English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Nostalgia & memories

Old 07 November 2002, 15:25   #1
Muzkat
Into the Wonderful

Cool Favourite Castlevainia?

Okay, I have been playing lots of NES emus recently, and I have rediscovered a past fav: Castlevainia! (I hope it's spelt correctly:hoo )

There were so many versions of this great, gothic vampire romp, that I was wondering what your favourite version was. (All platforms)

To start things off, here are mine:

All time favourite version: Probably the original Castlevainia on the NES. I have played a few other versions, and they don't seem to capture the addictiveness and scariness of the original.

Honourable Runners Up: Although not my fav, I really liked Castlevainia 3 on NES, and I thought the Mega Drive remake (Castlevainia: Blood Lines) was excellent.

I also enjoyed the Amiga version (which I have just discovered), but it is not my all time fav because I think it suffers from a fatal flaw: your character takes too damn long to pull his whip out. By the time he does, the monsters are upon you. It's a shame, because otherwise, I really liked this conversion.

Don't like: I don't like Castlevainia 2 on NES, because it seems to RPGish, and it doesn't work. I also don't like Super Castlevainia because, while the graphics are lovely, the gameplay is boring.

I haven't played any hand held versions, though.

Have your say!
Old 07 November 2002, 15:38   #2
Amiga1992

All time best fucking ever Castlevania game: Dracula X : Rondo of Blood for the PC Engine CD system.

<put a mile of distance here>

Runner ups: Castlevania Bloodlines (Genesis/Megadrive), Castlevania: Circle of the Moon (GBA), Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PSX/Saturn)
Old 07 November 2002, 16:22   #3
Drake1009

I spent eternities on Castlevania 1 on the C64 so that's my favorite. Honorable runner up (and the only other I've played) is Cattlevania X : Vampire's kiss on the SNES.
Old 07 November 2002, 17:59   #4
LordBug

Favorite is definately Symphony of the Night for PSX.

Runner ups are Circle of the Moon (GBA) and the original.

Worst - 2. By far.
Old 07 November 2002, 18:34   #5
Uukrul

My fave is the X68000 version.

Old 07 November 2002, 23:17   #6
RCK
Administrator

the both castlevania on GBA are excellent!
- Castlevania - Circle Of The Moon
- Castlevania - Harmony Of Dissonance
Old 08 November 2002, 03:37   #7
Shatterhand
Warhasneverbeensomuchfun

My fav Castlevania is Castlevania Symphony of the night (PSX). When I got a PSX from a friend for sometime, this and Winning Eleven were the most played games by me. Runners up would be Castlevania Bloodlines (Mega-Drive), and Vampire Killer (MSX), which isn't called Castlevania in west, but it's called Akumajo Dracula on Japan, like all other Castlevania games.

Actually, I enjoyed all the Castlevania games I've played, even Castlevania 2 on NES and Castlevania 64.

Never played Dracula X on PC-Engine though, lots of people say this game is just fantastic.
Old 08 November 2002, 08:26   #8
-SolidSnake-

mMm castlevania bring back memories yes, bought mysef Castlevania - Harmony Of Dissonance on the gba, and i have to say i'm pleased with it.

It's more or less the same as Symphony Of The Night, but that isn't bad at all...

Old 23 November 2002, 00:39   #9
Dr.Doom

Super Castlevania on the SNES (also called Castlevania 4 i think, not sure tho' ) the sound on that game was amazing i espeshly liked the under ground part, the one with the mud men thet duplicated when u hit them. the sound on that level was great.

Super CastleVwas the best by a long shot the 1st GBA game aslso kicked arse and i have a nostalgic yurning to play castlevania 1 just for old times sake.

Super Castlevania is one of my top 3 SNES games along with Mario World and Super Street Fighter 2 Turbo (argg that doesnt leave room for Zelda damn it)