Originally Posted by PeterK View Post
If $AfA EQ ON
Wait 2 ; wait for Eastern
RemLib >NIL: icon.library
KeepPlanarImages
EndIf
EndCli
[/CODE]
Is there a reason for me to use this with the OS 4.1 icons, @PeterK? Right now, I got my icons back and everything with AfA add-on is working very well.

2nd question: Is there a command (or app) which allows the user to view/manipulate the hidden def_icons in SYS:Prefs/Env-Archive/sys which are sent to RAM: on startup? I can see them, of course, in DOPUS, but can I unhide them in icon view? Thanks!
Old 15 June 2020, 14:08   #122
PeterK

Ok, this is all a bit off-topic for a MUI5 thread, but the problem with the invisible OS4 icons on AFA can only occur after you have saved them with my library and when it has replaced planar images by smaller ones. The icon_lib.exe of AfA uses by mistake the size of the planar images to decode the TrueColor images, and that will fail if both don't have the same size anymore. You can avoid that with "KeepPlanarImages" or by only using one of both icon.libraries for ever, but be warned, many OS4 icons that have been saved by icon_lib.exe can't be used on OS4 anymore, because AfA writes crap.

2.) Of course you can open Prefs/Env-Archive:sys or ENV:sys on the desktop and make the icons visible, but not those of the type "disk" or "volume". They are only visible as "disk.info" in a root directory or you have to change their type with a tool to drawer or tool.
Old 15 June 2020, 14:42   #123
Weaselrama
Registered Voter

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterK View Post
Ok, this is all a bit off-topic for a MUI5 thread, but the problem with the invisible OS4 icons on AFA can only occur after you have saved them with my library and when it has replaced planar images by smaller ones. The icon_lib.exe of AfA uses by mistake the size of the planar images to decode the TrueColor images, and that will fail if both don't have the same size anymore. You can avoid that with "KeepPlanarImages" or by only using one of both icon.libraries for ever, but be warned, many OS4 icons that have been saved by icon_lib.exe can't be used on OS4 anymore, because AfA writes crap.

2.) Of course you can open Prefs/Env-Archive:sys or ENV:sys on the desktop and make the icons visible, but not those of the type "disk" or "volume". They are only visible as "disk.info" in a root directory or you have to change their type with a tool to drawer or tool.
Yeah, I upgraded the visible def_icons ages ago. Someday, I need to sit down and learn how to add types in deficons because there are some filetypes post-OS3.9 I want. I've only used deficons once, and that was because I screwed up the PNG datatype and all my .png icons were replaced by the default blank icon. I finally figured it out - the PNG datatype I used added an extra line in deficons. I got rid of it and all was well.

Just a note: One of the cooler aspects of OS3.9 is that you can bring up the icon information from the Workbench menu, right-click on the icon, and change types (tools, drawer, project, etc.) from there.

Ok - I'll add that line above to startup-sequence. Everything is good, I got all my icons back. I do like what AfA offers but your comment on its icon library is noted. Thanks for all your help, Peter!

Mods: I'm taking the rest of this conversation out of this thread to private messages. My thanks for your indulgence.
Old 15 June 2020, 15:40   #124
AMIGASYSTEM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weaselrama View Post
Mods: I'm taking the rest of this conversation out of this thread to private messages. My thanks for your indulgence.
Yes we went very OT, eventually open a new discussion on the suitable tools to change the icon type on the disk icons, or on other requests.

@Peter
KeepPlanarImages I don't use it because I misunderstood the yours message, anyway it's strange that you don't use RemLib from user-startup, it works fine for me, I use a lot of user-startups for the various tests this saves me from making changes (we can discuss your thread)

Also Peter doesn't use the waiting "Wait 2" and Eastern still works (of course for good quality I should rename picture_datatype.exe)

Last edited by AMIGASYSTEM; 29 June 2020 at 19:07.
Old 16 June 2020, 16:58   #125
James

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMIGASYSTEM View Post
MUI-5.0-2020-06-10 r6560 update, link Download front page
Please note that this is a nightly build, and includes debug code that makes it much larger (slower?) than the release packages. There is now a 12/6/20 nightly build available. But the current release build is from 2/1/20 (2019R4).
Old 16 June 2020, 20:23   #126
AMIGASYSTEM

Yes it is true but it is very stable and I would say also fast, compared to 2019R4 has some improvements, already this rewards its use, probably soon will come also the standard version.
Old 01 July 2020, 20:50   #127
James

2020R1 now available.

https://muidev.de/
Old 01 July 2020, 21:21   #128
indigolemon
Bit Copying Bard

Downloaded and installed
Old 21 December 2020, 16:52   #129
James

2020R3 now available.

https://muidev.de/
Old 21 January 2021, 00:39   #130
Flux

The downloads aren't currently available from https://muidev.de/ as MUI seems to be moving to GitHub, see https://github.com/amiga-mui/muidev/issues/324

However, the nightly builds are still at http://nightly.muidev.de/

Update: I've just found out the latest nightly build expires tomorrow, 22nd Jan. So, that isn't really an option.

Last edited by Flux; 21 January 2021 at 01:16.
Old 24 January 2021, 01:28   #131
mateusz_s

is it worth installing on 68k 060/080 RTG? I am still using the old 3.8 (or 3.9 can't remember)
Old 24 January 2021, 09:53   #132
Rotzloeffel

Quote:
Originally Posted by mateusz_s View Post
is it worth installing on 68k 060/080 RTG? I am still using the old 3.8 (or 3.9 can't remember)

no... feel happy with 3.8
Old 25 January 2021, 21:50   #133
AMIGASYSTEM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mateusz_s View Post
If you use an updated operating system with new applications MUI 5 is necessary, more features and better graphics quality, MUI 3.8 is obsolete
Old 25 January 2021, 21:53   #134
duga

Quote:
If you use an updated operating system with new applications MUI 5 is necessary, more features and better graphics quality, MUI 3.8 is obsolete
Just as obsolete as 68k you mean?

I've been trying 3.9 and 5.0 on 020 ECS and 030 AGA a couple of times, after a while I went back to 3.8 again.

5.0 is clearly targeted against RTG and PowerPC.
Old 26 January 2021, 09:55   #135
AMIGASYSTEM

Yes of course if you have an Amiga little expanded and without a MUI5 graphics card is not really indicated!
Old 26 January 2021, 17:21   #136
Rotzloeffel

Quote:
There are no applications for mui higher 3.8 on m68k
Old 26 January 2021, 18:09   #137
AMIGASYSTEM

Yes, but in some cases on new generation applications to have a better looking GUI it is better to use a more updated MUI version.

If versions 4 and 5 have been developed there must be a reason, don't you think?
Old 26 January 2021, 18:40   #138
James

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotzloeffel View Post
There are no applications for mui higher 3.8 on m68k
Several apps state that they need greater than 3.8 in their requirements.
A few examples:

http://aminet.net/package/comm/tcp/dizzytorrent2
http://aminet.net/package/util/misc/PassPocket
http://aminet.net/package/comm/misc/twittAmiga

There are also apps that will lose functionality e.g. Strange can't use tabs under 3.8. and some apps will have graphical problems.
Old 08 May 2021, 15:36   #139
Michael
A1260T/PPC/BV/SCSI/NET

MUI 4 & 5 should be rtg free since all cgx dependencies were removed, unless the later (5) ones had any serious changes in that field.
The major problem of the later mui is real time preference update that is slow on real hardware and ridiculous colour chooser requester that is huge and super slow (unusable) on real hardware. I have requested to have switches to enable test mode changes again (as it always were) as an option, and also bring back classic rgb requester from 3.9 also as an option to the fancy new look ones but that never happened, hoping this will be done if the project becomes more open. And the final killer for classic machines is removal of intuition slider support in favor of cpu only one, that fixes a rendering bug when window is larger then screen (anyone uses such cases?) but performance is dreadful, no longer you can scroll large areas smoothly.
If these areas are addressed (returned to 3.9 state) then MUI will be very usable on the the classic, with a bit larger memory foot print, but no major performance differences.
Old 03 September 2021, 22:41   #140
James

2021R1 now available.

https://github.com/amiga-mui/muidev/...I-5.0-20210831