English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > News

Old 20 February 2022, 21:27   #1021
desiv

This is really more of an ACATUNE question, but I think related to 3.2...

I am setting up a clean 3.2 install on my AmigaForever, and planning on transferring it to my CF card on my 1200...
I have an ACA1230/28 in my 1200.
I am currently using the MAPROM functionality of my ACA.
I am hoping to use that again to load the new 3.2 ROM from the file provided (kicka1200.rom) by AmigaOS3.2.
First line in Startup-sequence of:
c:acatune dh0:kicka1200.rom
When I just tried that, I got into a reboot loop.

Now, I know my Amigaforever doesn't have an ACA card in it. ;-)
Do you think the boot loop is because I am using emulation or is it something to do with the use of acatune to try to maprom from a file with AmigaOS3.2?
Or is that kicka1200.rom not the right format?

Not critical (I do think I have what I need to burn a couple of ROM files), but I just like the flexibility of softkicking the ROM for updates and such...

Thanx
Old 20 February 2022, 22:29   #1022
CDTV1991

I have the same accelerator in my A1200, so would be keen to learn how to get 3.2 working on it too
Old 20 February 2022, 23:30   #1023
bubbob42

Use 3.2.1 ROM with ACAs (V47.102).

The .rom-file is the correct one for both MapROM and emulators.
Old 21 February 2022, 04:17   #1024
dankcomputing

Is there an official, or "canonical" 1MB A4000 Kickstart 3.2.1 ROM? Would that eliminate the reboot on cold boot? Was thinking of upgrading, but I figured I might as well take the plunge of doing the Romy upgrade while I have my machine open.

Last edited by dankcomputing; 21 February 2022 at 04:23.
Old 21 February 2022, 08:17   #1025
AMIGASYSTEM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMIGASYSTEM View Post
On my OS 3.2/3.2.1 with RTG Screen, NewMeter seems to change the system colors, if someone wants to do some tests to confirm, thanks.

After running NewMeter, if you run the system application "Palette" (it happens with other applications too) you will notice that the text on the window will change color each time you run Plalette.

I specify that with OS 3.9 the problem doesn't exist, everything works regularly.

Has anyone encountered this problem?
Old 21 February 2022, 08:25   #1026
jbenam
Italian Amiga Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by dankcomputing View Post
Is there an official, or "canonical" 1MB A4000 Kickstart 3.2.1 ROM? Would that eliminate the reboot on cold boot? Was thinking of upgrading, but I figured I might as well take the plunge of doing the Romy upgrade while I have my machine open.
The AmigaOS Team prefers to stick to 512KB ROMs as Commodore originally intended. As such there is an official 3.2.1 ROM available which gets rid of the reboots (and I am using it myself for the same reasons) but it's just a 512KB one. It's included in the 3.2.1 update archive.

Honestly I haven't found a reason yet to bother with a 1MB ROM with 3.2 yet.

I have looked around but I have yet to find truly useful modules to add to what's already there. I will probably burn a 3.2.1 ROM with AtapiMagic included and that's it (which still fits 512KB).
Old 21 February 2022, 09:58   #1027
QkiZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by desiv View Post
Do you think the boot loop is because I am using emulation or is it something to do with the use of acatune to try to maprom from a file with AmigaOS3.2?
Ofcourse it's by emulation. ACA cards have special memory designed for maprom function. Any UAE doesn't emulate this kind of memory. Acatune doesn't see mapped ROM that's why it's boot looping.
I have same issue on emulation when I used my CF on pc. Just comment out acatune line in S-S.
Old 21 February 2022, 13:36   #1028
Paulthetall

I have the Amiga OS 3.2 (and upgrade to 3.2.1) on my Amiga 1200. I was hoping to have the scroll wheel function, but unfortunately it doesn't work. Also selected scroll wheel select box in the input settings in Workbench. I have a Mouse of Amikit with the mouse connector with scroll wheel. I have 2 of them and both have the same issue.

How can I fix it? Is it a known issue?
Old 21 February 2022, 13:42   #1029
indigolemon
Bit Copying Bard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulthetall View Post
I have the Amiga OS 3.2 (and upgrade to 3.2.1) on my Amiga 1200. I was hoping to have the scroll wheel function, but unfortunately it doesn't work. Also selected scroll wheel select box in the input settings in Workbench. I have a Mouse of Amikit with the mouse connector with scroll wheel. I have 2 of them and both have the same issue.

How can I fix it? Is it a known issue?
The scroll wheel stuff in the OS listens for scroll wheel events, but you still need a driver to generate these events for the operating system to react to.

I'm sure someone posted a link to the AmigaKit mouse driver further back this thread.
Old 21 February 2022, 19:18   #1030
desiv

Quote:
Originally Posted by QkiZ View Post
ACA cards have special memory designed for maprom function. Any UAE doesn't emulate this kind of memory. Acatune doesn't see mapped ROM that's why it's boot looping.
I have same issue on emulation when I used my CF on pc. Just comment out acatune line in S-S.
Yeah, that was what I was thinking. I was inititally wondering if ACATUNE might recognize that there was no ACA card and not try to do anything when run in an emulated Amiga, but looks like it tries to run and reboots.
I was hoping to avoid having to comment out that line, and it looks like this thread has a pretty nice solution:
https://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=67320
It looks for the existence of uaehf.device, which should only happen when running in UAE.
Haven't tried it yet on my real A1200, but it does keep it from running on my emulated system.

Thanx.
Old 22 February 2022, 02:03   #1031
desiv

OK, just a follow up on where I am with my 3.2 install and ACATune.
Short story, it works.
I used the above link to check for UAE, and if not there it runs ACATUNE; and it works...
I did run into a funny glitch that made me think it wasn't working.
When I first did it, I was getting a weird error and the screen wasn't going into my chosen resolution.
It was giving me an error about something not letting Intuition reset the screen and I needed to close NULL...
Which didn't help. NULL?
I knew this CF card worked in WinUAE straight...
So I decided to start by removing the things I added to WBStartup.
When I removed them all, it worked! YAY!

So I started adding them back one at a time. And then I found the culprit.
Amidock.

For some reason, having Amidock in my WBStartup would generate that error.
And it DIDN'T do that in WinUAE...
I am guessing something about timing.

I don't see any tooltypes (like DELAY=5) so I don't think there is much I can do there.

I'll probably look into a different DOCK app.

I also setup MiamiDX and AWeb and that works. (Using an Etherlink III PCMCIA card).
Then I tried ATC (AmiTradeCenter and it crashes... Some memory error...).
That is what I was using on my older 3.1 install, but not sure if it was the same version...
I loaded AmiFTP and (once I added reqtools.library) that works...
Then I loaded NetparLPR and did a print from FinalWrite to my LaserPrinter and that works...
So, making progress...
Nice to have a "new" OS on my A1200... ;-)
Old 22 February 2022, 09:15   #1032
QkiZ

Quote:
It looks for the existence of uaehf.device, which should only happen when running in UAE.
Hmm... Simple if statement should do the job. For example, if you can check version of uaehf.device skip acatune command. Else execute it.
Old 22 February 2022, 17:08   #1033
desiv

Quote:
Originally Posted by QkiZ View Post
Hmm... Simple if statement should do the job. For example, if you can check version of uaehf.device skip acatune command. Else execute it.
Yep, that is exactly what it is.
It's in the other thread if anyone wants a longer read, but basically it's this:
FailAt 200
C:Version >NIL: uaehf.device 1
IF WARN
C:ACATune -maprom DH0:kicka1200.rom >NIL:
EndIF

Works fine...

I am still having some quirky issues with changing resolutions...
I can't do it live... The OS keeps trying to close something (doesn't tell me what) but can't. If I click save, it fails to change it, but does save it and I get the new resolution on a reboot.
Not sure if that is also something else I added with WBStartup conflicting... I'll have to do some more testing.
Old 22 February 2022, 20:05   #1034
QkiZ

Quote:
I'll probably look into a different DOCK app.
I'm using this one
http://aminet.net/package/util/wb/DockBot
It's small, has plugins, and it's open source.
Old 23 February 2022, 04:11   #1035
desiv

Quote:
I am still having some quirky issues with changing resolutions...
Found the issue there...
It's NewMeter...
If I run it, I can't change resolutions.
No biggie as there are other options, and it is good to know what the issue was.
Interesting...
I loaded up DockBot... Looks nice...
But when it is running, I can't change my resolutions.
So it looks like if I launch almost any program that sits on the WB screen (At least the ones that launch from WBStartup), I can't change my resolution.
Just tried closing DocBot and it still wouldn't let me reset it, although that could be because I had already tried earlier and got the error.
Yeah, that was probably it. I just rebooted and closed DockBot first and then tried to change my resolution and it worked.
And I can do it if I "Iconify" Dockbot. Just rebooted and then Iconified DockBot and was able to change resolutions.
Interesting. (Might be how it always worked, I didn't do too much with WB gadgets before...)

I did have a funny "glitch."
I finally did my 3.2.1 update last night, and I thought that went well, but didn't do much testing...
Well, today, I fire up the machine, and try to load MiamiDX and it won't load. Problem with loading MUI..
Hmmm...
MUI seems fine...
Did some more checking, and ...
No Fast RAM... ??
What?

Then I check my S:Startup-Sequence, and no ACATune...
Apparently the upgrade overwrote it...
So I retyped that part in and rebooted and I have my RAM back!!!
And THEN I notice a new folder called OLD on my System, with my old Startup-sequence.
:-)
I am sure that was documented in something I was supposed to read. Operator error there. ;-)

Last edited by desiv; 23 February 2022 at 04:41.
Old 23 February 2022, 10:15   #1036
QkiZ

Quote:
Found the issue there...
It's NewMeter...
If I run it, I can't change resolutions.
No biggie as there are other options, and it is good to know what the issue was.
Interesting...
I loaded up DockBot... Looks nice...
But when it is running, I can't change my resolutions.
So it looks like if I launch almost any program that sits on the WB screen (At least the ones that launch from WBStartup), I can't change my resolution.
Just tried closing DocBot and it still wouldn't let me reset it, although that could be because I had already tried earlier and got the error.
Yeah, that was probably it. I just rebooted and closed DockBot first and then tried to change my resolution and it worked.
And I can do it if I "Iconify" Dockbot. Just rebooted and then Iconified DockBot and was able to change resolutions.
Interesting. (Might be how it always worked, I didn't do too much with WB gadgets before...)

I did have a funny "glitch."
I finally did my 3.2.1 update last night, and I thought that went well, but didn't do much testing...
Well, today, I fire up the machine, and try to load MiamiDX and it won't load. Problem with loading MUI..
Hmmm...
MUI seems fine...
Did some more checking, and ...
No Fast RAM... ??
What?

Then I check my S:Startup-Sequence, and no ACATune...
Apparently the upgrade overwrote it...
So I retyped that part in and rebooted and I have my RAM back!!!
And THEN I notice a new folder called OLD on my System, with my old Startup-sequence.
I am sure that was documented in something I was supposed to read. Operator error there. ;-)
You can't change the resolution of WB if some window is opened, other than directories. Even the shell window will block you from changing resolution. This "defect" is since AmigaOS2.0 I think. How often do you change the resolution?
Every system update will replace S-S. I think that the installer of 3.2.1 should inform you about that. So you need to readd your commands to S-S after update.
Old 23 February 2022, 11:29   #1037
desiv

Yep, that's basically what I said.
Thanx for reemphasizing my mistakes.
I was just stating them in case someone else might get the same things wrong in the future.

My bad tho, I can see that isn't needed.
I'm out then. Thanx again.
Old 23 February 2022, 17:22   #1038
Swe_Kryten2x4b

Quote:
Yep, that's basically what I said.
Thanx for reemphasizing my mistakes.
I was just stating them in case someone else might get the same things wrong in the future.

My bad tho, I can see that isn't needed.
I'm out then. Thanx again.
For some third-party apps the problem goes away if you have the screennotify library installed.
Old 17 April 2022, 07:15   #1039
wiser3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael View Post
Don't worry, 3.2 eggs do not waist valuable ram, take rom space or even use any harddrive space. How could that be? Well, only time will show...

So this easter egg has reportedly been found.
https://www.amiga-news.de/en/news/AN...-00060-EN.html

Could someone explain the procedure to see it in English and show a screen shot?
Old 17 April 2022, 08:10   #1040
jbenam
Italian Amiga Zealot

Well, it looks like I was right (a file on one of the floppies), I just never bothered to check the update disk as I thought the Easter Egg was present in the base OS3.2