English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 11 July 2014, 23:37   #1
amigasith

Anyone knows where to get 68000 sockets?

Cheers, folks! It turned out that the A2000 that I recently got had more battery leakage damage than the previous owner had thought... the 68000 CPU socket looks really bad

Today, I had a black screen of death and the miggy didn't even boot anymore. Only black screen, no floppy disk drive clicking, nothing. After some fiddling, I figured out that some CPU pin contacts were not good anymore. I managed to get the miggy working again by first cleaning the socket and CPU pins and then sticking some extra wire between the CPU pins and the socket pins, so that the contact is now firmly made. However, this is not very nice, and it looks ugly... I really have to solder a new CPU socket

Now does anyone know where to get 68000 CPU sockets? I mean not those with "hole style" contacts, but the original ones with metal springs? Or maybe someone has bought a whole bunch and has a left over for me (I pay, of course)
Old 12 July 2014, 07:50   #2
Magic

Simple to solve, just search for machined pin IC sockets 64 pin as I recall. I have some but postage from the US would probably be too high. Mouser or Digikey should have them. You could also sub in (2) single row machined pin female sockets.
Old 12 July 2014, 08:05   #3
ajk

Also Ebay is full of them, and usually with free shipping. Both the round and flat spring varieties.

Mouser and Digikey aren't very economical for just one or two components, need to get above €60 or so before you get free shipping.

Last edited by ajk; 02 December 2014 at 06:29.
Old 12 July 2014, 15:59   #4
lost_loven

Is there a certain type of quality you have to watch out for or is all the same? I was thinking of this idea awhile ago just to raise the 68000 up alittle for my 2 meg spirit board and rom switcher. If it doesn't matter on quality then this looks like to be the best deal I see for under a 10er! (sorry not tring to steal thread)

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/20pcs-64pin-P...item27d05d405b

lost
Old 12 July 2014, 16:25   #5
kipper2k

I personally would use the round hole type, they grip just as good as the flat pin type and not as flimsy.

In US/Canada you can get them at Digikey

http://www.digikey.ca/product-search...ords=ED3036-ND

you can also use the single strip 40 pin headers (and snip down to 32 pins per side) that would work good too that are easilt available on Ebay
Old 12 July 2014, 19:53   #6
demolition
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by kipper2k View Post
you can also use the single strip 40 pin headers (and snip down to 32 pins per side) that would work good too that are easilt available on Ebay
Using single line headers would make it a lot harder to extract the CPU without scratching the PCB though.
Old 12 July 2014, 20:37   #7
pandy71

Go for precision socket ( http://uk.mouser.com/images/tycoelec...pr1p58a14a.jpg ) - they are way better than ordinary...
Old 12 July 2014, 22:04   #8
amigasith

Hi - thanks for all the replies, awesome

Some of the links above point to 64 pin sockets where the pitch is 1.778mm - am I wrong or are those really suited for an 68k I thought that the pitch has to be 2.54mm?

So if I'm correct, kipper2k's link points to sockets with the right pitch, but I would really like to get sockets with springs... Somehow, I'm not 100% convinced that the round hole type ones make as good contact as the spring ones.

@kipper2k: What's your experience in this? Have you ever had problems with the round hole ones? I remember people posting that they had issues when they used round hole type sockets as raisers for FastATA MK-IV in their A1200s...

Thanks for looking
Old 12 July 2014, 22:41   #9
demolition
Unregistered User

The round hole ones (turned key) are much better than the cheap spring type sockets.
All my Kipper2k expansions use turned key sockets both as the socket, the offset pins and the risers.

The only issue I know with those sockets is that they do not work with expansions using wire wrap pins as the wire wrap pins will not fit into the turned key sockets. I do not know what kind of pins you find on a FastATA.

Not all combinations go well together though:
IC pins into turned key socket -> ok.
IC pins into spring socket -> ok.
Turned key pin into spring socket -> ok.
Turned key pin into turned key socket -> ok.
Spring pin into turned key socket -> not ok.
Spring pin into spring socket -> usually works, but not tight.
Wire wrap pin into turned key socket -> not ok.
Wire wrap pin into spring socket -> not optimal (can ruin the socket) but can work.

Another issue can be that the pins on a turned key socket are very brittle and cannot be bent much before they break. But if they are soldered into a PCB, then that is obviously not an issue.

Edit: And yes, you need sockets with 2.54mm pitch.
Old 13 July 2014, 00:50   #10
kipper2k

Quote:
Originally Posted by amigasith View Post
Hi - thanks for all the replies, awesome

Some of the links above point to 64 pin sockets where the pitch is 1.778mm - am I wrong or are those really suited for an 68k I thought that the pitch has to be 2.54mm?

So if I'm correct, kipper2k's link points to sockets with the right pitch, but I would really like to get sockets with springs... Somehow, I'm not 100% convinced that the round hole type ones make as good contact as the spring ones.

@kipper2k: What's your experience in this? Have you ever had problems with the round hole ones? I remember people posting that they had issues when they used round hole type sockets as raisers for FastATA MK-IV in their A1200s...

Thanks for looking
i have used them for all my sockets except the smaller logic chip sockets, any time i replace 68000 socket on a mobo i'll use the round pin type, they are also easier to replace one broken pin, on the -ve side, as stated, the pins themselves are brittle and you need to make sure you don't bend them too much or they will snap off.

the link i posted is for the 68k CPU, they are 0.100" pitch, 64 pin and 0.900" wide. (i'm old, i still use imperial measurement system
Old 13 July 2014, 13:35   #11
amigasith

@kipper2k and @demolition: Great, thank you very much for your detailed information

Since digikey and other US based shops are a bit expensive when it comes to shipping (not to mention the customs hassle sometimes), I prefer ordering at European / even better German shops... What do you think about the following socket: http://www.reichelt.de/IC-Sockel/GS-...5&artnr=GS+64P ? Does it look okay to you?

Again, thanks for your support in this
Old 13 July 2014, 14:11   #12
kipper2k

Quote:
Originally Posted by amigasith View Post
@kipper2k and @demolition: Great, thank you very much for your detailed information

Since digikey and other US based shops are a bit expensive when it comes to shipping (not to mention the customs hassle sometimes), I prefer ordering at European / even better German shops... What do you think about the following socket: http://www.reichelt.de/IC-Sockel/GS-...5&artnr=GS+64P ? Does it look okay to you?

Again, thanks for your support in this

Hi, pitch and width is good, price is about as good as you will find anywhere. it's a keeper
Old 14 July 2014, 21:57   #13
amigasith

Quote:
Originally Posted by kipper2k View Post
Hi, pitch and width is good, price is about as good as you will find anywhere. it's a keeper
Great, thanks for the confirmation I will order some the next time when I have to restock my electronics department
Old 14 October 2014, 21:59   #14
amigasith

I finally found some time to solder my new CPU socket I am actually so happy with the round hole type socket (also called "precision" socket sometimes) that I decided to report back here

First of all, the CPU went in much easier than I thought and secondly, the connection seems much firmer compared to the original metal spring socket. So thanks to kipper2k and demolition for encouraging me to use the round hole type!

And here's some hardware pr0n for all of you who love this kind of stuff - enjoy

Click image for larger version

Name:	a2k_cpu_socket_01.jpg
Views:	955
Size:	130.6 KB
ID:	41883

Name:	a2k_cpu_socket_02.jpg
Views:	649
Size:	148.8 KB
ID:	41884

Name:	a2k_cpu_socket_03.jpg
Views:	610
Size:	120.2 KB
ID:	41885
Old 15 October 2014, 06:06   #15
supaduper

Nice solder work, looks Factory !

How did you remove the old socket ?, solder pump,gun ?
Old 15 October 2014, 22:11   #16
amigasith

Thanks, supaduper It took me quite a while to replace the socket...

First I tried a solder pump, but it didn't really suck the solder out completely Then I used a side cutter (wire cutter) to remove all the plastics of the socket. This was quite scary, since I had to take extra care not to destroy any tracks on the board. Then I removed the metal springs one by one with my soldering iron and a telephone pliers (needle-nosed pliers) - 64 can be quite a lot, believe me Finally, I used solder wick to remove the remaining solder and cleaned the socket area thoroughly with IPA.

Compared to removing the old socket, soldering the new one seemed to take me almost no-time

Maybe other people would use hot air to do the job, but I don't really have experience with this technique and I am afraid of destroying other parts that are close to what should be actually desoldered...
Old 02 December 2014, 03:02   #17
Zippy Zapp

Hey all, thanks for the info on this thread about the sockets, just ordered some from digi-key.

@AmigaSith: Nice and clean work!

I think my A2000 has the same problem. Just got it out of my friends storage which was on loan since about 1995. Of course the battery had leaked all over the font right of the CPU pins and socket. I cleaned it up the best I could but my symptoms are like yours.

Did you have to get a new CPU?

I checked with a meter and there is no continuity on the legs that are greenish even from top of pin to bottom.
Is it possible to grind this off somehow? fine nail file or something?

@Kipper2k: Love your add on boards they are amazing!

Cheers All!
Old 02 December 2014, 04:04   #18
Hewitson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippy Zapp View Post
I checked with a meter and there is no continuity on the legs that are greenish even from top of pin to bottom.
Is it possible to grind this off somehow? fine nail file or something?
I'd carefully sand it off with some fine sandpaper.
Old 02 December 2014, 04:19   #19
Vot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hewitson View Post
I'd carefully sand it off with some fine sandpaper.

I would have to look at the socket again and see if the pins are a standard size but you could probably re-pin the socket.

Fiddly, time consuming, and risk of breaking it. But its a permanent fix.
Old 02 December 2014, 04:21   #20
Hewitson

I was talking about the CPU. I wouldn't try to repair the socket, why would you re pin it instead of simply replacing it?