English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Apps

Old 25 November 2014, 04:29   #1
ancalimon
Supernormal

Workbench set to Backdrop = Slower graphics?

This one is new. I don't remember this happening ten years ago.

After setting everything up, I am using my CVisionPPC again for the first time in 10 years. I discovered this:

When moving windows around (with mcp's "Solid Windowmoving" option on) I was able to smoothly move them when Workbench was to backdrop mode. Things slowed down when Workbench had a window (Backdrop option off) of it's own unless the window I was moving was moving over the backdrop.

Now it's the opposite. The windows move smoothly only if Workbench is not set to backdrop mode. How did this happen? Maybe it was some patch I used 10 years ago? Also if the window I'm moving is currenlty moving on another window, it suddenly starts to move smoothly. But as soon as it reaches a part of the screen with Workbench visible, it slows down again.

Could it be the updated layers.library (I don't think so). There is no background picture set using WBPattern. All of them are gray.

Last edited by ancalimon; 25 November 2014 at 05:05.
Old 25 November 2014, 11:10   #2
Michael
A1260T/PPC/BV/SCSI/NET

The new layers lib does not help when you run CGX, currently I have all sorts of problems.
So I prefer to use the CGX layers and you get transparent windows with it (N/A in current OS layers.lib). If you like, you can install the new layers.lib, and allow CGX to apply it's patches on top. This works, but I don't think it will give any improvement over rom based layers when it's patched by CGX layers.
Old 26 November 2014, 03:02   #3
ancalimon
Supernormal

I tried removing layers.library from blizkick (and also layersantihack) the problem is still here.

I have recorded a video. I hope Youtube can show the difference.

On the left is a window, and on the right is the Workbench backdrop. Moving window over the backdrop, it lags. On the other hand, moving the same window over another window it's smooth at butter.

[ Show youtube player ]

The following env variables are set on CyberGraphx
Alertemu, supergels, wbpatspeedup, hirescrsr, planes2fast, superlayers, 56khzaudio, forcechunky, keepamigavideo, usesemaphores.

The following tooltypes are set:
packed24, scrollmask, bitmapcache, bootlogo, passthrough.
Old 26 November 2014, 12:54   #4
Michael
A1260T/PPC/BV/SCSI/NET

Hmmm.... Looks like the window is in smartrefresh mode, and the backdrop is probably not.
But imho, your performance is reasonably nice. Also moving just up/down (on left) and shifting to sides a bit with up/down (on right) requires more resources and more data to be redrawn.
(Try to disable Packed24) if you use 24bit mode.
Old 26 November 2014, 20:03   #5
ancalimon
Supernormal

Tried powerwindowsng. It's very inconsistent and causes weird problem (first click is ignored sometimes forcing you to triple click for example to double click an icon, or a windows gadget. It also behaves differently with usb mouse and amiga mouse)

Anyway, it has an option to "force smart refresh". When that is used, windows moving on Workbench backdrop suddenly becomes smooth. After that I can close power windows ng and enable mcp's solid window moving option and Windows move smoothly over Workbench backdrop. As soon as you disable and reenable Workbench backdrop, windows start to move slowly over Workbench backdrop again.

So I need to somehow make Workbench backdrop to smooth refresh. Any idea how?
Old 26 November 2014, 20:41   #6
ancalimon
Supernormal

Found it. It's not elegant but it works.

Since Power Windows NG solid window moving option is inconsistent, I disabled it. I just enabled force smart refresh window option of PowerWindowsNG which makes Workbench backdrop smart refresh as well.

Then I enabled solid window move option MCP and everything is working smoothly now! (right now I'm trying to figure out how to start powerwindowsng before mcp in startup-sequence)

I wish someone with skills could fix PowerWindowsNG !

EDIT: Found a better way. Got smartwin from aminet. http://aminet.net/package/util/cdity/smartwin31_usr

I used "run >NIL: c:cmartwin" before mcp and it works:

[ Show youtube player ]

Now I need to figure out what Cybergraphx patches to use. Also where to run certain programs (like smartwin or layersantihack or mcp)

Last edited by ancalimon; 27 November 2014 at 07:34.