English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Coders > Coders. General

Old 18 May 2020, 14:51   #1
skan
Dream Merchant

SNASM / PsyQ / PDS - Amiga to Amiga

Maybe a silly question, dunno, but it just popped into mind yestereday... did such a system exist instead of the usual PC-to-Amiga cross dev?
Old 18 May 2020, 15:16   #2
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

The majority of the systems were run on PC, but i'm pretty sure SNASM had variations that ran on Amiga as well as i'm sure Team 17 used them, but typically most of the systems were PC because of the cheaper access to hard drives which was essential for faster assembling.

Some poor sods didn't even use a development system and did it all on Mega ST's or Amigas with a damned floppy drive!!!
Old 18 May 2020, 23:41   #3
skan
Dream Merchant

Thanks, much appreciated!
It would be really cool to get more info on that Team17 amiga-to-amiga dev system.

Last edited by skan; 19 May 2020 at 12:38. Reason: English, please!
Old 20 May 2020, 11:04   #4
Phantasm
Not a Rebel anymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by skan View Post
Thanks, much appreciated!
It would be really cool to get more info on that Team17 amiga-to-amiga dev system.

agreed. This stuff is quite interesting but there is very limited amounts of information about any of it.

I developed using PsyQ on the PS-1 back in the day. PsyQ was also developed by SN Systems working with Psygnosis and was basically the second generation of SNASM.

We used two types of PS-1 development kits. There was the usual blue ps1 with a hardware interface to the PC to allow remote debugging and cross compiling and we also had PS-1 on a card that plugged into the PC directly and just had a cable coming out of the back that plugged into a TV.
Old 21 May 2020, 13:31   #5
skan
Dream Merchant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantasm View Post
I developed using PsyQ on the PS-1 back in the day. PsyQ was also developed by SN Systems working with Psygnosis and was basically the second generation of SNASM.

We used two types of PS-1 development kits. There was the usual blue ps1 with a hardware interface to the PC to allow remote debugging and cross compiling and we also had PS-1 on a card that plugged into the PC directly and just had a cable coming out of the back that plugged into a TV.
Cool! I remember I read somewhere that amiga-psx crossdev was possible as well, but can't find that info anymore... (apart from this https://bigbookofamigahardware.com/b...t.aspx?id=1965 )
Old 21 May 2020, 13:49   #6
Phantasm
Not a Rebel anymore

Quote:
Cool! I remember I read somewhere that amiga-psx crossdev was possible as well, but can't find that info anymore... (apart from this https://bigbookofamigahardware.com/b...t.aspx?id=1965 )
Not sure you'd want to do amiga-psx cross dev lol. I remember the pentium 2 pc's at 133mhz that we are using to cross compile took quite a while to build the entire game source (like 15 minutes or so)
Old 21 May 2020, 13:57   #7
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

Putty Squad used Psy-Q.
Old 21 May 2020, 15:13   #8
skan
Dream Merchant

Quote:
Not sure you'd want to do amiga-psx cross dev lol. I remember the pentium 2 pc's at 133mhz that we are using to cross compile took quite a while to build the entire game source (like 15 minutes or so)
Of course not, that was just out of curiosity for "historical" reasons. I find pretty fascinating that such stuff existed at all.

In case of amiga-amiga crossdev, on the other hand... I can see some interesting scenarios. Again, just curiosity.
Old 22 May 2020, 18:10   #9
DeaTure

Quote:
I believe someone made Amiga tools for the Net Yaroze PSX hobby development kit. I think it was someone working for FUNCOM, but I don't remember for certain
Old 22 May 2020, 23:26   #10
skan
Dream Merchant

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaTure View Post
I believe someone made Amiga tools for the Net Yaroze PSX hobby development kit. I think it was someone working for FUNCOM, but I don't remember for certain
http://aminet.net/package/dev/cross/FG-PSXControl maybe this one?
Old 23 May 2020, 00:19   #11
skan
Dream Merchant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galahad/FLT View Post
Putty Squad used Psy-Q.
Yeah I remember you mentioned that in an interview. Impressive work btw!
Old 18 July 2020, 09:13   #12
skan
Dream Merchant

Bumping this because I was thinking about this idea lately... how would a modern version of a similar tool work? The Amiga-Amiga version I mean, could it be done somehow? What do we need, some custom glue hardware maybe? Let's say f.i. an A4000 dev machine linked to an A500 through CPU slot I suppose? What kind of software layer needs to be written?
Old 22 July 2020, 17:55   #13
Phantasm
Not a Rebel anymore

Quote:
Bumping this because I was thinking about this idea lately... how would a modern version of a similar tool work? The Amiga-Amiga version I mean, could it be done somehow? What do we need, some custom glue hardware maybe? Let's say f.i. an A4000 dev machine linked to an A500 through CPU slot I suppose? What kind of software layer needs to be written?

i don't think it matters that much how the machines link together. You'd need a software layer that would be included in debug builds of your software that allowed you to remote debug your application. So the software layer would basically be a debugger and you would include a call to the routine once per frame so that it could check for incoming commands over whatever connection you had to your dev machine. The debugger would also need to be triggered on a breakpoint or exception. You would also need the user interface side of the debugger to be running on the dev machine to send commands.

Alternatively if you didn't want to do it by including code to allow this to work you could probably do it by constructing something like an action replay cart with a communication port
Old 22 July 2020, 19:52   #14
DanScott
Lemon. / Core Design

I seem to remember maybe Richard Aplin wrote code on one Amiga, and then sent it to another Amiga to run... but I might be wrong (hazy memories)
Old 22 July 2020, 22:28   #15
mcgeezer

At Zeppelin, they were using ST’s to program Amiga’s and C64’s.

Would love to get hold of the stuff they used to do it.
Old 23 July 2020, 13:45   #16
skan
Dream Merchant

Quote:
Alternatively if you didn't want to do it by including code to allow this to work you could probably do it by constructing something like an action replay cart with a communication port
Mhmh, interesting!
Old 23 July 2020, 14:44   #17
DeaTure

In Upfront we had a Amiga->C64 kit called Einstein Assembler and I know friends with a double C64 setup
Old 18 August 2020, 19:13   #18
skan
Dream Merchant

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaTure View Post
In Upfront we had a Amiga->C64 kit called Einstein Assembler and I know friends with a double C64 setup
Double C64 setup sounds extremely cool!
Old 05 July 2021, 07:15   #19
RichAplin

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanScott View Post
I seem to remember maybe Richard Aplin wrote code on one Amiga, and then sent it to another Amiga to run... but I might be wrong (hazy memories)
Yep, I used a parallel port cable; assembled on an A500+A590, then download to either Amiga or ST target running totally bare-metal.
No extra hardware reqd, just a 25-pin D cable. Big time-saver
Old 05 July 2021, 07:20   #20
RichAplin

Actually waaaay before that... I wrote a 6502 assembler for my Amstrad CPC, then downloaded to C64. I wrote a couple of C64 games that way.

Widely used (by Binary Design at least) in the 8-bit days was a Tatung Einstein (crappy MSX-like computer) cross-assembling onto Spectrum, Amstrad, etc.

And of course "PDS" (PC cross-assembling onto Z80/6502 targets) - that was fucking fast, a pleasure to use. I recall doing Amstrad Double Dragon 1/2 on that