English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 08 June 2021, 22:26   #1
Jolabandola

OS 3.2 pcmcia problems

I gave up getting 3.2 working on my Furia 600 for now. Instead i picked one of my other A600 and thought i`d try installing it on that.
I installed the kickstartchip and did a floppy install over 3.1.4.

Everything was working fine until i tried to install my pcmcia cardreader from AmigaKit. Install went along but after rebooting and inserting the adapter nothing happens. It was working fine on 3.1.4 as well as on all my other Amigas.
CF0 is in Devs Dosdrivers and FAT95 is installed. If i double click the CF0 icon it says its already mounted. What could be wrong?
Old 08 June 2021, 22:46   #2
thomas

What happens if you open a Shell window and enter CD CF0: ?

Does PrepCard recognise the reader (it will say it's not usable, but it should display the vendor and device IDs).
Old 08 June 2021, 23:07   #3
Jolabandola

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomas View Post
What happens if you open a Shell window and enter CD CF0: ?

Does PrepCard recognise the reader (it will say it's not usable, but it should display the vendor and device IDs).

In shell cd CF0: says BAD NUMBER
Prepcard says No card slot
Old 11 June 2021, 15:17   #4
Jolabandola

Solved. Solution was to format DH0: and do a clean install. Even then it didnt work as it should. No card unless i typed cd CF0: in a shell and waited a few minutes so i formatted and installed again and now suddenly it works. Very strange but Amiga computers can be very strange sometimes.
Old 16 June 2021, 11:43   #5
kiFla

Same problem here. New Kickstart ROM 3.2, formatted DH0: installed OS3.2, no go for PCMCIA. PCMCIA works only if I disabled 4Mb od fast memory on FURIA (crtl+A+A) for 3 sec... (Had to reboot many times before I can disable memory with Kickstart 3.2 ROM, that is also problematic)
PCMCIA works normally (PCMCIA friendly) in WB 3.1 and 3.1.4 with all 8Mb memory enabled and additionally 1.5Mb.

Same problem if I upgrade from 3.1.4, PCMCIA stops working with all memory available.

I use CF PCMCIA adapter for transferring files and LinkSys WIFI PCMCIA for Internet access.

Last edited by kiFla; 16 June 2021 at 11:53.
Old 16 June 2021, 12:08   #6
Daedalus

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiFla View Post
New Kickstart ROM 3.2, formatted DH0: installed OS3.2, no go for PCMCIA. PCMCIA works only if I disabled 4Mb od fast memory on FURIA (crtl+A+A) for 3 sec... (Had to reboot many times before I can disable memory with Kickstart 3.2 ROM, that is also problematic)
PCMCIA works normally (PCMCIA friendly) in WB 3.1 and 3.1.4 with all 8Mb memory enabled and additionally 1.5Mb.

Same problem if I upgrade from 3.1.4, PCMCIA stops working with all memory available.
Sounds like it's the classic 4MB PCMCIA clash: http://eab.abime.net/showpost.php?p=...&postcount=566

3.1 should have the same behaviour in that case - PCMCIA cards shouldn't work with Kickstart 3.1 either if there are 8MB of RAM active in the Z-II region - is your Kickstart 3.1 patched to work around that? 3.1.4 included a work-around that allowed PCMCIA and 8MB to work together, but in some cases this had nasty side-effects, so it was removed again for 3.2.
Old 16 June 2021, 14:26   #7
kiFla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daedalus View Post
Sounds like it's the classic 4MB PCMCIA clash: http://eab.abime.net/showpost.php?p=...&postcount=566

3.1 should have the same behaviour in that case - PCMCIA cards shouldn't work with Kickstart 3.1 either if there are 8MB of RAM active in the Z-II region - is your Kickstart 3.1 patched to work around that? 3.1.4 included a work-around that allowed PCMCIA and 8MB to work together, but in some cases this had nasty side-effects, so it was removed again for 3.2.
Furia 600 for A600 is stated as PCMCIA Friendly, so I didn't do anything to patch to work with Kickstart 3.1 IIRC...

I have 3.1.4 Kickstart ROM in Amiga with 3.1.4 WB. PCMCIA works flawlessly with Furia 600 and all 9.5Mb RAM.

I put burned Kickstart 3.2 ROM in Amiga and clean install 3.2. PCMCIA no longer works with PCMCIA and 9.5 Mb RAM.

So, workaround is removed from 3.2. So is there any way to enable it again? With some kind of patch?

OS 3.2 is great, but this feature is very important to me.

Last edited by kiFla; 16 June 2021 at 14:33.
Old 16 June 2021, 16:39   #8
Daedalus

Interesting - maybe the detection scheme has changed from 3.1 to 3.2 and the Furia triggers it where it didn't before. You can probably patch in an older card.resource from 3.0 or 3.1.4 to get it working again - people have done that in the past to get it working on 3.1.
Old 16 June 2021, 16:56   #9
Jolabandola

Quote:
Furia 600 for A600 is stated as PCMCIA Friendly, so I didn't do anything to patch to work with Kickstart 3.1 IIRC...

I have 3.1.4 Kickstart ROM in Amiga with 3.1.4 WB. PCMCIA works flawlessly with Furia 600 and all 9.5Mb RAM.

I put burned Kickstart 3.2 ROM in Amiga and clean install 3.2. PCMCIA no longer works with PCMCIA and 9.5 Mb RAM.

So, workaround is removed from 3.2. So is there any way to enable it again? With some kind of patch?

Isnt there a way to get the Furia pcmcia friendly by pressning and holding down ctrl+A+A for three seconds?
I never got my Furia 600 working at all. All i get is a black screen. With 3.1.4 everything just works. Sucks!
Old 16 June 2021, 17:47   #10
bubbob42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jolabandola View Post
Isnt there a way to get the Furia pcmcia friendly by pressning and holding down ctrl+A+A for three seconds?
I never got my Furia 600 working at all. All i get is a black screen. With 3.1.4 everything just works. Sucks!
As we already told you in another thread: The Furia works when using 3.1 or 3.1.4 ROMs and "LoadModuling" everything from 3.2, except for the new scsi.device, which seems to be incompatible with the Furia.

Of course this should only be an interim solution, but nevertheless.
Old 16 June 2021, 20:05   #11
kiFla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jolabandola View Post
Yes, but that way I have only 4Mb RAM, which also sucks.
Old 16 June 2021, 20:11   #12
kiFla

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbob42 View Post
As we already told you in another thread: The Furia works when using 3.1 or 3.1.4 ROMs and "LoadModuling" everything from 3.2, except for the new scsi.device, which seems to be incompatible with the Furia.

Of course this should only be an interim solution, but nevertheless.
Black screen, maybe Furia Firmware revision again?
I had no problems with any kind of black screen, not in 3.1.4 previously, not 3.2 despite I have burned Kickstart 3.2 in A600. Overall works great with OS 3.2 except this PCMCIA issue.
Old 16 June 2021, 20:20   #13
bubbob42

PCMCIA in 3.2 will behave exactly like it did in 3.1.
Old 08 August 2021, 16:15   #14
FranciscoJr

Hello,

The workaround for this, at the moment, is use the card.resource V45 from ROM 3.1.4
The new card.resource V47 from rom 3.2 is causing the problem.
Old 08 August 2021, 22:49   #15
FranciscoJr

Quote:

Hello,
What I found and modify in my A600 Furia setup....

The workaround for this, at the moment, is to use the card.resource V45 from ROM 3.1.4
The new card.resource V47 from 3.2 ROM is causing the problem. For this, You must keep the 3.1.4 ROM in A600 and install the OS 3.2 over it. After completed the 3.2 installation, just rename the card.resource or delete it from Libs/resources. Loadmodule will look for it on boot, and as you renamed it, it will use the version 45 from the 3.1.4 ROM. This way you can use the PCMCIA with all the 9.5MB ram from Furia card with no problems. do not use SHADOWROM in furiatune, but use the LoadModule command with the
NOMEMFKICK switch in your startup-sequence. this way all 3.2 modules will be in 32bit RAM.
Old 15 September 2021, 20:11   #16
amigappc

This is rather OK solution.
However, I wonder is there a way to change 3.2 rom and replace its card.resource with older card.resource V45 from 3.1.4 rom and burn it to chip that way?

Did anyone contacted Hyperion about this? Is there a way to get version of 3.2 rom where this is fixed?

I read on many places that 3.1.4 card resource caused some nasty things, but nowhere what those things were?

I do not see any point in memory protection for LAN cards which are primary used in PCMCIA ports on A600 and A1200 these days. Who uses PCMCIA ram these days anyway?

Quote:
Originally Posted by FranciscoJr View Post
Hello,
What I found and modify in my A600 Furia setup....

The workaround for this, at the moment, is to use the card.resource V45 from ROM 3.1.4
The new card.resource V47 from 3.2 ROM is causing the problem. For this, You must keep the 3.1.4 ROM in A600 and install the OS 3.2 over it. After completed the 3.2 installation, just rename the card.resource or delete it from Libs/resources. Loadmodule will look for it on boot, and as you renamed it, it will use the version 45 from the 3.1.4 ROM. This way you can use the PCMCIA with all the 9.5MB ram from Furia card with no problems. do not use SHADOWROM in furiatune, but use the LoadModule command with the
NOMEMFKICK switch in your startup-sequence. this way all 3.2 modules will be in 32bit RAM.
Old 15 September 2021, 21:32   #17
Daedalus

Quote:
Originally Posted by amigappc View Post
This is rather OK solution.
However, I wonder is there a way to change 3.2 rom and replace its card.resource with older card.resource V45 from 3.1.4 rom and burn it to chip that way?
Yep, it's not that difficult to use Remus to create a custom ROM using the 3.1.4 module instead.

Quote:
Did anyone contacted Hyperion about this? Is there a way to get version of 3.2 rom where this is fixed?
3.2 is fixed, and is working as intended by the developers.

Quote:
I read on many places that 3.1.4 card resource caused some nasty things, but nowhere what those things were?
It's been mentioned in many places, both in 3.1.4 threads where people had problems, and in 3.2 threads where the issue was explained. Basically, it stops IDE working in some cases, so machines wouldn't boot. Which is a pretty fundamental problem for those users. 3.2 fixes this by returning to the 3.1 behaviour.

Quote:
I do not see any point in memory protection for LAN cards which are primary used in PCMCIA ports on A600 and A1200 these days. Who uses PCMCIA ram these days anyway?
It's not a memory protection thing as such, but just because not many people use it isn't a reason to stop supporting it at all.
Old 19 September 2021, 02:55   #18
FranciscoJr

Hello,

What I´ve done recently. Just modified the original 3.2 ROM with Remus, and changed the card.resource V47 for the V45 version, and then burned the new custom 3.2 ROM. It is working fine as an original 3.2 Amiga 600 ROM.
One single boot with OS 3.2 custom ROM and working fine with all the 9.5mb Ram from Furia amiga 600 accelerator and PCMCIA together, with no issues at all.

Francisco
Old 19 September 2021, 08:20   #19
amigappc

What firmware is on your Furia?

I sent you P.M. with some questions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FranciscoJr View Post
Hello,

What I´ve done recently. Just modified the original 3.2 ROM with Remus, and changed the card.resource V47 for the V45 version, and then burned the new custom 3.2 ROM. It is working fine as an original 3.2 Amiga 600 ROM.
One single boot with OS 3.2 custom ROM and working fine with all the 9.5mb Ram from Furia amiga 600 accelerator and PCMCIA together, with no issues at all.

Francisco
Old 19 September 2021, 17:03   #20
FranciscoJr

Quote:
Originally Posted by amigappc View Post
What firmware is on your Furia?

I sent you P.M. with some questions.
Hello,
Right now I am out of my town. Next week will return home and i will try to make and post a video showing all the system working. I own two Amigas (600) with Furia accelerator installed. One with Furia 68020 40MHZ firmware V12 and the other with the latest firmware V13, Furia 68020 33MHZ. Burned two custom 3.2 ROM and using without problems on the two machines. Using also PCMCIA internet cards attached on both and working fine with ROADSHOW and the 9.5MB RAM installed and working.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yPg...ew?usp=sharing

More pictures: with physical 3.2 Custom ROM and 9.5 RAM from Furia accelerator card
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1flh...ew?usp=sharing
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Y-o...ew?usp=sharing
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1UJ8...ew?usp=sharing
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1EDv...ew?usp=sharing

Obs: With this setup, I can, for example, insert a CFAUX card, the same I use with ACA500Plus for sharing Amiga or PC files, and take it out, and insert again the internet card and the system goes on stable with no problems at all.

I let you know,
Francisco

Last edited by FranciscoJr; 21 September 2021 at 23:16.