English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.FS-UAE

Old 02 November 2021, 15:04   #1
FrodeSolheim
FS-UAE Developer

FS-UAE 3.1-stable

While I'm primarily working on FS-UAE & Launcher 4, I've seen the need to do some updates to version 3 as well. Especially for macOS users where 3.0.5 is not working very well on the latest macOS releases. But it has useful fixes for other platforms as well, including a fix for using
.lha
archives on Windows and a compatibility fix for using QEMU-UAE on recent Linux distros. I haven't announced version 3.1 on fs-uae.net yet, among other things because I don't have installers prepared yet, and I also haven't had time to make sure that FS-UAE Arcade runs correctly. Apologies for not having a more smooth upgrade path, but I simply haven't had time.

Please consider subscribing to this thread to get information about updates. - And please let me know if these instructions are unclear!

EDIT: A new download page for FS-UAE 3.1 is now up at https://fs-uae.net/download. Please go there instead of using the links below, there are slighly newer versions on the official download page now.

Windows
  • You'll need to have an archiver with support for
    .tar.xz
    for now. I recommend https://www.7-zip.org/.
  • Download the
    .tar.xz
    archives for your operating system and extract the contained
    FS-UAE
    and
    FS-UAE-Launcher
    folders to wherever you like.
  • You must keep these folders stored alongside each other.
  • The
    fs-uae-launcher.exe
    executable is found within
    FS-UAE-Launcher/Windows/x86-64
    . You can make a shortcut to this of course to make starting it easier.
FS-UAE_3.1.43_Windows_x86-64.tar.xz
FS-UAE-Launcher_3.1.32_Windows_x86-64.tar.xz

Go to https://fs-uae.net/download instead.

Linux
  • Download the
    .tar.xz
    archives for your operating system and extract the contained
    FS-UAE
    and
    FS-UAE-Launcher
    directories to wherever you like.
  • You must keep these directories stored alongside each other.
  • The
    fs-uae-launcher
    executable is found within
    FS-UAE-Launcher/Linux/x86-64
    . You can make a shortcut to this of course to make starting it easier.
FS-UAE_3.1.43_Linux_x86-64.tar.xz
FS-UAE-Launcher_3.1.32_Linux_x86-64.tar.xz

macOS
  • Download the
    .dmg
    images for both FS-UAE Launcher and FS-UAE, and copy the apps within to
    /Applications
    or wherever you like.
  • You must keep the two apps stored alongside each other.
  • Choose the correct versions for your machine. the ARM64 version is for Apple Silicon (M1 Macs), and x86-64 is for Intel hardware. If you are unsure, just go with x86-64 which should work on all recent macOS systems.
  • The ARM64 version will run faster on M1 Macs, but does not support JIT compilation. You should be able to run the x86-64 on M1 Macs (with JIT) though of course performance will be affected somewhat by emulating both 68K and x86-64 on ARM64 hardware.
FS-UAE_3.1.43_macOS_x86-64.dmg
FS-UAE-Launcher_3.1.32_macOS_x86-64.dmg
FS-UAE_3.1.43_macOS_ARM64.dmg
FS-UAE-Launcher_3.1.32_macOS_ARM64.dmg

If you have an older macOS version which is not supported by FS-UAE Launcher, you can download a version for macOS10.9+ instead.

Plugins

You should get new and updated plugins for CAPSImg (
.ipf
file support) and QEMU-UAE (PPC support) if you use these. The plugins should be installed into
Documents/FS-UAE/System
. So, for example, the
CAPSImg
directory should be extracted as
Documents/FS-UAE/System/CAPSImg

CAPSImg_5.1.2_Windows_x86-64.tar.xz
QEMU-UAE_3.8.6_Windows_x86-64.tar.xz
CAPSImg_5.1.2_Linux_x86-64.tar.xz
QEMU-UAE_3.8.6_Linux_x86-64.tar.xz
CAPSImg_5.1.2_macOS_x86-64.tar.xz
QEMU-UAE_3.8.6_macOS_x86-64.tar.xz
CAPSImg_5.1.2_macOS_ARM64.tar.xz
QEMU-UAE_3.8.6_macOS_ARM64.tar.xz

Note for macOS users: When extracting, please use the built-in unarchiver in macOS. If you use a third-party app, the plugins might be extracted incorrectly (with wrong file permissions).

Portable version

If you want to convert
Documents/FS-UAE
to a portable directory which you can move wherever you want, just follow these simple steps:
  • Make sure
    FS-UAE
    &
    FS-UAE-Launcher
    is stored inside
    Documents/FS-UAE
    . I recommend storing them as
    Documents/FS-UAE/System/FS-UAE-Launcher
    and
    Documents/FS-UAE/System/FS-UAE
  • Make sure a file called
    Documents/FS-UAE/Portable.ini
    exists (it can be empty). On Windows, it is important to make sure you create the file name correctly, and that it's not being called
    Portable.ini.txt
    (which can happen if try to create this via Notepad or similar).
You can now move Documents/FS-UAE to any location, and this should work for all operating systems

ChangeLog
  • Fix device helper for xinput devices with recent SDL2 versions.
  • Support for multiple mice disabled by default on macOS due to security warning. Use option multiple_mice = 1 to enable.
  • Disable expect_version option (no longer synchronized with launcher).
  • Added support for more physical keys (when using rawinput).
  • Compilation fixes for Apple M1 hardware.
  • Netplay desync fixes related to file system (directory hard drives).
  • Better virtual memory reservation algorithm.
  • Option to automatically pause on menu screen [mrsilver76].
  • Use RTLD_DEEPBIND with dlopen on Linux when loading plugins.
  • Changes to how plugins are looked up.
  • Ide patch.
  • SCP floppy image doesn't wrap to revolution #0 cleanly [keirf].
  • Fixed crash in nname_to_aname [PowderedToastMan].

Last edited by FrodeSolheim; 19 December 2021 at 17:18.
Old 02 November 2021, 15:45   #2
FrodeSolheim
FS-UAE Developer

Some additional notes:

- FS-UAE Arcade is included as part of the Launcher. You can run Arcade by passing the
--arcade
parameter to
fs-uae-launcher
by (for example) creating a shortcut with this additional parameter. Tested fine on Windows and Linux, but there seems to be an issue with Arcade on macOS. To be continued.

- FS-UAE Arcade on macOS misbehaves (or perhaps it is macOS that misbehaves). When launching FS-UAE, you only get a black screen. Everything works fine if you run Arcade in windowed mode (add
--window
parameter).

- On Linux, using the browse for file / folder button in FS-UAE Launcher may crash the Launcher. This is probably distro-dependent, and related to the inclusion of the GTK libraries with the Launcher. Will investigate further.

- XInput controllers (Xbox controllers, etc) may need to be configured again in Launcher Settings in order to be recognized and work properly, due to changes in the underlying SDL2 library.

Last edited by FrodeSolheim; 02 November 2021 at 19:59.
Old 02 November 2021, 15:57   #3
MartinW

Thank you so much for this - I'll take it for a spin later and see if it resolves the problems I was having with the v4 preview builds. The only reason I was trying those was because I was after a macOS Arm64 build and you've provided that here
Old 02 November 2021, 22:50   #4
reno

Great stuff, thank you so much !

Gave it a quick try and everything works super well on my M1 Mac, and the security prompt is fixed too.
Old 04 November 2021, 12:12   #5
germandroide

Hi, you probably know Amilator.
It uses a very light Linux Kernel and launches FS-UAE to load a configuration.

We are testing it recently, the AmigaUAE community is starting to get interested in this stuff and we are getting very excited about things like this...

There are several groups trying to create a Linux distribution that can be installed on a dual-boot hard disk alongside Windows, MacOS or another Linux distribution: or that can load in Live format.

Amilator is very powerful, almost three times the performance of FS-UAE on Linux. We understand that this is because the kernel launches Fsuae and nothing else.

In this sense we are thinking of being able to load a script where you can choose to launch a default configuration, load in FS-UAE Launcher mode to be able to select different options or FS-UAE Arcade, also to be able to launch a KVM with ArosX86 or Amithlon...

We understand that the logical thing to do is to call it AmigaFS-x86 in honour of the creator of FS-UAE since everything is going to go around your project.

My problem is that I have no idea about programming and even less about Linux. I have a lot of ideas but nothing else. ??

As for the groups that are into this, they are looking for the option to do it under Arch or Debian... They have problems, I imagine they must be running into needs that FS-UAE has for sound, controllers, Qemu...

I don't know if it would be possible for you to help us through your website, explaining how to make a live Linux Distro based on FS-UAE and be able to have a script to launch other possibilities.
Old 04 November 2021, 18:11   #6
jbl007

I really don't understand why people are so crazy about Amilator.
It's just a loop mounted Debian system with FS-UAE auto-started. There is a windows filesystem mounted as an overlay, so the user can put some Amiga stuff in and some scripts to glue it all together. This certainly is nicely made, but there is no magic involved.

Quote:
Originally Posted by germandroide View Post
Amilator is very powerful, almost three times the performance of FS-UAE on Linux.
Ah yes, of course 3 times faster.. .

Quote:
We understand that this is because the kernel launches Fsuae and nothing else.
Completely wrong!
It uses plymouth with a black boot splash screen. Probably to hide the boot messages. It boots normaly with systemd and uses https://packages.debian.org/buster/misc/nodm as the display manager. The dm starts an Xorg session with fs-uae as it's client.
This is not much different from any other Linux distro.
It also starts daemons like network-/modem manager, timesync, dbus, polkit, pulseaudio etc.. Additionally I wouldn't say 1.5GB uncompress root file system is really that "lightweight"...
Old 08 November 2021, 21:05   #7
FrodeSolheim
FS-UAE Developer

Quote:
Amilator is very powerful, almost three times the performance of FS-UAE on Linux. We understand that this is because the kernel launches Fsuae and nothing else.
This sounds extremely unbelievable. I'm sure it's possible to tweak a system to a get a few percent more performance, but nothing like this. In general, stripping down a Linux system won't help that much, since most of the installed components will be idle anyway. Running with fewer services etc can help avoid occasional stuttering of course, so it's not useless. But don't expect miracles.

Quote:
We understand that the logical thing to do is to call it AmigaFS-x86 in honour of the creator of FS-UAE since everything is going to go around your project.
Actually, please don't. Calling it that suggests that I'm behind it You can instead make a note of FS-UAE in the credits, or perhaps write "Powered by FS-UAE" somewhere.

Quote:
My problem is that I have no idea about programming and even less about Linux. I have a lot of ideas but nothing else. ?? [...] I don't know if it would be possible for you to help us through your website, explaining how to make a live Linux Distro based on FS-UAE and be able to have a script to launch other possibilities.
I won't have time to help you get this off the ground. I can help answering (specific) questions about FS-UAE and give some tips of course, if you get a team assembled and this goes somewhere.
Old 09 November 2021, 22:52   #8
DanielAllsopp

Hi Frode

I'm currently trying to use FS-UAE with macOS Monterey, which works fine apart from the debugger seems to be having some issues.

If I hit fn-F12 and D I get the message 'Activated debugger' and the terminal jumps into the usual:

Code:
WARNING: Activated debugger
 -- stub -- activate_console 
  D0 00000000   D1 006F2DFF   D2 40000000   D3 00008000 
  D4 00000000   D5 00000000   D6 80000000   D7 C0000000 
  A0 0000168E   A1 00008BE2   A2 00FE77E4   A3 00001692 
  A4 00F814C4   A5 00009BEE   A6 000014F8   A7 001FFFFE 
USP  00009C30 ISP  001FFFFE SFC  00000000 DFC  00000000 
CACR 00000001 VBR  00000000 CAAR 00000000 MSP  00000000 
T=00 S=1 M=0 X=0 N=0 Z=0 V=0 C=0 IMASK=0 STP=1
00F81476 60e6                     BT .B #$ffffffe6 == $00f8145e (T)
Next PC: 00f81478
>
However, the emulation doesn't freeze as it used to, and entering a command onto the Terminal acts as if I'm entering the command into bash itself. Its like the debugger is starting and then immediately jumping out and exiting.

Any ideas?

Cheers,
Daniel

Last edited by DanielAllsopp; 10 November 2021 at 17:51.
Old 10 November 2021, 15:22   #9
FrodeSolheim
FS-UAE Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielAllsopp View Post
I'm currently trying to use FS-UAE with macOS Monterey, which works fine apart from the debugger seems to be having some issues.
I didn't manage to reproduce on macOS 11, I suppose I'll try updating to macOS 12 and see what happens...
Old 10 November 2021, 17:50   #10
DanielAllsopp

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrodeSolheim View Post
I didn't manage to reproduce on macOS 11, I suppose I'll try updating to macOS 12 and see what happens...
Thank you
Old 10 November 2021, 22:44   #11
FrodeSolheim
FS-UAE Developer

I've finally updated fs-uae.net with a proper download page for version 3.1. I've now also updated the download repositories for Ubuntu (*), Debian, Fedora and openSUSE. -And there are .zip files now for Windows users instead of .tar.xz archives.

(*) openSUSE Build Service, not Ubuntu PPA.
Old 12 November 2021, 09:12   #12
Etze
A3000-Fan

Quote:
I I've now also updated the download repositories for Ubuntu (*),
Hello Frode. I updated FS-UAE on my Ubuntu based Pop!_OS 21.04. Now I have two problems:

1. I can't use the "Windows"-keys anymore. So I can't reset the emulated Amiga, Also no "right-Amiga-X/C/V" vor cut/copy/paste anymore.
I tried a complete new config but the keys just don't work.

2. I can't maximize the emulator-window with a double-click on the window title bar anymore. I can use the maximize-button, but still...
It did work in 3.0.5 and it does work with the launcher-window, but not with the actual emulator-window.

Any idea what's going wrong?

On the other hand, I like the new look and FS-UAE seems to work like a charm. Keep up the good work, I love it!
Old 12 November 2021, 13:28   #13
FrodeSolheim
FS-UAE Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Etze View Post
Any idea what's going wrong?

On the other hand, I like the new look and FS-UAE seems to work like a charm. Keep up the good work, I love it!
Just a guess, since the look in 3.1 shouldn't really be much different:
- Have you tested FS-UAE 4 and have that installed in FS-UAE/System? If so, the Launcher runs FS-UAE v4 instead of v3.1 "by mistake" in your case.

(It is by design that FS-UAE Launcher prefers to run FS-UAE from FS-UAE/System/FS-UAE if found).
Old 12 November 2021, 13:32   #14
Etze
A3000-Fan

Quote:
- Have you tested FS-UAE 4 and have that installed in FS-UAE/System? If so, the Launcher runs FS-UAE v4 instead of v3.1 "by mistake" in your case.
Haha, so that's why my "wannabe-3.1" looked like 4.x...

Yeah, you are correct. After deleting the files, everything works as expected again. Thank you very much!
Old 15 November 2021, 19:36   #15
FrodeSolheim
FS-UAE Developer

Translations were missing from FS-UAE Launcher on Windows and Linux, so I've posted new versions on https://fs-uae.net/download with translations included

Also, due to changes in SDL2, some controllers (Xbox controllers at least) have new GUIDs and the bundled configurations no longer match. So you need to remap your controller in Launcher settings if you cannot utilize all buttons anymore. I'll see if I can get new and updated controller configs included in an update!
Old 17 November 2021, 12:00   #16
-fun-

Quote:
due to changes in SDL2, some controllers (Xbox controllers at least) have new GUIDs and the bundled configurations no longer match
Aha! This may be the reason why my 8bitdo SFC30 is not recognized correctly? It is shown as "Unknown ...". Manually mapping the buttons works though.

I'm using Launcher 3.1.30. Can I patch up the GUID somewhere in FS-UAE?
Old 17 November 2021, 13:48   #17
FrodeSolheim
FS-UAE Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by -fun- View Post
Aha! This may be the reason why my 8bitdo SFC30 is not recognized correctly? It is shown as "Unknown ...". Manually mapping the buttons works though.

I'm using Launcher 3.1.30. Can I patch up the GUID somewhere in FS-UAE?
It's definitively why you need to remap; I'll probably soon release an update with configs for many popular controllers including this one.

But it's a bit weird if it's called "Unknown ..." - What's the complete name of the device? And what operating system?
Old 17 November 2021, 19:58   #18
-fun-

My Mac recognizes the device as "8bitdo SFC30 GamePad". See below for details. I have a new 14" MBP with the small M1 Pro CPU, 32GB memory and running Monterey (12.0.1). Quite the machine for emulating an Amiga.

The Launcher show it as "Unknown 8bitdo SFC30 GamePad". Obviously it recognizes the device as gamepad (I guess by "Minor Type") but does not match it with its known devices. It creates 2 identical files (details see below):

Code:
03000000c82d00003028000000010000.fs-uae-controller
unknown_8bitdo_sfc30_gamepad_16_6_1_0_macos.conf
It seems that the first file's name is the GUID containing Vendor ID und Product ID (swapped bytes).

On the Mac I check with

Code:
system_profiler SPBluetoothDataType
and receive this result:

Code:
Bluetooth:

Bluetooth Controller:
          Address: F8:4D:89:5C:26:87
          State: On
          Chipset: BCM_4387
          Discoverable: Off
          Firmware Version: 19.2.383.3894
          Product ID: 0x0001
          Supported services: 0x382039 < HFP AVRCP A2DP HID Braille AACP GATT Serial >
          Transport: PCIe
          Vendor ID: 0x004C (Apple)
      Paired Bluetooth Devices:
          8Bitdo SFC30 GamePad:
              Address: E4:17:D8:A0:0B:75
              Connected: Yes
              Vendor ID: 0x2DC8
              Product ID: 0x2830
              Firmware Version: 1.0.0
              Minor Type: Gamepad
              RSSI: -59
              Services: 0x800020 < HID ACL >
... (more devices from here)

Content of both files after manual button mapping (right shoulder button only):

Code:
[fs-uae-controller]
name = Unknown 8Bitdo SFC30 GamePad
platform = macos

[device]
make = SFC30
model = 
type = 

[sdl]
guid = 03000000c82d00003028000000010000
buttons = 16
hats = 1
axes = 6
balls = 0

[default]
include = universal_gamepad
button_7 = right_shoulder
Old 17 November 2021, 23:25   #19
FrodeSolheim
FS-UAE Developer

I've uploaded new version of FS-UAE & Launcher 3.1 with lots of controllers config. Your device should be recognized out of the box now @-fun-. Can you verify?

https://fs-uae.net/download
Old 18 November 2021, 05:56   #20
-fun-

Controller is not recognized but ...

Yes, the Launcher now recognizes the controller! The buttons seem to be mapped as expected.

However using it is on another page. I noticed 3 problems:

1. In Elite (the only game I used the controller so far) even if the controller is configured in the Launcher it is not active in the emulation. I need to select this in the menu in the running emulation.

2. In one case auto fire was activated regardless of whether or not this was activated in the settings in the menu. I simply could not deactivate this.

3. My custom button mappings are ignored. I added this in the settings in the Launcher (this has worked fine before):

joystick_0_east_button = action_key_space
joystick_0_left_shoulder = action_joy_0_fire_button
joystick_0_north_button = action_key_t
joystick_0_right_shoulder = action_key_m
joystick_0_select_button = action_pause
joystick_0_south_button = action_key_div
joystick_0_start_button = action_pause
joystick_0_west_button = action_key_u

Regardless of this all buttons except up-down-right-left work as fire buttons.

Let me know if I can help with analyzing stuff any further.