English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 30 November 2018, 18:40   #1
voelkeml

Oktagon 2008 SCSI Termination Intern/Extern

Hello,
I found a lot of stuff regarding SCSI termination in the net but no answer to this problem: I've got a Oktagon 2008 inside my A2000 with one internal HDD and one internal CD-ROM attached. So I terminated the CD-ROM and the Oktagon card via Jumpers. Now I plan to attach a external drive (ZIP) to the Oktagon's external port. I think I have to terminate this one, but what happens to the Oktagon's termnination? Do I have to remove it each time I attach the external drive and re-install it each time I remove the external drive? Or will the Oktagon notice automatically so that I don't have to do anything?
Thanks for your answers and greetings,
Michael

Old 30 November 2018, 18:51   #2
mark_k

The Oktagon has soldered-on terminating resistor packs next to its internal SCSI connector. You can't disable that termination with a jumper.

If the length of cable between Oktagon and internal HDD is short (e.g. if you have the HDD mounted on the Oktagon card) keeping the Oktagon termination and having the CD-ROM termination enabled would be correct (or good enough).

But if you add an external Zip drive, ideally you should remove the terminating registor packs from the Oktagon board and enable termination on the Zip.

What I would do, is remove the Oktagon resistor packs, and when no external devices are connected, put a 25-pin SCSI terminator on the external port.

On the other hand, that's a bit of a pain to do, so you might want to see whether your system still seems to work OK when the Zip is attached (try with & without the Zip termination). Even though in that case the SCSI chain will be incorrectly terminated.