English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.WinUAE

Old 30 May 2009, 01:29   #1
hexaae
Bug hunter

Problems with filesystem and strange chars

UAE 1.6.0, my cfg attached.
If I save a filename like "Read>Me" on the UAE partition (physically a Windows Vista partition, using emulated UAE controller + uaescsi.device + SPTI) after a reboot or a WUAE quit + restart, the file name "Read>Me" gets a random (= garbage) name. Is ">" an illegal char to use?
Attached Files
File Type: txt Hexaae.uae.txt (29.8 KB, 169 views)
Old 30 May 2009, 01:42   #2
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

If you are using a folder on a NTFS partition (or the whole partition) as a harddrive then yes, it is an illegal char.

Quote:
The following characters are invalid as file or folder names on Windows using NTFS:
/ ? < > \ : * | ” and any character you can type with the Ctrl key
It's works with a HDF, so you can create files with '>' on the Amiga side, but it won't save with the name on the NTFS partition.
Old 30 May 2009, 01:48   #3
prowler
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCyberDruid View Post
If you are using a folder on a NTFS partition (or the whole partition) as a harddrive then yes, it is an illegal char.
NTFS and FAT filesystems used for Windows media use the '>' character for redirection, which is why it is an illegal filename character.
Old 30 May 2009, 09:27   #4
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

It is broken, now there is enough bugs found to start working on 1.6.1 (note that it isn't "random" name either )
Old 30 May 2009, 09:34   #5
ceztko

Quote:
Originally Posted by prowler View Post
NTFS and FAT filesystems used for Windows media use the '>' character for redirection, which is why it is an illegal filename character.
Unix filenames support any character except '/' and I/O redirection is still supported, so that seems more a design choice. Consider many limitations are not really fs dependent but are hardcoded in userspace utilities. For example, you can create files with strange characters in a ntfs partition with any linux live cd: this won't corrupt the fs but windows utilities may not know how to handle them, often resulting in undeletable objects.
Old 30 May 2009, 16:28   #6
hexaae
Bug hunter

Quote:
Yes I know... but I expected UAE to workaround Amiga file names with special chars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toni Wilen View Post
It is broken, now there is enough bugs found to start working on 1.6.1 (note that it isn't "random" name either )
Old 30 May 2009, 19:25   #7
prowler
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceztko View Post
Unix filenames support any character except '/' and I/O redirection is still supported, so that seems more a design choice. Consider many limitations are not really fs dependent but are hardcoded in userspace utilities. For example, you can create files with strange characters in a ntfs partition with any linux live cd: this won't corrupt the fs but windows utilities may not know how to handle them, often resulting in undeletable objects.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hexaae View Post
Yes I know... but I expected UAE to workaround Amiga file names with special chars.
Sorry, chaps!

What I really meant to say was, "The Windows command interpreter uses the '>', '|' and '<' characters for redirection of standard output, which is why they are illegal filename characters for NTFS and FAT filesystems."
Old 30 May 2009, 20:01   #8
ceztko

Quote:
What I really meant to say was, "The Windows command interpreter uses the '>', '|' and '<' characters for redirection of standard output, which is why they are illegal filename characters for NTFS and FAT filesystems."
I had understood what you meant, but that's just a design choice. Having '>', '|' and '<' in filenames doesn't inhibit having a working I/O redirection, in fact unix shell(s) do support it without that limitation in the fs.
Old 30 May 2009, 20:24   #9
prowler
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by hexaae View Post
It will of course be up to Toni to decide whether to implement a workaround for Amiga filenames with illegal Windows filename characters.

IIRC, the now discontinued Archie Acorn Archimedes emulator for DOS used a workaround for filename characters which are legitimate under ADFS, but illegal in FAT. It involved substituting alternative characters for the illegal ones before storing the files in a Windows directory, and restoring them again when the file is fetched back into the emulation.

A workaround like this for WinUAE would obviously take a great deal of careful thought, but if you really would like to see this feature implemented in a future release of WinUAE, I would suggest you start a thread under req.WinUAE.

prowler
Old 30 May 2009, 20:26   #10
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Everyone, stop being stupid, please.

It is a simple bug. It was working in 1.5.3 just fine.
Old 30 May 2009, 20:28   #11
prowler
Global Moderator

Sorry, Toni!

I've never tried to use illegal Windows filenames myself!
Old 02 June 2009, 23:19   #12
exoticaga

Having a few versions of WinUAE around using on hard drive and flash stick (folders).

None of the versions allow for > or < in files names from cd. That were written on original amiga (IS09660-Rockridge).

Neither if re-written to IS09660, IS09660+Joliet, UDF and many other flavours to cd-dvd or an image file. Is this all part of the 'same simple bug' ?
Old 02 June 2009, 23:27   #13
prowler
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by exoticaga View Post
Having a few versions of WinUAE around using on hard drive and flash stick (folders).

None of the versions allow for > or < in files names from cd. That were written on original amiga (IS09660-Rockridge).

Neither if re-written to IS09660, IS09660+Joliet, UDF and many other flavours to cd-dvd or an image file. Is this all part of the 'same simple bug' ?
Hi exoticaga,

Do you mean that if you were to copy the files from an original Amiga ISO9660-Rockridge CD to a hardfile within WinUAE, then the filenames wouldn't be preserved if they include those special characters?
Old 03 June 2009, 07:59   #14
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by exoticaga View Post

No, this has nothing to do with above bug and has really nothing to do with this topic either

You do not read Amiga CDROMs as a Windows filesystem (because it is Windows that is "incompatible", not WinUAE)

You have to use uaescsi.device if you want to be compatible.
Old 04 June 2009, 04:37   #15
exoticaga

>prowler. I used to use < > in folder names and were burnt to cd with makecd, long ago. Didn't know the file system would get stuck at with the poor cousin Joliet.
Rockridge was shafted by microsoft i thinks.
Old 04 June 2009, 04:38   #16
exoticaga

Toni any (non os system) hard drive can be unmounted!. You could do the same with a user selcted cd-dvd drive for winuae. Unmount X cd-dvd make it have exclusive access within winuae only, until winuae is quit.

I'll happily to put another cd-dvd drive into the pc case. Then if need a cd-dvd drive while winuae is running, for host os i will have one. Or maybe i'll use both in winuae for cd copying or file storage access etc ?
Old 04 June 2009, 08:41   #17
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

I am not so sure if it is possible to disable filesystem mounting but leave the device driver running. (and I am not going to do anything unsupported, it _will_ break in next windows version or service pack..)