English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Nostalgia & memories

Old 23 March 2021, 13:51   #21
Fiery Phoenix

They may not have developed it (publishers I think) but Heart of China is awesome. Loved the graphics at the time, storyline and characters are great - multiple endings / paths - one of my all time faves

Rise of the Dragon also

Just not sure if they are classed as Sierra games though?
Old 23 March 2021, 14:04   #22
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

They're not in the list linked to in the first post.
Old 23 March 2021, 14:20   #23
nivam

They are listed as Dynamix. Who can forget Willy Beamish...

https://www.lemonamiga.com/games/lis...list_spectrum=
Old 23 March 2021, 15:34   #24
alkis21
Zone Friend

Send a message via MSN to alkis21
My favorite Sierra adventure game was Gabriel Knight: Sins of the Fathers, which of course was never released on the Amiga.

Out of the ones that were, I choose Leisure Suit Larry 3: Passionate Patti in Pursuit of the Pulsating Pectorals.
Old 23 March 2021, 16:05   #25
Pyromania

Can I say none? These were mostly PC ports. I heard some of the storylines were cool.
Old 23 March 2021, 16:44   #26
nivam

What’s the problem being PC ports those days. Their stories were unique and good fun.
Old 23 March 2021, 17:16   #27
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

In fact I'd rather play the Amiga version of SQ3 and PQ2 than the PC version, even if it requires disk swapping and longer loading times. The games are pretty silent but the Amiga version just has that little extra with sounds and music. Even the very first games with bleepy sounds I think the Amiga version is slightly less crappy to listen to.
Old 23 March 2021, 17:23   #28
endre1952

The intended sound device for PC versions of Sierra games was the Roland MT-32 sound module, which used digital samples in ROM. The AdLib versions were converted from the Roland MT-32 version. You might consider the Amiga sound better, but the Amiga samples were likely recorded from the MT-32 version in most cases. For a very long time, the MT-32 was not emulated properly, but now there is Munt, which sounds pretty accurate.
Old 23 March 2021, 17:44   #29
dreadnought

Quote:
Originally Posted by gimbal View Post
In fact I'd rather play the Amiga version of SQ3 and PQ2 than the PC version, even if it requires disk swapping and longer loading times. The games are pretty silent but the Amiga version just has that little extra with sounds and music. Even the very first games with bleepy sounds I think the Amiga version is slightly less crappy to listen to.
Well, I did say "the latter games" SQ4, KQ 5/6 have 7+ disks to juggle, and are also slow as molasses (or were on my A500). It's just not fun, I gave up on KQ 5 even back then.

The other thing is the aspect ratio: unless you run NTSC versions (?), or force it, they will end up squished. I think it applies to at least some of them. It did not bother me then but it does now. In adventure games it's somehow more annoying than in action ones.
Old 24 March 2021, 00:20   #30
grelbfarlk

The thing I liked about the Sierra games is all of them supported installing to the HDD.
Also several of the Amiga versions also support MT-32.
Hero's quest and Quest for Glory 2 were my favorites.
It really miffed me that we never got 256 color AGA versions of the VGA games, but at least I can play them on ScummVM/Dosbox on my Amigas now.
Old 24 March 2021, 01:25   #31
lesta_smsc

Speaking of Sierra Games - there a nice fan-made remake of King's Quest and surprisingly it is better than the Sierra's official remake lol.
Old 24 March 2021, 07:47   #32
nivam

Quote:
Originally Posted by lesta_smsc View Post
Speaking of Sierra Games - there a nice fan-made remake of King's Quest and surprisingly it is better than the Sierra's official remake lol.
Which one you are referring to? Do you have a link?
Old 24 March 2021, 08:13   #33
manossg

There are actually 4 remakes of the KQ games, 1-3 by AGDI and 3 was remade by Infamous Adventures as well (they also remade -excellently- SQ2).

I have reviewed the first 2 KQ remakes, so you can see if you like these or not.

[ Show youtube player ]
[ Show youtube player ]
Old 24 March 2021, 08:46   #34
nivam

Thank you, I will check them as soon as I get back from work
Old 24 March 2021, 16:50   #35
saimon69
J.M.D - Bedroom Musician

Quote:
Originally Posted by alkis21 View Post
My favorite Sierra adventure game was Gabriel Knight: Sins of the Fathers, which of course was never released on the Amiga.
Ironically, they were, according to the making-of movie, using several amiga-origined tools like Dpaint (DOS version) for the facial animations on the dialog.
(or at least i was pretty sure i seen it used for the lip syncing frames especially for the character of Dr. John - mandela effect?)

Movie is in bad quality because was in the CD-ROM and optimized for single speed, hence a 160px -_-
[ Show youtube player ]

Last edited by saimon69; 24 March 2021 at 17:31.
Old 25 March 2021, 09:12   #36
Macca
Zone Friend

I really enjoyed the Mahunter games - not the actual games themselves more the story. It would have been nice if they had finished off the series rather than leaving it at two games. Boxart was good as was the manual as well.

M.
Old 25 March 2021, 11:02   #37
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by saimon69 View Post
Ironically, they were, according to the making-of movie, using several amiga-origined tools like Dpaint (DOS version) for the facial animations on the dialog.
There is no irony in there at all, DPaint was used for many games so artists were very familiar with the tool. It would be no wonder they kept using it as long as they could.
Old 04 April 2021, 14:10   #38
Twiggy
\m/

Leisure Suit Larry 1 for the nostalgia. Colonel's Bequest for the story and atmosphere etc. Wish it had MT-32 support on the Amiga though!
Old 04 April 2021, 19:40   #39
grelbfarlk

You might find you can use MT32 support in an Amiga Sierra game by copying the MT-32 driver from a different game of the same era and adjusting the config file. When I was playing with this with a null cable to PC running Munt it worked on a couple Amiga games which didn't have the MT32 driver
Old 04 April 2021, 20:11   #40
dreadnought

One big criticism agains Sierra games was always the fact that you could die, sometimes a lot. I must admit that it has never bothered me that much, since I'm used to the Save Often mantra from RPGs. If there is one thing I really hate about adventure games (even more than pixel hunting), it's the "dead end" scenarios, where you can do something which will basically make the game unwinnable. To add insult to injury, in most cases you won't even know that this has happened, so you might waste heaps of time and nerves by looking for a solution which is at this point nonexistent.

Are you aware of any instances of this evil design trope in Sierra's games? I'm aiming to finally play many of those I've never had, and wouldn't mind being forewarned.