after a few minutes of play? I've only ever personally been able to get to the title screen, with your music. I ask because if i can't find a working version, i'll have to elaborate why. Maybe this was why the developers only did one game with psygnosis , It was coded by papyrus of indy500 fame if i recall (although that might be a different papyrus).

GURU 64: I do have a website to host and announce the project, www.psyoptic.co.uk which currently only hosts the cg intro (done in the style of an early 90s psygnosis intro). Once the first episode is done, there will be a site there too with extra info on the games , and news/updates on the progress of episodes, which i'm hoping will be fortnightly released once it's up and running.

Typically, just as i'm almost done, i'm having problems with my current host. I may find i have to move it or buy some other hosting to actually carry the files. So the site may just vanish for a few days, whilst nameserver/DNS stuff sorts out.
Old 11 October 2006, 10:37   #17
killergorilla
Lesser Talent

As I already said... there is a working SPS version.
Old 11 October 2006, 17:33   #18
rebelli0n

Quote:
Originally Posted by killergorilla
As I already said... there is a working SPS version.
As far as i know the SPS doesn't give out copies of the games it has archived unless you are the copyright holder or involved in the games development. So the working version is beyond my reach.

Last edited by rebelli0n; 11 October 2006 at 17:39.