English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware > Hardware mods

Old 08 October 2017, 23:43   #1
Swe_Kryten2x4b

Question Gotek drive does not boot

First off, I'm a complete newbie to the world of Gotek/HxC drives so I may be missing something completely obvious...

I bought a GoTek second hand and it does seem to work. By that I mean the led-display shows 000, the green led is lit as it should if I understand things correctly. And it is trying to access the usb-stick I have attached to it - I see this since the USB has an access light on it that flashes when used.

The C0 jumper is closed, the drive is formatted using FAT32 and a few adf-files copied over.

Nothing else is attached at the moment so DF0 as this drive would be seen as is the only viable boot-drive.

But when I boot up, I only get the usb-stick flashing and the regular "Please insert disk into drive" animation (A1200).

The seller claims the unit has been flashed with the latest version of the FlashFloppy firmware. Although I do not know how to verify that.

If I understand correctly, FlashFloppy does not require any configfiles or selector.adf in the root of the usb-stick. Is that understanding correct?

As far as connecting it to my Amiga, I just unplugged the cables from the
standard diskdrive and connected them to the GoTek. Would that do, or do they need to be wired somewhat differently?

Any ideas?
Old 09 October 2017, 10:07   #2
FOL
PSPUAE DEV

Send a message via MSN to FOL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swe_Kryten2x4b View Post
First off, I'm a complete newbie to the world of Gotek/HxC drives so I may be missing something completely obvious...

I bought a GoTek second hand and it does seem to work. By that I mean the led-display shows 000, the green led is lit as it should if I understand things correctly. And it is trying to access the usb-stick I have attached to it - I see this since the USB has an access light on it that flashes when used.

The C0 jumper is closed, the drive is formatted using FAT32 and a few adf-files copied over.

Nothing else is attached at the moment so DF0 as this drive would be seen as is the only viable boot-drive.

But when I boot up, I only get the usb-stick flashing and the regular "Please insert disk into drive" animation (A1200).

The seller claims the unit has been flashed with the latest version of the FlashFloppy firmware. Although I do not know how to verify that.

If I understand correctly, FlashFloppy does not require any configfiles or selector.adf in the root of the usb-stick. Is that understanding correct?

As far as connecting it to my Amiga, I just unplugged the cables from the
standard diskdrive and connected them to the GoTek. Would that do, or do they need to be wired somewhat differently?

Any ideas?
I thought FlashFloppy used HxC config files? You would need to read the FlashFloppy thread. I have not had chance to try it yet, only had a quick look at what was involved.
Old 09 October 2017, 12:47   #3
Swe_Kryten2x4b

Quote:
Originally Posted by FOL View Post
I thought FlashFloppy used HxC config files? You would need to read the FlashFloppy thread. I have not had chance to try it yet, only had a quick look at what was involved.
Actually, I forgot to mention that I have tried that as well. No difference.

Will read through the FlashFloppy thread again and see if I have missed something there that might help.
Old 09 October 2017, 16:14   #4
supaduper

I`m sure you should see F-F on the display briefly before 000 do you see the Fs ? if not its not flashed or its a bad flash
Old 09 October 2017, 17:27   #5
Swe_Kryten2x4b

Quote:
Originally Posted by supaduper View Post
I`m sure you should see F-F on the display briefly before 000 do you see the Fs ? if not its not flashed or its a bad flash
I do indeed see that. For a second or two.
Old 09 October 2017, 17:34   #6
supaduper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swe_Kryten2x4b View Post
I do indeed see that. For a second or two.
then you have FFloppy on the gotek, its something silly, it might be that the USB stick is not compatible , try another if you can,compatibility can be a problem,but it can still be a bad flash , have you tried to update the Gotek by putting another .upd file in the root of the USB and holding the two buttons down for a few seconds ?,
I say this because I trashed the firmware doing this(my Fault) and had to reflash the Gotek with the Flash Floppy F/ware again
Old 09 October 2017, 21:10   #7
solidcore

Now we know for sure it has F-F,

Regarding the usb stick, ensure the files are on the root are amiga configurations from hxc's latest software archive, in each of the amiga folder copy the files out in each respective folder to usb root and make sure its the autoboot one if you're using the loader. 000 then loads the loader, 001 etc is defined by the software.

Jumper must be CF0. No other jumper, and ensure there are no jumpers on the serial headers OR solder bridges underneath.

Chris
Old 10 October 2017, 00:51   #8
Swe_Kryten2x4b

Quote:
Originally Posted by supaduper View Post
then you have FFloppy on the gotek, its something silly, it might be that the USB stick is not compatible , try another if you can,compatibility can be a problem,but it can still be a bad flash , have you tried to update the Gotek by putting another .upd file in the root of the USB and holding the two buttons down for a few seconds ?,
I say this because I trashed the firmware doing this(my Fault) and had to reflash the Gotek with the Flash Floppy F/ware again
Have tried three or four sticks with the same problem, so doubt that is the problem.

And yes, I have updated the gotek with ff 0.8.1.a.

I got this on the display:

uPD
u56
clr
pr9
F-F

Update mode, update 56, clear flash, and reflashing I guess or whatever Pr9 stands for?

No error code at least.

That being said, I think I might have found the problem. I'll just have to bring out my A500 from storage to double-check. If it works as it should on that one I probably need to find my soldering gear...I missed it the first time around on the flash-floppy thread but it seems like I might need to make a minor change to the motherboard since this is an Escom A1200.

As in this thread: http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=22082
Old 10 October 2017, 08:09   #9
supaduper

Yep thats your problem,you will have to do that mod if its an Escom A1200 and it will defo work